Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Best Manufacturers for large (10 BR) VRF systems

Dear team,

I am about to purchase a large VRF system for a large residential property in a very hot climate with seasonal humidity. I'm wondering if there are any do's and dont's to selecting a manufacturer? Currently evaluating 1) Daikin, 2)Trane, 3)Rheem 4) Toshiba

I'm also having FAHU and AHUs installed.

It seems that most manufacturers are producing decent equipment these days, but it's critical that I figure out if there are any pro's con's to consider between them.

Best
    A

Post Likes
    You are listed as a homeowner.
    What does your contractor suggest?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Yes, it's my property. They suggested I choose from the above selection, which they are indifferent to. I am the the one who will have to live with the system over the next couple of decades, so want to stay away from lemons or be aware of pro's con's of each. HVAC consumer reviews for VRF systems aren't exactly easy to come by on Amazon etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by antarxq View Post
    Yes, it's my property. They suggested I choose from the above selection, which they are indifferent to. I am the the one who will have to live with the system over the next couple of decades, so want to stay away from lemons or be aware of pro's con's of each. HVAC consumer reviews for VRF systems aren't exactly easy to come by on Amazon etc.
    Amazon

So your purchasing the equipment and having Joe Blow, (been doing this 18 months and are EPA cert) install the equipment?

Post Likes
    No, I have a main contractor who is building the project, they have an MEP sub contractor on board who is doing everything. In the spec for the HVAC, the consultant had specified a VRF system as we wanted to minimise the use of ducting and instead feed FCUs with refrigerant where the point of cooling was required.

The MEP contractor has come back to me prior to equipment purchase, to say there are the above mentioned vendors available, and asking whether I have any preference. Since HVAC reviews are hard to come by and I dont have HVAC equipment experience myself, I thought to see if this forum would be able to add any color.

I hope that is explanatory. Thanks

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    The reason reviews are hard to come by is because the Installing Contractor Makes or breaks the "System". Not following proper procedures, best industry practices, manufactures guidelines and you'll have issues / nightmares.

Choose the contractor first, the name on the boxes mean virtually nothing.

8. Likes antarxq liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What ever brand you choose. Make sure the contractor has training on it, and knows how to properly install, start up, and commission it. If not, you could end up with an expensive conversation piece.

Brand name is not important.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

10. Likes antarxq liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Brand name isn’t important. Consumer reviews don’t exist because they don’t matter.
    I’ve been doing VRF for a long time. Most of my work is with Samsung and Mitsubishi. But my customers include Daikin, LG, Yanmar, as well as the two listed above. The way the contractor installs the unit will determine how it runs. It is absolutely 100% imperative they know exactly how to select, build and install the system. Shop drawings with piping layouts. Refrigerant charging amounts. Wiring layouts.
    A couple of those brands you mentioned aren’t even brands. They are made by another company. The Trane isn’t really a Trane.
    The contractor also needs to be experienced in service procedures for that brand. You want to know my most used tool when working on VRF? My laptop computer and that brands service tool.
    Let’s start from the very beginning. Whom has done a manual J of the structure to determine required sizing?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

12. Likes ksefan, sonnyspop, antarxq liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Daikin and Toshiba make their own equipment. Find out what manufacturer produces the Trane and Rheem units. These like many products have only a limited number of manufacturers compared to infinite number of brands.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Mitsubishi makes Trane. Samsung used to but their partnership didn’t work out.
    Not sure who makes Rheems VRF.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Thanks for the guidance

Post Likes
    Thanks, seems this is a widely held view - good to know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast