Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

apply diagnostic fee to repair - yes or no?

Just wondering how common it is for HVAC companies to apply the diagnostic fee to the repair cost. Maybe this varies from company to company. Or maybe it depends on whether the part is under warranty.

I just got a quote for warranty work and the diagnostic fee (that I paid today) was not shown as applicable to the repair cost. A few years ago when I had a problem not under warranty (second older system), I recall that the diagnostic fee was credited to the repair cost.

Post Likes
    Well in the latter case I would be willing to bet it was worked into the final bill.

3. Likes thefisch, STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Well in the latter case I would be willing to bet it was worked into the final bill.
    So I'm paying for it one way or the other. I figured with warranty work that there was no margin on the part so they made it up with the diagnostic fee.

Post Likes
    It could depend on how many trips were involved as well.
    Most companies don't want to do warranty work because there's no money to be made.
    If the company installed the equipment they could have added a buffer up front in the bid to cover warranty service.

6. Likes thefisch liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    It could depend on how many trips were involved as well.
    Most companies don't want to do warranty work because there's no money to be made.
    If the company installed the equipment they could have added a buffer up front in the bid to cover warranty service.
    First trip was today and they installed the system three years ago.

Totally unrelated, but I had a water heater fail within the warranty period, and the calls for warranty service were interesting. I remember how much labor was in quotes when priced separately for initial install, but the labor for a water heater swap was about $ higher than the separately quoted labor when purchasing the new water heater.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-24-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Post Likes
    Exactly, if their not markings up the price on the materials it's gonna be in the labor.
    On the contrary if the markup is in the materials the labor can be less.
    Ultimately in the end the quality in the install or repair should offset the price in the long run. 👍🏻

9. Likes thefisch liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I get this question quite a bit. It’s a lie. There’s no free diagnostic. Companies will advertise free diagnostic “with repair”. This means you’re paying the diagnostic in the repair. So say the diagnostic is $X. The repair is $X well the company that credits the diagnostic, their repair bill is $2X. It makes customers feel like the got something for nothing. It the oldest sales scheme in the book.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

11. Likes BALloyd, thefisch, Mimbler liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    Just wondering how common it is for HVAC companies to apply the diagnostic fee to the repair cost. Maybe this varies from company to company. Or maybe it depends on whether the part is under warranty.

I just got a quote for warranty work and the diagnostic fee (that I paid today) was not shown as applicable to the repair cost. A few years ago when I had a problem not under warranty (second older system), I recall that the diagnostic fee was credited to the repair cost.
    The way I work is that if the repair is over a certain amount, I will not charge a diagnostic fee.

But under normal circumstances I have a basic diagnostic/trip charge to come out to the residence.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

13. Likes thefisch liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    The way I work is that if the repair is over a certain amount, I will not charge a diagnostic fee.

But under normal circumstances I have a basic diagnostic/trip charge to come out to the residence.
    I can understand a minimum repair cost approach. Kind of like free shipping for orders over a certain dollar amount.

Post Likes
    Get the word "free" from your vocabulary. Nothing in this world is free.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Get the word "free" from your vocabulary. Nothing in this world is free.
    We Americans love to believe we're getting something for nothing, that's why it's such an effective sales pitch!! But wait there's more! Order within the next 5 minutes and we'll double your order. YES, get 2 pieces of junk for the price of 1! ACT NOW!!!

Wake up people! That's why the average salesman makes double of what the average tech makes.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Don't forget the handling fee 😆

Post Likes
    And
    Waterfront
    BMW
    Bentley
    Security Gates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast