Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Question First time home buyer with complete HVAC replacement, still not comfortable

Good afternoon all! Big first timer here. Ok, I will try to explain as best as possible.

I am a first time home buyer, and we have been in this house for a little under a year. Here are the home facts:

Year built: 1950
    Type: One level, ranch style, 1664 sq ft
    Foundation: Crawl space
    Addon: Yes, a large family room
    Insulation: Updated
    Windows: Double paned, less than 10 years old
    Furnace and ductwork in the attic

Long story short, after learning of 28% leakage in our system, we decided to have the A/C, furnace and ductwork replaced. I am familiar with the company that came out, and the work was well done, with a couple of adjustments needed afterwards. I am now happy to report that our overall leakage is 7%.

Now, here are the equipment details. Note: Please only give helpful feedback. I do not need to read opinions on Lennox, because I know there are folks out there who dislike the brand:

Lennox SL280V Variable-Speed, Two-Stage Gas Furnace (80%)
    Lennox SL18XC1 Single-Stage AC
    Lennox PureAir-S System (this thing is actually pretty sweet)
    Lennox S30 Thermostat

New additional return installed, for a total of 2 (where the addon part of the house is) and new ductwork with manual dampers on each one.

Now with all of that info, here's the deal: I was advised that this installation would be a game changer. Currently, I am wondering which game it is supposed to change, because simply put: We're still trying to get comfortable.

I have to keep messing with the thermostat. Basically 70 is not warm enough, but 71 is too warm. There's no sweet spot. Also, when it comes to the idea of this type of furnace helping to eliminate cold spots and remove that feeling of "man it's getting cold, shouldn't the heat kick on?" -- this has not happened either. I also have been noticing that this super fancy furnace does not do a great job with humidity control in the winter. The house can still get bone dry, which I was told would be otherwise.

When it comes to AC, it's actually pretty decent. Super quiet and efficient and provides comfort, however doesn't remove humidity as much I thought it would.

So long story short, we've had all this done, and it's been a pain in the butt in some ways. By the way, the reason we had it done is because of the original 28% leakage and the previous components being over 15 years old, and just simply wanting to have it done. The air quality inside the house before was pretty bad. With the Lennox PureAir, the difference has been pretty monumental.

So, with all of this context, this is my main question and concern: Was it wrong to get a variable, two-stage furnace? I'm just not feeling the difference whatsoever. I am thinking a regular 14SEER AC and single stage furnace would have been just fine.

I'm asking this because the company that did the work actually has a 1 year guarantee and they honor it big time, so I need to see if I need to make another big decision, or if it is simply more adjustment needed (note: They have been out twice already).

Thanks for any input and feedback!

Take care!

Post Likes
    Did they give you a copy of the commissioning report on the system? Need more info.

Edit: Also, is your house leaky? Have you had a blower door test done?

Post Likes
    Yes, 3 different blower door tests were performed. Once by our power company for the rebates (which showed the 28%) and then 2 by the HVAC company, one showing 13% and then the final sealing showing 7%. I was home for all 3 of these and they showed me everything.

As for the commissioning report, I am not sure what that is, so I'm sure I don't have it. However, I do have the details from the quote when the HVAC company came out.

I forgot to mention that the main issue was that the addon portion of the home was an average of 8-10 degrees higher in the summer and lower in the winter, due to poor airflow and old ductwork. I can confirm that they replaced this with the appropriate size duct because the difference is night and day.

I am getting more versed in this, so ask whatever info you need and I can most likely provide it.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Do you have a humidifier installed?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    No humidifier installed, and no dehumidifier installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwtulsa View Post
    Yes, 3 different blower door tests were performed. Once by our power company for the rebates (which showed the 28%) and then 2 by the HVAC company, one showing 13% and then the final sealing showing 7%. I was home for all 3 of these and they showed me everything.

As for the commissioning report, I am not sure what that is, so I'm sure I don't have it. However, I do have the details from the quote when the HVAC company came out.

I forgot to mention that the main issue was that the addon portion of the home was an average of 8-10 degrees higher in the summer and lower in the winter, due to poor airflow and old ductwork. I can confirm that they replaced this with the appropriate size duct because the difference is night and day.

I am getting more versed in this, so ask whatever info you need and I can most likely provide it.

Thank you!
    What you had performed was a duct blaster, for the ducts. I am talking about a blower door for your home leakage. Knowing where the leaks are in your home is paramount to eliminating hot and cold spots. Have you had any work done to your building envelope? That is where I would've started.

Post Likes
    Yes, the power company performed the blower door test. I know what you're talking about now with sealing off the open door and running that fan. That was definitely performed. I cannot remember the exact data, but the gentlemen advised that overall our house performed very well. However, now that I've learned more, I would of liked to have known where leaky spots are. The house has never felt drafty or leaky at all. In fact, the bills have been pretty incredible before the HVAC was replaced, and even better after that. That's the best info I have for that.

Post Likes
    I don’t see the sizing of the equipment.

Post Likes
    Sorry. Both are 3 tons. The other quote I got was for 3.5, but the company I hired said that the home only required 3 ton, which would mean the more efficient AC could run longer and remove more humidity that way. At least, that's the gist of it that I remember.

Post Likes
    6-Tons

1600 Sq Ft:

Post Likes
    I'm sorry? I'm not understanding. Is a 3 ton AC and a 3 ton furnace not correct? It would be more helpful if you elaborated more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwtulsa View Post
    I'm sorry? I'm not understanding. Is a 3 ton AC and a 3 ton furnace not correct? It would be more helpful if you elaborated more.
    Furnaces are rated in BTU input Not tons.
    A 100K input at 80% efficiency is 80K output.

3-Tins for 1600 Sq Ft is still old school and unless your down south oversized.

Post Likes
    2 tons should definitely keep your home comfortable. There is absolutely no way a 3 ton will remove humidity.

We need a copy of the load calculation please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast