Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    129
    Post Likes

    Asbestos ducts must be replaced?

    Realtor here in California asking me if you replace your furnace, must you also replace the old asbestos wrapped ducts.
    I want to say no. As long as the ducts are in the attic and undisturbed, they can remain even if the furnace is replaced. Hoping someone can confirm that or correct me.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    10,284
    Post Likes
    In California they have found that everyone with cancer has drank water so water must be a cancer causing substance. That being said I can't imagine them letting asbestos getting a pass.

    I would say your best source would be your local inspector. The other thing is if the ducts are in the attic replacing the duct with a better insulation would be better, but more expensive considering the cost of removal.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,887
    Post Likes
    Had an incident years ago. Dead beat renter. Evicted him due to lack of rent. He gave a list of stuff to the city.

    One thing was maybe 10" of asbestos wrap on a 4" flu from a resi water heater. I wrapped it with plastic and tape or whatever.

    Inspector said it was not abated. I told her it was encapsulated, no need to abate. She tried to say it was asbestos and needed to go. I told her the amount was well under what regulations spoke of, and I'd be happy to throw it in the trash to be taken to the landfill, if that's what she wanted.

    Silence.

    I told her, look . . . There was someone who squated on this property. Paid a couple of months rent. Then it took me six months and X amount of dollars to have him forcibly removed by the sheriffs.

    This was on a list of stuff he tried to use in court.

    You want it removed, show me the code you are trying to enforce. I encapsulated it. As per federal regulations. She relented.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    26,294
    Post Likes
    I wouldn't touch the job with a known hazard like that!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    129
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I wouldn't touch the job with a known hazard like that!
    As long as the asbestos isnít friable and undisturbed I donít have a problem leaving it especially If the furnace is in a closet and ducts in the attic.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    129
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Had an incident years ago. Dead beat renter. Evicted him due to lack of rent. He gave a list of stuff to the city.

    One thing was maybe 10" of asbestos wrap on a 4" flu from a resi water heater. I wrapped it with plastic and tape or whatever.

    Inspector said it was not abated. I told her it was encapsulated, no need to abate. She tried to say it was asbestos and needed to go. I told her the amount was well under what regulations spoke of, and I'd be happy to throw it in the trash to be taken to the landfill, if that's what she wanted.

    Silence.

    I told her, look . . . There was someone who squated on this property. Paid a couple of months rent. Then it took me six months and X amount of dollars to have him forcibly removed by the sheriffs.

    This was on a list of stuff he tried to use in court.

    You want it removed, show me the code you are trying to enforce. I encapsulated it. As per federal regulations. She relented.
    Great job on calling her on that. Yes Iím hoping to see a code that says it must be replaced or that it can remain.
    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    26,294
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by navyguy1 View Post
    As long as the asbestos isn’t friable and undisturbed I don’t have a problem leaving it especially If the furnace is in a closet and ducts in the attic.
    By your own terminology “Friable”
    Duct asbestos IS Friable!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    WYO
    Posts
    2,176
    Post Likes
    Here statewide it is only enforced in commercial or multi family dwellings, and then only if disturbed, by a certified abatement Co. They are strict about disposal in double colored bags at a "certified asbestos disposal site" and the landfill is not one of them. I have no idea where they take the stuff.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    129
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    By your own terminology “Friable”
    Duct asbestos IS Friable!
    Only if itís disturbed, torn, cut into etc. The ducts in question are insulated with a cardboard/paper type material that contains ACM. (Asbestos containing martial.) itís not 100% asbestos. This material is then wrapped with a silver colored outer layer that keeps the asbestos from becoming friable and therefore airborne.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    26,294
    Post Likes
    Itís your call. I wouldnít touch it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,887
    Post Likes
    If you are not disturbing that ACM, then I'd say it's no big deal. How is the duct insulated right at the furnace?


    Quote Originally Posted by navyguy1 View Post
    Only if it’s disturbed, torn, cut into etc. The ducts in question are insulated with a cardboard/paper type material that contains ACM. (Asbestos containing martial.) it’s not 100% asbestos. This material is then wrapped with a silver colored outer layer that keeps the asbestos from becoming friable and therefore airborne.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    26,294
    Post Likes
    In the land of Everything causes Cancer can you even sell a house knowing there's Asbestos in it?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,887
    Post Likes
    Yeah, no problem, if you know about it, it just needs to be disclosed. Same with lead, or paint with lead in it.


    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    In the land of Everything causes Cancer can you even sell a house knowing there's Asbestos in it?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •