Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tampa Bay area
    Posts
    173
    Post Likes

    apply diagnostic fee to repair - yes or no?

    Just wondering how common it is for HVAC companies to apply the diagnostic fee to the repair cost. Maybe this varies from company to company. Or maybe it depends on whether the part is under warranty.

    I just got a quote for warranty work and the diagnostic fee (that I paid today) was not shown as applicable to the repair cost. A few years ago when I had a problem not under warranty (second older system), I recall that the diagnostic fee was credited to the repair cost.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,279
    Post Likes
    Well in the latter case I would be willing to bet it was worked into the final bill.

  3. Likes thefisch, STEVEusaPA liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tampa Bay area
    Posts
    173
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Well in the latter case I would be willing to bet it was worked into the final bill.
    So I'm paying for it one way or the other. I figured with warranty work that there was no margin on the part so they made it up with the diagnostic fee.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,279
    Post Likes
    It could depend on how many trips were involved as well.
    Most companies don't want to do warranty work because there's no money to be made.
    If the company installed the equipment they could have added a buffer up front in the bid to cover warranty service.

  6. Likes thefisch liked this post.
  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tampa Bay area
    Posts
    173
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    It could depend on how many trips were involved as well.
    Most companies don't want to do warranty work because there's no money to be made.
    If the company installed the equipment they could have added a buffer up front in the bid to cover warranty service.
    First trip was today and they installed the system three years ago.

    Totally unrelated, but I had a water heater fail within the warranty period, and the calls for warranty service were interesting. I remember how much labor was in quotes when priced separately for initial install, but the labor for a water heater swap was about $ higher than the separately quoted labor when purchasing the new water heater.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-24-2020 at 08:05 AM.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,279
    Post Likes
    Exactly, if their not markings up the price on the materials it's gonna be in the labor.
    On the contrary if the markup is in the materials the labor can be less.
    Ultimately in the end the quality in the install or repair should offset the price in the long run. 👍🏻

  9. Likes thefisch liked this post.
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,743
    Post Likes
    I get this question quite a bit. It’s a lie. There’s no free diagnostic. Companies will advertise free diagnostic “with repair”. This means you’re paying the diagnostic in the repair. So say the diagnostic is $X. The repair is $X well the company that credits the diagnostic, their repair bill is $2X. It makes customers feel like the got something for nothing. It the oldest sales scheme in the book.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

  11. Likes BALloyd, thefisch, Mimbler liked this post.
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    Just wondering how common it is for HVAC companies to apply the diagnostic fee to the repair cost. Maybe this varies from company to company. Or maybe it depends on whether the part is under warranty.

    I just got a quote for warranty work and the diagnostic fee (that I paid today) was not shown as applicable to the repair cost. A few years ago when I had a problem not under warranty (second older system), I recall that the diagnostic fee was credited to the repair cost.
    The way I work is that if the repair is over a certain amount, I will not charge a diagnostic fee.

    But under normal circumstances I have a basic diagnostic/trip charge to come out to the residence.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  13. Likes thefisch liked this post.
  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tampa Bay area
    Posts
    173
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    The way I work is that if the repair is over a certain amount, I will not charge a diagnostic fee.

    But under normal circumstances I have a basic diagnostic/trip charge to come out to the residence.
    I can understand a minimum repair cost approach. Kind of like free shipping for orders over a certain dollar amount.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    3,030
    Post Likes
    Get the word "free" from your vocabulary. Nothing in this world is free.
    Doug

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,743
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Get the word "free" from your vocabulary. Nothing in this world is free.
    We Americans love to believe we're getting something for nothing, that's why it's such an effective sales pitch!! But wait there's more! Order within the next 5 minutes and we'll double your order. YES, get 2 pieces of junk for the price of 1! ACT NOW!!!

    Wake up people! That's why the average salesman makes double of what the average tech makes.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,279
    Post Likes
    Don't forget the handling fee 😆

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,162
    Post Likes
    And
    Waterfront
    BMW
    Bentley
    Security Gates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR