Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

kenmore 12 cf freezer won't run

Don't laugh. I have a Kenmore 12 cf freezer 25 years old. Normally shut down for 1/2 year each year.
    Tried to start this year and it clicks every half minute or so. HVAC (AC) neighbor said to try a hard start kit, so I got a Supco RC0810. The compressor is a Embraco EM 40SC. I listened closely when it clicks and I think I can hear the compressor try to start.

Went to connect up the Supco kit and it has 3 wires to connect to compressor, run, start, and overload, but the compressor only has 2 prongs. The old capacitor - called a starter-ptc, pn#216008900, with attached run capacitor (pn#216236300), has prong receptacle holes labeled 5 and 6, not r and s. There is a 3rd prong receptacle labeled 9 under the 5 & 6 ones, but the compressor only had TWO prongs (not labeled), not 3 prongs (and 3rd is not broken off), just does not exist.

The old capacitor rattles a lot when I shake it, more than I think it should. That old capacitor is also nowhere to be found.

Anyone familiar with this old thing and have any idea where to hook up the hardstart kit?
    I can deal with the freezer being totally DOA, but would like to give the hardstart a chance.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Post Likes
    Sorry, we aren’t permitted to give DIY instruction.
    There are ways to troubleshoot and diagnose parts and equipment. Maybe your neighbor can assist you in doing so, rather then throwing parts at the issue.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I'd have to see a picture of this 2 pin compressor to believe it.

Post Likes
    I wish I could remember what I did - but it was a long time ago. It was the first two-terminal compressor I had ever seen. I got it running but that's all I can remember about the job now.

Why experiment? You can get appliance parts at a million parts places if you have the model and serial numbers.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by j1mweb View Post
    Don't laugh. I have a Kenmore 12 cf freezer 25 years old. Normally shut down for 1/2 year each year.
    Tried to start this year and it clicks every half minute or so. HVAC (AC) neighbor said to try a hard start kit, so I got a Supco RC0810. The compressor is a Embraco EM 40SC. I listened closely when it clicks and I think I can hear the compressor try to start.

Went to connect up the Supco kit and it has 3 wires to connect to compressor, run, start, and overload, but the compressor only has 2 prongs. The old capacitor - called a starter-ptc, pn#216008900, with attached run capacitor (pn#216236300), has prong receptacle holes labeled 5 and 6, not r and s. There is a 3rd prong receptacle labeled 9 under the 5 & 6 ones, but the compressor only had TWO prongs (not labeled), not 3 prongs (and 3rd is not broken off), just does not exist.

The old capacitor rattles a lot when I shake it, more than I think it should. That old capacitor is also nowhere to be found.

Anyone familiar with this old thing and have any idea where to hook up the hardstart kit?
    I can deal with the freezer being totally DOA, but would like to give the hardstart a chance.

Thanks,

Jimmy
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I can vouch for the fact that they exist - I have seen one myself.

At the time I was amazed but it must be that it's just a single winding motor.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I'd have to see a picture of this 2 pin compressor to believe it.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I can vouch for the fact that they exist - I have seen one myself.

At the time I was amazed but it must be that it's just a single winding motor.

PHM
    ----------
    I can appreciate that. All I can say is I have seen many many compressors over many many years and have never seen such an animal in the wild 😉

Post Likes
    The start relay hooks to C and S. You missed Common.

Post Likes

missed common!

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    The start relay hooks to C and S. You missed Common.
    Oh yeah. I missed common. Called it overload. My bad.
    For other replies, not throwing parts at it. Only one part, the Supco I actually did find the so-called original part somewhere online - . Nope, not worth it.

Thought maybe someone very old and experienced here on this forum might know something about this compressor, but guess not. I'll just shotgun it I guess. Not so stupid as to electrocute myself. Might blow a breaker or kill compressor for real, but ....

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dad; 03-23-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Post Likes
    Have you taken an Ohm Reading?
    Whats the model # of the pump?

Post Likes
    Embraco EM 40SC

Post Likes

Embraco EM 40SC hard start

Ohm reading between the two prongs on compressor about 15 to 16.
    The old relay/starter plugged into the two compressor prongs and the 120 common hardwired into relay. 120 hot wire connected via a spade lug to the compressor.
    If I connect the Supco line wires to 120vac, no voltage on the red or white Supco wires. I assume that's normal.
    Seems maybe should connect the Supco black/common wire to that spade lug on compressor. That is next step I think. Either get it running or put on the road for pickup. Too bad they don't make them this good anymore.
    Photo of compressor 2 prongs and relay below for non believers.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Pull this off and find your third pin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Sorry Your in over your head.

Call a qualified contractor to diagnose the problem and recommend the course of action to repair.

This is not a D I Y Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast