Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I say screw the quarantine unless you are infected but put on travel restrictions as in no travel. You stay in your area of residence unless you are a trucker carrying supplies.

Most of the cases I hear about is they traveled somewhere. Of the cases we have here most were brought in from cruise ships, a few had traveled abroad and a couple others within the states. Those had all been contained in the Omaha are until someone from Lincoln came in contact with someone from Omaha. Lincoln is now up to 3. We have a guy that has tested positive but have not head the particulars on where he may have been but it is doubtful he has stayed home.

I said in the beginning that common sense would be our best friend on this thing. If people would stay home except to work and pick up needed items we would limit the infections. However it looks like people are still traveling within the states and city to city. All this does is increase the spread risk/rate. Big cities will take the brunt of the spread so people should avoid it if possible. I realize sometimes you don't have a choice but most of the time that travel can be put off for a week or two. I don't think this would have as big an economic hardship on the country as shutting down state by state.
    Travel cannot be stopped, what are they going to do? Pull you over and ask "papers please, where are you going?"

pick up needed items What? Who can say my 30 pack of bud or carton of pall-mall is less needed than your yogurt? It's simply non-enforceable. People are going to have to work this out on their own. Government intervention is not going to help us.

I am not disagreeing with anything you said, just adding a thought.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    It is only 15 days because it would be unwise to commit to a long-term strategy without knowing what we are dealing with yet.

It is also unwise to poop on the bans. This is the time for observation. People who are not in compliance taint the data.

The real issue with this one is that it is quite unlike SARS, MERS and Ebola. Because a carrier can have it and pass it for around 5 days before they even experience symptoms. Essentially, we have a bunch of Typhoid Mary's running around.

Also of concern is the length of time the virus can exist outside the body. That will depend on what it is trying to exist on, if you will. Right now, plastics and stainless steel seem to be bad on that front as seen in the testing aboard cruise ships after they are empty.

Again, scoff at the bans and such at your own peril, and that of your loved ones. Hopefully, eventually it will turn benign before it turns in to a super-strain. Because then we go from pandemic to epidemic.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." ― Bertrand Russell

3. Likes ga-hvac-tech, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Travel cannot be stopped, what are they going to do? Pull you over and ask "papers please, where are you going?"

pick up needed items What? Who can say my 30 pack of bud or carton of pall-mall is less needed than your yogurt? It's simply non-enforceable. People are going to have to work this out on their own. Government intervention is not going to help us.

This is where the common sense thing comes in, is your beer and cigs worth the chance of catching your death of a cold? The other thing is you should still be able to get those things locally so it is not like you have to travel 50 miles to get them. For me gong across town for yogurt is a wasted trip but sure there are thing that the 50 mile trip would be worth the risk. The point is if the virus isn't present in your area and no one from out of your area comes in or in your area goes out you are safe to do all normal activity including work, bars and restaurants. However let that one person in or out and the whole thing changes in a heartbeat.

yes it would be a nightmare to try to accomplish but an officer at every road in would go a long way. The thought is how can we keep the greatest amount of the country working while limiting exposure. This seems to be the best way.

5. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    It is only 15 days because it would be unwise to commit to a long-term strategy without knowing what we are dealing with yet.

It is also unwise to poop on the bans. This is the time for observation. People who are not in compliance taint the data.

The real issue with this one is that it is quite unlike SARS, MERS and Ebola. Because a carrier can have it and pass it for around 5 days before they even experience symptoms. Essentially, we have a bunch of Typhoid Mary's running around.

Also of concern is the length of time the virus can exist outside the body. That will depend on what it is trying to exist on, if you will. Right now, plastics and stainless steel seem to be bad on that front as seen in the testing aboard cruise ships after they are empty.

Again, scoff at the bans and such at your own peril, and that of your loved ones. Hopefully, eventually it will turn benign before it turns in to a super-strain. Because then we go from pandemic to epidemic.
    I have posted that repeatedly, not dangerous due to mortality rate, dangerous due to infectious rate. Incubation period is the known problem, but this one has infectious 'no symptoms' and post recovered they say. It's awful.

scoff at the bans and such at your own peril, and that of your loved ones

Won't help. It cannot be contained. You are contradicting your own conclusions.

In my best Red Green imitation.. "we are all in this together"

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    This is where the common sense thing comes in, is your beer and cigs worth the chance of catching your death of a cold? The other thing is you should still be able to get those things locally so it is not like you have to travel 50 miles to get them. For me gong across town for yogurt is a wasted trip but sure there are thing that the 50 mile trip would be worth the risk. The point is if the virus isn't present in your area and no one from out of your area comes in or in your area goes out you are safe to do all normal activity including work, bars and restaurants. However let that one person in or out and the whole thing changes in a heartbeat.

yes it would be a nightmare to try to accomplish but an officer at every road in would go a long way. The thought is how can we keep the greatest amount of the country working while limiting exposure. This seems to be the best way.
    Ok, here is where I am going to disagree. I'd rather die than live in a police state.

Impractical anyway, If I go get a can of yogurt,... who judges I made a dangerous trip for only a single can of yogurt? Rent-a-cop? Nah, I'll pass.

Post Likes
    Won't help. It cannot be contained. You are contradicting your own conclusions.

In my best Red Green imitation.. "we are all in this together"
    No. I'm not. You are correct that the virus cannot be currently contained, but please tell us Dr. Tool what the mutation rate is? For all we know, it may have already mutated meaning that the reproductive number of the virus may have completely changed and we just don't know it yet. As comparison, Covid-19 number is at least 2.2 while the Spanish Flu in 1918 was 1.8. In order to be contained the number must be under 1.

Not only that, but just because it mutates doesn't mean it will become worse. It might become better. But without proper observation and study under the most controlled conditions we can manage, it won't really matter which way it goes. We won't be ready.

The only way we can figure out HOW to respond, regardless of containment, is to conduct controlled experiments. Which is what we are trying to do in the face of people who think that they know better.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." ― Bertrand Russell

9. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    I fully understand why they are doing social distancing. But let me ask you straight. In Italy, the main thing I am hearing is that they are doing triage, most notably not putting people over 60 on ventilators. That may sound bad, but triage used to be a normal thing. And while if no measures were taken things could be worse than in Italy... but as a hypothetical, if you had a choice between, A: full quarantine, including economic ramifications; but all patients that need a hospital bed or respirator gets one, and B: zero quarantine, normal economy; but over 60 are denied a hospital bed or respirator (but given basic home care)... which would you choose?

edit: lets say a full quarantine of 45 days, and partial quarantine for additional 45 days there after... or feel free to say how many days of quarantine would be the line for you
    Neither of these are reality... they are probably BS from the MsM (GA does not listen to much MsM... it is somewhere between lies and fake news, and a waste of time)!

In Italy: they have socialized (govt pays all) medical... the system simply did not have enough capacity to handle the need!
    The healthcare workers were forced to decide who got care and who did not... kinda like deciding who dies and who lives.

So YOU want something like that to happen in the USA???
    I certainly do NOT!!!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    The articles I have read said the cut off age was 80. Haven't seen anything in a few days so it might be lower now.

My vote would be no quarantine except in the hotspots. Even then a very limited one. Your 45 day hypothetical would throw the country into a severe depression. I'm sure it would be a worldwide one then. With the population we have now along with the extreme city population and the high tech of our times deaths would be astronomical. It would completely destroy the country. My guess is a depression of that magnatude would see a 50 fold increase over virus deaths.
    This is, IMO, the invisible problem...

TOO much 'safe' quarantin-ing... will cause a depression...
    And that economic depression will kill tens of times MORE people than the virus ever would have!

One good thing... history teaches us: we will see a nationalistic attitude come along...
    And the illegals will get sent home!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!

Post Likes
    No. I'm not. You are correct that the virus cannot be currently contained, but please tell us Dr. Tool what the mutation rate is? For all we know, it may have already mutated meaning that the reproductive number of the virus may have completely changed and we just don't know it yet. As comparison, Covid-19 number is at least 2.2 while the Spanish Flu in 1918 was 1.8. In order to be contained the number must be under 1.

Not only that, but just because it mutates doesn't mean it will become worse. It might become better. But without proper observation and study under the most controlled conditions we can manage, it won't really matter which way it goes. We won't be ready.

The only way we can figure out HOW to respond, regardless of containment, is to conduct controlled experiments. Which is what we are trying to do in the face of people who think that they know better.
    Rather condescending and a stupid question. I'll pass on conversing with you for the time being.

13. Likes scrogdog liked this post.
    Post Likes

I think what he means... is something like:
    Folks in Ft Worth TX... do NOT need to (and should NOT) go to Galveston for the weekend...
    Stay in Ft Worth... until the pandemic is over...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Sorry to offend, but your response is no great surprise. It would seem like you're passing on the whole affair by default.

Post Likes
    Sorry to offend, but your response is no great surprise. It would seem like you're passing on the whole affair by default.
    You insulted me. I am not a doctor and neither are you. Can we not just be more or less nice and have a conversation. Hells Bells, I already backed and agreed with 90% of what you said.

Your prognosis Dr Scrogg?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    So YOU want something like that to happen in the USA???
    I certainly do NOT!!!
    Me either! But it would seem to me that most of the bad things are more along the bad decision/lack of preparedness lines than the health care systems in question.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast