Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I am in a Panic please Help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    Trane does have a 26kbtu 80% furnace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That might be perfect AT design conditions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Just so I'm reading this right, you're trying to a/c heat a total of 800 sq.ft. and this includes the 16x24 area?
    No, and I am sorry for the confusion. Originally my request during the design phase of this new building was to have the HVAC service the apartment and this 16X24 area on the ground floor(attached to the front of the garage.) I requested it be zoned so I could open up this area and use as a open air porch, or close the windows and have it heated/cooled with the rest of the structure. During the design phase, despite my asking where is the ductwork going to go, how are we getting the air down there, it was neglected. So now we are only using the current proposal HVAC for the apartment. We will, when the addition is completed, connect that system to this porch area, again, I am asking for this to be able to be zoned so I can close it off at will.

So to sum up this proposed system is only for the 800 s/f apartment in Houston.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    Trane does have a 26kbtu 80% furnace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I shall investigate. Thank you.

Post Likes
    You might want to use a separate unit for the 16x24 area, if you intend to use it with the windows open at times.

The reason why, is that the return duct will allow hot or higher humidity air to enter the area above it. Causing that area to have high humidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You might want to use a separate unit for the 16x24 area, if you intend to use it with the windows open at times.

The reason why, is that the return duct will allow hot or higher humidity air to enter the area above it. Causing that area to have high humidity.
    Well my fault for confusing everyone. The 16X 24 room(on the the first floor), was initially to be on this system. Because of structural design problem it will not be included. The system I need is just for the 800s/f apartment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Your demands are going to raise the price of this project extremely high.

Gas heat is fine but finding one for this small of a foot print is almost impossible. I believe 40K BTU's is the smallest and that's probably 2 - 3 times whats required.

No Heat pumps is your decision but I feel is a mistake. You Do Not have to use the heat feature if you choose not to.
    A small system like this "Zoned" ? Only a duel zone Mini will be small enough for this requirement but your against those.

Lets start with Step 1

You need an accurate Load Loss calculation done. Complete the form I sent you, get back with the questions you have and well help.

Then we will know what size equipment you need and what your options are.
    Attempting to do the Load Loss calculation now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1584 View Post
    Attempting to do the Load Loss calculation now.
    You might want to get you a Coleman RV Heat Pump unit and mount it up on the roof and duct it to the inside.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    OK, here's where I am at. I am getting confused trying to get all the information to do the load calculation myself. Meanwhile, I directly asked my builder if I have a gas heater and was assured it was gas.

I have called Trane corporate for help and am was referred to my local dealer, there is no support for the customer. They were very nice though. So I called the dealer that installed a Tran in my current home 2 years ago and picked his brain. Yes the proposal as written has an electric furnace, but the AC is a conventional system not a heat pump. He explained that the electric might be because I won't have gas service. The apartment has a gas cooktop, a gas water heater, and a pool is being built which will have a large gas heater. He also thought 3 T, even with a vaulted ceiling and a wall of windows seems large. I then called another dealer for Trane and asked the same questions and received the same information.

Quite frankly I feel as if being blown off. "I don't know where you are getting your information from." is typical of one comment I got.

This building is new from the ground up. It is a very expensive project, this building, then an addition to connect this building to the original 1904 bungalow. The house in on the Natl. Historic Register, though not in the historic district, and I want to do justice to the the original house, the lot, and the neighborhood.

Post Likes

OK, here's where I am at.
    I am getting confused trying to get all the information to do the load calculation myself.
    Meanwhile, I directly asked my builder if I have a gas heater and was assured it was gas.

I have called Trane corporate for help and am was referred to my local dealer, there is no support for the customer. They were very nice though.
    So I called the dealer that installed a Tran in my current home 2 years ago and picked his brain.
    Yes the proposal as written has an electric furnace, but the AC is a conventional system not a heat pump.
    He explained that the electric might be because I won't have gas service.

The apartment has a gas cooktop, a gas water heater, and a pool is being built which will have a large gas heater. He also thought 3 T, even with a vaulted ceiling and a wall of windows seems large.
    I then called another dealer for Trane and asked the same questions and received the same information.

Quite frankly I feel as if being blown off.
    "I don't know where you are getting your information from." is typical of one comment I got.

POST # 3 provides a simplified Load Calculation.

Quite frankly, I ALSO Feel as if I have been blown off.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Perhaps you might want to bring in an engineer to do your load calc and design.

11. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The house in on the Natl. Historic Register, though not in the historic district, and I want to do justice to the the original house, the lot, and the neighborhood.
    You might want to get the plans signed off by the Mayor. We looked at a job on XXXX North Blvd, but it's in the historic district, it was next to impossible to do anything to that home, could not do anything on the outside, we spent days over there trying to figure out the a/c on it. Had 2 systems in the basement and one on the 3rd floor, I know you probably know the home I'm talking about, it's probably still under construction. We finally gave up, the money was beyond great, problem was, the job was impossible to do.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    POST # 3 provides a simplified Load Calculation.

Quite frankly, I ALSO Feel as if I have been blown off.
    Dan, I sent PM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Perhaps you might want to bring in an engineer to do your load calc and design.
    I thought of that, coming from a family of engineers but for some reason this entire process has been plagues with bad engineering.. From the large well established firm that did the drainage and detention plan, required for lots over 15,000 s/f, Harris Co. Houston, in effect after Hurricane Harvey, that too almost 6 months to get their plans approve by permitting. This was not the fault of Permitting Dept. I read all the comments and replies and went over all the drawing. Comments were made by permitting that the firm failed to respond to, and then reflect on the drawing for resubmitting. Same original comments, answer 2, show 1 on drawing, resubmitted. There were no additional comments from the permitting dept, the engineering firm just did not complete the entire gob in one go round. Rinse and repeat for over 5 more months for 6 submittals. Also the plans were sent to another engineering firm to do structural and that has contributed to this HVAC problem, as no one thought to include in the design or structure, despite repeated oral and written direction from me to include this, asking where everything was going to go. I looked forward to doing this, making a place for my adult children to come with their families.

15. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You might want to get the plans signed off by the Mayor. We looked at a job on XXXX North Blvd, but it's in the historic district, it was next to impossible to do anything to that home, could not do anything on the outside, we spent days over there trying to figure out the a/c on it. Had 2 systems in the basement and one on the 3rd floor, I know you probably know the home I'm talking about, it's probably still under construction. We finally gave up, the money was beyond great, problem was, the job was impossible to do.
    Mr. Bill, I believe I my reply to 'been there" might apply to your comment as well. My house in not in the Historic District but is on the Natl Historic Register. So far the working with the city has been a breeze.

Post Likes
    News. I have the model number.

Model no. 4TXCB003DS3HCAA
    Serial no. 201123DJ5G
    mfg 3/2020
    suitable for Mobile use
    Design PSI 480

In googling it comes up with this https://www.gemaire.com/american-sta...specifications. This says American Standard and that it is a Heat Pump. I know AS and Trane are cousins.

I also find https://www.trane.com/content/dam/Tr...N_07012017.pdf.

So am I correct in that this is a HeatPump?

I had someone go look as it appears it is partially installed, no stairs yet. So she crawled up to take a picture of the label. Should there be a second piece up there? She's going back up as I didn't see any logo for Trane.

We have already had 3 days of record high temp and humidity, it is sub tropical here. When I was there Thursday it was 92 and humidity was horrible.

Post Likes
    News. I have the model number.

Model no. 4TXCB003DS3HCAA
    Serial no. 201123DJ5G
    mfg 3/2020
    suitable for Mobile use
    Design PSI 480

In googling it comes up with this https://www.gemaire.com/american-sta...specifications. This says American Standard and that it is a Heat Pump. I know AS and Trane are cousins.

I also find https://www.trane.com/content/dam/Tr...N_07012017.pdf.

So am I correct in that this is a HeatPump?

I had someone go look as it appears it is partially installed, no stairs yet. So she crawled up to take a picture of the label. Should there be a second piece up there? She's going back up as I didn't see any logo for Trane.

We have already had 3 days of record high temp and humidity, it is sub tropical here. When I was there Thursday it was 92 and humidity was horrible.
    So 2 days ago this was a new build and were discussing the importance of the installing contractor and Manual "J" Sizing and now the equipment is on site!

They sure are moving fast.

As far as I can tell yes that's a 3-Ton Heat Pump. Again 2 - 3 times the size needed for new construction.

Post Likes
    emailed you

Post Likes
    So 2 days ago this was a new build and were discussing the importance of the installing contractor and Manual "J" Sizing and now the equipment is on site!

They sure are moving fast.

As far as I can tell yes that's a 3-Ton Heat Pump. Again 2 - 3 times the size needed for new construction.
    I haven't been there in over a month, had sinus infection due to the rain of pollen here in Houston and now social distancing, last time I saw it they were pouring the slab and I was asking what do I need to decide on,

Post Likes
    I haven't been there in over a month, had sinus infection due to the rain of pollen here in Houston and now social distancing, last time I saw it they were pouring the slab and I was asking what do I need to decide on,
    Unfortunately you need to get a Manual "J" Performed ASAP.

Contact dan sw fl and get the information he requested in post #3.

Do you at least have electronic copies of the construction plans?

Post Likes
    Unfortunately you need to get a Manual "J" Performed ASAP.

Contact dan sw fl and get the information he requested in post #3.

Do you at least have electronic copies of the construction plans?
    yep, I am doing that now. I am relieved there is a forum such as this with people willing to help. That is encouraging. What is so discouraging is I really researched, interviewed, got recommendations for everything and everyone. I am learning fast that sometimes you are told what you want to hear. Flat out I have been told it is not a heat pump twice, that it is a gas furnace. Either my builder hasn't seen it yet and is getting his information from the contractor, or... and I really don't want to go there. I just can't help think if my husband was still here if the situation would be the same.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in