Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Can someone justify the cost difference between a Dixell controller over a A12-701 on a refrigerator?
    Nope no justification for a cooler. All that's needed is off cycle defrost.
    Yet you see manufacturers using these electronic controls on simple appreciations only to create additional service issues down the road.
    Mostly with the premature sensor failures.

Post Likes
    I have no issue replacing like for like but when the see what its going to cost
    Twice the price of an A12

Post Likes
    I had a one door TurboAir freezer that the control was gonna be almost twice that amount.
    They still haven't done anything to fix it.

Post Likes
    After doing some perusing I decided that for now and the foreseeable future I will concentrate only on the Universal-R and the Universal-XR series of controllers. So for the moment I put all other (OEM, non R/XR) Dixell in a different binder. Life looks brighter and easier all of a sudden,LOL.

Post Likes
    Johnson has a Dixell style controller new on the market. I'm not sure if it for sale yet
    http://penncontrols.com/products/tem...rols/tc-series
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Are you up at this hour studying????? I am !

I am 1 hour east of NYC on Long Island.
    I just seen this reply along with the others. Yea man for sure. I enjoy learning something new in this trade. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.
    👍🏻
    Sent from a mechanical closet!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    The FS ( Fan Stop ) setting is a safety feature.
    On a mechanical setup your FDTS ( Fan Delay Termination Switch ) will do the same thing, typically around 55°f.
    Your electronic controller which uses thermistors ( one in coil one for ambient ) will sense coil temperature to determine when fans should come on ( coming out of defrost ) or when to shut off ( rise in temperature above setting ).
    Note that the control will shutoff the fans in a defrost mode as well.

If the control parameters are set properly then I'd be looking for a system problem. Possibly low on refrigerant / starving TEV etc.
    This could cause the coil to not reach a proper temperature and creating the cycling you've witnessed.
    Totally agree with you. But I confirmed all out that. I tested with my meter and seen the control will stop outputting the evap fan signal. Also on the display I noticed the fan symbol will go away as if something is telling the control to stop the fan. My coil thermistor was reading 16 degrees so I know the coil temp is below freezing according to the controller. In reality that setting should have been up at 32 degrees. But I did not have the manual to know what fs meant and change the parameter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    All I have on Dixell
    Yea that was the kind of manual I was in search of. I found it on line. I never got a notification that everyone replied to this thread/post. Thank you

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=anthonyac1;25846640 My coil thermistor was reading 16 degrees so I know the coil temp is below freezing according to the controller.[/QUOTE]

How did you know the sensor was reading 16 degrees ?

Post Likes
    Anthony,are you sure the fans cycle at 32*F? That seems a little high. The remaining moisture/water on the coil after a defrost is supposed to refreeze before the fans restart. What temp did the the old mechanical DTFD function at?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    How did you know the sensor was reading 16 degrees ?
    I stuck a probe style thermistor in the coil near the coil temp sensor and confirmed it was reading accurate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Anthony,are you sure the fans cycle at 32*F? That seems a little high. The remaining moisture/water on the coil after a defrost is supposed to refreeze before the fans restart. What temp did the the old mechanical DTFD function at?
    This particular unit from factory used the dixell controller with the coil thermistor/sensor. This setup never had the standard round 3 wire DTFD klixon type. I was just using that as a comparison to the purpose of this thermistor in the coil. The main thing that I was not sure about was the fan stop parameter. It was late once I got home on the computer but it seemed as the fans stop once the evap temp goes above your fan stop setting.
    I mentioned 32 degrees f. Because the moisture will freeze onto the coil once it reaches 32 degrees f. Over the years I see a lot of manufacturers use the dtfd switch with a 35 degree f fan delay setting. So the switch will close at 35 degrees f. This never made sense when I used to first see them. But these 35 degree fan delay switches are not in contact with the copper U bends. This type is screwed to the aluminum tube sheet about 1 or 2” from the copper coil. So I figured by the time the tube sheet dropped to 35 degrees the actual coil is below 32 degrees. Since this thermistor is in the coil I would figure for this purpose it should be set to atleast 32 degrees or colder. But too cold will cause the evap fans to continue to cycle as its trying to bring down the box temp. Until the box temp gets down cold enough.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    I stuck a probe style thermistor in the coil near the coil temp sensor and confirmed it was reading accurate.
    But that would just tell you the temperature of the coil.
    You need to test the sensor to be sure it's reading that same coil temperature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast