+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial fresh air minimum question

Post Likes

Commercial fresh air minimum question

Okay I haven't jumped into the info of fresh air through ashrae or the epa just yet but I wanted to hear your thoughts on this example. So obviously many businesses are closed as of now because of the virus and I noticed that the property management company for a business park I work at has shut off all the mechanical equipment most likely to pat themselves on the back for saving energy. I am unable to find my Indoor Air Quality solutions book but I just wanted to get your thoughts since staff from security and janitorial still have to walk through these 110k sq ft buildings. I am wondering if the odds of getting sick of anything other than the virus are greater due to no air flow?

Post Likes
    Depends on what is off gassing inside the building. If it’s a new building then you may still have adhesives and paints and glues curing. Chemicals in carpets, drywall, etc..., cleaning products, CO2 build up...

Some buildings monitor for that stuff and operate their OA requirements based on the sensor input.

Other buildings go with the ASHRE minimum fresh air numbers for the occupancy and type of building it is.

I didn’t not have a great answer for you but if there are people in the building then it is still occupied and should be treated as such. I would instead suggest they should adjust the amount of OA to suit the new occupancy levels. Janitors are people who have rights to a safe work place and deserve to work in a conditioned place just like the rest of us...

... As I think about this more I recall the number of times I’ve worked in a freezer and on a sweltering hot roof top. The difference here is that I signed up to work in those temperature and they did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

3. Likes WAYNE3298 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's a good question ( what is considered occupied and what isn't ) worth looking up in the International Mechanical Code.

Post Likes
    We would use 10% of total capacity as Occupied / Unoccupied

If the base personnel Security, janitorial, electricians, engineering is below that # does it really matter? Look at it this way 110K Sq Ft with a hand full of personnel there probably plenty of air leaks, fans that are operating should be at there 10% minimum anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    That's a good question ( what is considered occupied and what isn't ) worth looking up in the International Mechanical Code.
    Your right, I should be more careful about how in express that. I was not stating a known fact, that was a personal opinion, I haven’t confirmed that and it would need to be checked for accuracy before they approach the customer with that information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    This is only a guess and a remembrance by memory, buy I thought the fresh air requirement used to be 15% and it was change up to 20% by code?
    Then the amount of people exhaling a given amount of CO2 entered into the figuring, I think.

Post Likes
    in that situation, I would be more worried about problems like high humidity causing mold or mildew.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    in that situation, I would be more worried about problems like high humidity causing mold or mildew.
    20% is a lot when you're trying to cool a place,as now desired sometimes 70, when it's 100 out with 58% humidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    20% is a lot when you're trying to cool a place,as now desired sometimes 70, when it's 100 out with 58% humidity.
    That totally depends on the Design!

Post Likes
    I agree that 20% sounds like a lot, but what is the ASHRAE,ACCA printed requirement?

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    www.Contracting Business. June 1,2006 an article by Rob 'Doc' Falke, titled "How Much Fresh Air Is Enough?" In his given condition and formula the #'s say 20%

14. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    DCV plus enough damper position for minimum occupancy cfm.

This is not official

Post Likes
    I was referring to the OP of shutting down all equipment for a building. with no air movement, or mechanical cooling, I would say there is a possibility for high humidity causing problems.

I think raising the set points would be a better option, rather than killing everything.

I'm sure there are a lot of "energy management" companies creaming their panties right now with the MASSIVE amount of money they are "saving" their customers.

Post Likes
    In my experience it’s depended on what the blue prints say or the local mechanical inspector. If it had a kitchen in it there always was a MUA unit.
    Residential installation was 3-4” with a damper, Commercial Splits and HP was 4” to 18” with a manual damper at the return section for “recommended specs” you needed to basically (at a minimum)match the exhaust “bathroom” fans.

Post Likes
    Maybe you can get away with 402.2 ...minimum at 4%

Post Likes
    4% of Fresh Air ? Where is that info coming from?

Try "Ventilation for Control of the Work Environment" by William A. Burgess, Michael J. Ellenbecker & Robert D. Treitman... 476 pgs.

It is a Good Read.

Post Likes
    In the photo document that's shown lower right corner, you can see it...section 402.2 its very short..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    In the photo document that's shown lower right corner, you can see it...section 402.2 its very short..
    Tks. I did not have my screen on "full screen" so the print was real small. lol.
    But, I think that says 4% of floor space. I'm not sure how that converts over to % of indoor air,as in CuFt %.

Post Likes
    It did not mention how old the building was also...air leakage alone in it should be considered a factor..I have also seen concrete floors wick water through into the buildings mainly at the floor seams. a moisture meter confirmed it.. Separate dehumidifiers was installed with the condensate tubing being drilled through the exterior walls and sealed as they was the worst rooms. It was pointed out the building also had a lower base elevation than the rest..I joked about ripping out the parking lot around the building to re-pitch the water away from it..I also got into trouble for joking about it, lol..Some people just don't understand. lol

I do use a Flir E4 to show air leakage...It one of the best tools in my arsenal...especially ductwork leaks...and checking vent temps. I also found a few flex connections that blew off in the dropped ceiling that way...the customer was really happy especially because no one else checked it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in