Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Can You mix/match Handler and Condenser brands.

I found a company that agreed to install once I buy the equipment. However, do to the Corona Virus they have closed shop for the next 2 weeks and I can't get in contact with them for a while. Which is why I can't get input from them on this.

I need to know if it's ok to mix and match brands?

Links to off site sale removed by admin

Would these two work together? They are the same tonnage, seer rating and mobile home approved. If not, how do I find a mobile home approved air handler that will work with this heat Pump condenser?

(FYI). I am having to buy the equipment because I am short on cash. I'm using gift cards that I already had from these retailers. Trying to use every resource available to me.
    Last edited by Dad; 03-21-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Post Likes
    Heat pumps need to be a matched set.

Post Likes
    Modular Blowers typically are just a box with a blower motor that you install electric heat as a option. There is no coil and metering device inside that box. You need to connect a cased coil to it. Recommend getting a Goodman cased coil, should be able to get a AHRI match even thou blower assembly is a different brand.

Other option is a Goodman Air Handler which is a complete package. They usually sell them as matched systems if purchasing with a OD unit.

Who knows maybe that Mr. Cool blower assembly is just a rebadged Goodman or another brand or they actually make their own?
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-21-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Post Likes
    Do not buy the equipment yourself and have it installed.
    This may sound cheaper now but it will cost more in the end when something gets screwed up or it breaks and you have no warranty.
    If you buy it, then install it yourself.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Do not buy the equipment yourself and have it installed.
    This may sound cheaper now but it will cost more in the end when something gets screwed up or it breaks and you have no warranty.
    If you buy it, then install it yourself.

The equipment comes with a 10 year warranty as long as I have it installed by a licensed technician It's not a matter of saving money, it's a matter of doing the best I can with the money I have. I have the money in gift cards so, i have to buy it myself. The heat pump is the same unit the company recommended to me in their proposal.

The challenge is finding a mobile home approved air handler. I did not see one from Goodman. Installing it myself is not an option. I just trying to find compatible components. Can you recommend an airhandler that would work with this heat pump? Must be mobile home approved.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Modular Blowers typically are just a box with a blower motor that you install electric heat as a option. There is no coil and metering device inside that box. You need to connect a cased coil to it. Recommend getting a Goodman cased coil, should be able to get a AHRI match even thou blower assembly is a different brand.

Other option is a Goodman Air Handler which is a complete package. They usually sell them as matched systems if purchasing with a OD unit.

Who knows maybe that Mr. Cool blower assembly is just a rebadged Goodman or another brand or they actually make their own?

Where can I find out what air handlers are compatible with this heat pump?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by broner910 View Post
    Where can I find out what air handlers are compatible with this heat pump?
    Online stores. Not eBay. Should get a manufacturer warranty once registered if installed by a licensed Contractor. Your just stuck with dealing with warranty issues, Just need to research mobile home applications.

Post Likes
    Warranty this part is bad I have to send it back to whatever dot com and wait 1, 2, 3 or more weeks for a replacement.

Post Likes
    Just to say, I’m not trying to argue with or put you down in any way. Just noting what a lot of folks in your position don’t know.
    Warranty is partially true. You may get coverage on parts, from whatever company you buy from. However, you will get no labor warranty. So if the unit breaks the day after installation, your on the hook for labor costs. If it breaks and requires a warranty part replacements, again your responsible for labor cost.
    There’s also several posts here and on other sites of folks that have purchased their own equipment and then gotten it installed by a “certified” tech, only to later find out that it was hacked in and even in one case was a furnace that was installed upside down. All of these consumers wound up deep in a financial hole after having to spend considerable money not only on equipment, and labor, but in additional labor to have it fixed.
    Being this is for a mobile home, it’ll have to be HUD certified. And the equipment should have an AHRI match number. The only place I’m aware of that will help with this are direct to consumer hvac sites, but I’m not permitted to name those here. Home Depot and/or eBay are not sites that’s will help this this.
    Who is pulling the permit for replacement?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Heat pumps need to be a matched set.
    I would agree with you there when it comes to running business. On the side?? We can get away with stuff.

I have a lot of frankensystems out there. Just did one about 6 months ago for a neighbor friend of mine. Existing 3 ton Goodman AH that I mated to a 2.5 ton York with a txv. Numbers dialed in perfectly and has ran flawlessly.

I'm not condoning it but we all know it can work and work beautifully.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    I would agree with you there when it comes to running business. On the side?? We can get away with stuff.

I have a lot of frankensystems out there. Just did one about 6 months ago for a neighbor friend of mine. Existing 3 ton Goodman AH that I mated to a 2.5 ton York with a txv. Numbers dialed in perfectly and has ran flawlessly.

I'm not condoning it but we all know it can work and work beautifully.
    I’m not saying you and I couldn’t “get it working”.
    Mr side jobber is a different story.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I’m not saying you and I couldn’t “get it working”.
    Mr side jobber is a different story.
    Well of course. I wouldn't expect Mr. Side Jobber to get a matched system working.

Post Likes
    I have a couple Coleman airhandlers mated to Goodman condensers on moble homes. Both heatpumps with txv and both working well, no complaints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast