Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Dan

Would you accept this combination for such a small new build?
    It is ONE OPTION. Good ?
    Seems to be An "OLD SCHOOL" concept.

I can only say it is a step closer to a better solution at-this-time.

Mini-Split & Small VENTILATING Dehumidifier would be appropriate.
    AIR DISTRIBUTION is a concern in this set-up.

Houston TX is probably one of the most difficult areas in the U.S. for controlling humidity.

There are ALWAYS six ways to address most HVAC issues.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

2. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    It is ONE OPTION. Good ?

Houston TX is probably one of the most difficult areas in the U.S. for controlling humidity.

That's why I asked.

We lived in Houston for several years, it has all of the worse but almost perfect for slightly undersized. During the day plenty of run time to dehumidify and once the sun goes down now perfect operating conditions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    S8B1A026M2 and S8X1 series
    OK, I found this https://www.trane.com/content/dam/Tr...%20Furnace.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    It is ONE OPTION. Good ?

I really didn't want a mini split and there is really no where to put the inside unit. Originally, I wanted a dehumidifier with all this, and was also going to get the big 4-5" pleated filter, allergies, asthma. Mini splits don't really have great filtration, more like the old window AC filtration, and from what I have researched require cleaning, probably more often than not in our mold driven climate. This room is going to end up essentials the 3 bedroom in this house, not an occasionally used space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1584 View Post
    Yes, I’m thinking the S8B1 model is obsolete? even thou it’s listed on Trane 2020 web-site. I’m thinking it has a PSC blower motor, I could be wrong thou, whereas the S8X1 has the more energy efficient ECM blower motor.

Manufacturers of gas furnaces, stopped production of furnaces with PSC motors on 3 July 2019, but they can be found at distributors collecting dust but for sale while inventories last.

So is the cased coil you referenced already installed at the residence?

As doubt it’s would be a match, ( the full manufacturers warranty thing ) and it looks like the S8X1 handles up to a 2 ton coil, your is a 3 ton I believe.

Except from Trane warranty, the last paragraph talks about AHRI equipment to receive the maximum manufacturers warranty.

https://resource.gemaire.com/is/cont...ar.pdf?fmt=pdf

Page 2 American Standard/Trane same warranty.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required in order for the Products to be covered under this limited warranty: • The Products must be in the same location where they were originally installed.
    • The Products must be properly installed, operated, and maintained by a licensed HVAC service provider in accordance with the Product specifications or installation,
    operation, and maintenance instructions provided by Company with each Product. Failure to conform to such specifications and/or instructions shall void this limited
    warranty. Company may request written documentation showing the proper preventative maintenance.
    • All Product parts replaced by Company under this limited warranty must be given to the servicing provider for return to Company.
    • Air handlers, air conditioners, heat pumps, cased or uncased coils and stand-alone furnaces must be part of an Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute
    rated and matched system or a specification in a Company provided bulletin or otherwise approved in writing by a Company authorized representative

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That's why I asked.

We lived in Houston for several years, it has all of the worse but almost perfect for slightly undersized. During the day plenty of run time to dehumidify and once the sun goes down now perfect operating conditions.
    So you know the humidity. I find the worst for climate control, is when the temperature drops enough that the AC doesn't run, but the humidity is so high. So you turn the AC temp down and freeze, if you don't you are clammy to dripping wet. I was thinking the variable speed, of the blower and/or condenser would help with that, Not sure I completely have the grasp of it all.

Post Likes
    I really didn't want a mini split and there is really no where to put the inside unit. Originally, I wanted a dehumidifier with all this, and was also going to get the big 4-5" pleated filter, allergies, asthma. Mini splits don't really have great filtration, more like the old window AC filtration, and from what I have researched require cleaning, probably more often than not in our mold driven climate. This room is going to end up essentials the 3 bedroom in this house, not an occasionally used space.
    A ducted Mini can have a 4" pleated filter adapted. Gives you the variable speed capability that Trane wont. Dead quite!

1 example There are several out there
    https://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/pr...uct/index.html

9. Likes VTP99, ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes, I’m thinking the S8B1 model is obsolete? even thou it’s listed on Trane 2020 web-site. I’m thinking it has a PSC blower motor, whereas the S8X1 has the more energy efficient ECM blower motor.

Manufacturers of gas furnaces, stopped production of furnaces with PSC motors in 3 July 2019, but they can be found at distributors collecting dust for sale while inventories last. I could be wrong thou...

So is the cased coil you referenced already installed at the residence? as doubt it’s would be a match, ( the full manufacturers warranty thing ) and it looks like the S8X1 handles up to a 2 ton coil.

Except from Trane warranty, the last paragraph talks about AHRI equipment to receive the maximum manufacturers warranty.

https://resource.gemaire.com/is/cont...ar.pdf?fmt=pdf

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required in order for the Products to be covered under this limited warranty: • The Products must be in the same location where they were originally installed.
    • The Products must be properly installed, operated, and maintained by a licensed HVAC service provider in accordance with the Product specifications or installation,
    operation, and maintenance instructions provided by Company with each Product. Failure to conform to such specifications and/or instructions shall void this limited
    warranty. Company may request written documentation showing the proper preventative maintenance.
    • All Product parts replaced by Company under this limited warranty must be given to the servicing provider for return to Company.
    • Air handlers, air conditioners, heat pumps, cased or uncased coils and stand-alone furnaces must be part of an Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute
    rated and matched system or a specification in a Company provided bulletin or otherwise approved in writing by a Company authorized representative
    Here is what is listed on the unit in the attic. There is nothing installed outside.
    Model no. 4TXCB003DS3HCAA
    Serial no. 201123DJ5G
    mfg 3/2020
    suitable for Mobile use
    Design PSI 480

I think this does have the EMC blower.

Post Likes
    Is the coil you list just up in the attic, laying around or is it hooked to the ductwork? If it’s hooked up, whomever has the job of installing the HVAC, are they going to wing it with the outdoor unit and furnace or is there model numbers they propose.

That coil looks to handle anywhere from a 1.5 ton outdoor unit on up probably up to 3 tons as Trane web-site says that coil is rated from 18,000 BTU-36000 BTU ton if I’m reading it correctly.

Post 73- “ I think this does have the EMC blower.”

That coil does not have a motor, it’s jus a sheetmetal box with a coil and drain pan inside it. Its called a cased coil. The letter designation are ECM for the motor.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-28-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Post Likes
    Is the coil you list just up in the attic, laying around or is it hooked to the ductwork? If it’s hooked up, whomever has the job of installing the HVAC, are they going to wing it with the outdoor unit and furnace or is there model numbers they propose.

That coil looks to handle anywhere from a 1.5 ton outdoor unit on up probably up to 3 tons as Trane web-site says that coil is rated from 18,000 BTU-36000 BTU ton if I’m reading it correctly.

Post 73- “ I think this does have the EMC blower.”

That coil does not have a motor, it’s jus a sheetmetal box with a coil and drain pan inside it. Its called a cased coil. The letter designation are ECM for the motor.
    I don't know how to add a picture that I had taken. There is duct work hooked up but not connected to the ceiling outlets. Some is laying on the floor, which if I understand correctly should be suspended, probably this has not been done yet, maybe.

Post Likes
    I don't know how to add a picture that I had taken.
    Click on

Go Advanced

scroll down to
    Manage Attachments

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Challenge? the understatement of the decade. but thank you for reiterating this. A lot of these Pro's here don't understand that Houston is like it's own Bermuda Triangle of heat and humidity. I would love to see some of these Pro's here, come to Houston and sell a downsized system, if there's any volunteers, I'll give you a $100.00 for every downsized sale, and you can give me $100.00 for every job you can't sale a downsized system, fair enough?
    Ha, ha, ha...

Yeah... being formerly from Houston... I know the climate down there better than I want to remember...

Houston is a good climate for a HP system... the winters RARELY get cold enough for a small strip to handle... and the summers are literally brutal!!!

I would suggest: get a qualified heating and AC guy out to look at it...
    Remember as noted above: the HVAC guy works for YOU, not for the GC!
    Ask your friends/family for a referral of someone they TRUST!!!

If I was down there, I would come by... however do not have a Texas license....
    While we are on the subject of license... do NOT allow anyone without credentials to even come out...

Now to finish reading the thread...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Is this the back up? (3) Trane 10 kW (7.2 – 9.6 kW) Electric Heater BAYHTR1510BRKC with Breaker. Is the heap pump serving to cool the air also. I am talking days in a row with over 100 degrees and very high humidity.
    Yes, and yes...

Strip heat (KW rated) is the backup heat... needed when outdoor temps go below freezing.
    Yes... a HP is an AC that heats...
    And yes... Houston is BRUTAL... and it is not even summer yet...

What part of the metro city area do you live in... I used to be in Spring Valley, off I-10 west
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast