Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,680
    Post Likes

    Science vs Skepticism and CV

    Reading through the threads on CV, most of what I am reading is a healthy discussion of rationale skepticism. Virus vs Quarantine, is what we are doing justified, are the numbers correct, what is the missing data... etc

    But there are a few posts from a minority of posters that go past what I would call healthy skepticism and into "anti-science." For the conservative ARP I would put that line somewhere around the jump from "democrats are politicizing this" and "democrats are intentionally using CV to harm America." For absolutely sure, if you believe the democrats are involved in the creation or spread of CV... or if you think CV isn't a disease that warrants at minimum, special observation... you are anti-science / loon.

    I am just curious where ya'll would put that line?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    44,204
    Post Likes
    Where does the line go???

    It goes to divide folks that do lots of independent research to VERIFY what the media says...

    Some do, some suckers do not...

    And this goes for polecats also (including Trump):
    NEVER believe anything any of them say, until one verifies its accuracy (not that they said it, that the facts they said are correct).

    As to science... we saw with the GW/GC/CC hoax...
    Science is for sale...
    And that junk science is a real problem in the fake news world...

    So until science cleans up its credibility...
    NO, science is to be questioned until it is verified, like any other source of material.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  3. Likes ksefan liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,734
    Post Likes
    I remain a skeptic. Let me explain. I have never doubted the existence of CV, it is real. And, it is a more potent version of a flu. That said, I have real doubts as to just how severe this actually is.

    What do we really know about CV? Actually, not all that much. What exactly are the symptoms? What are you looking for if you catch something? How would you suspect that what you have is CV or something else? I find it interesting that these questions are not actually addressed. Why are the expected symptoms not the BIG topic of the news?

    People have always died during a flu season. Is the current death rate actually far greater than past flu seasons? How do we actually know what someone died of? Given the lack of test kits for this particular flu, how do we know? Are the numbers actually accurate?

    Sure, any flu season is a concern but, is this one being manipulated and used? I have not been able to trust any news agency now for several years and they keep getting worse and less trustworthy. Same for our government.

    I suspect something else is also going on. An orchestrated global political reset. A mass redistribution of wealth and a directed, orchestrated change in governments. Purposeful losses in personal freedom and loss of economic stability to force us to depend on government.

    Science and Skepticism? Clearly CV exists. Clearly in my view much more is going on here. This crisis is being used and manipulated and not to our benefit. Expect gun control to be part of the equation.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    10,738
    Post Likes
    David, I think a lot of the skepticism you are seeing is not one of the science but of the reporter/media. I would say that the only place the dems are involved in this is they are often considered as one with MsM. As I watch coverage of this I have noticed inconsistencies with the reporting. One prime example is they have been saying since the shortages of masks and other medical supplies do not need to be used by the general public, yet every CV report has at least one shot of someone in public with a mask on. Also it seems like their reports are designed to stir up panic in the public which is already on high alert just from lack of knowledge/good info on the virus, too many unknowns.

    Another thing is the appearance that the media is trying to use the pandemic to hurt the president rather than getting the facts into the public hands and brains. I'm not saying they need to give Trump a pass, but I am saying that instead of having a meltdown over the name "China Virus" being racist, get out the facts of the situation. Being told you may be confined to your home at some point in the future can be very frightening if you don't fully understand "why" it is important for quarantine.

    I can't say as I have seen anyone make a post indicating they didn't understand the science, but more so didn't trust the reporting of it. As said before the history of the media with this president calls their motive to question every time they open their mouths. Add to this there seems to be very little actual science in the reports. Most of the differences between this virus and others and what makes this one more concerning has come from places other than the regular news which should be quoting the CDC word for word in most of their reports rather than reporting Trump thinks a possibly deadly drug is the answer to the virus. While this is based in fact the truth is he knows it is a drug that has been used on humans but it needs to be tested on humans to see what the affects are, not just give it to all patients as "the" drug which is how they are portraying it.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    21,092
    Post Likes
    This Corona Virus has jumped from Animals, probably from a Bush Meat market in China, but it is not a stronger version than the flu. It is different and there is no know cure.

    That is the source of panic, in my opinion, no cure.

    We have vaccines that work sometimes for the flu and medicine to relieve symptoms for flu. But still, there is no proven cure for this virus.

    But the RNA, think DNA for humans, has been sequenced and that is the beginning of a cure. I do believe in time someone doing research on it will discover its Achilles heel. Who knows how long that will take.

    In the meantime, rumors about who is responsible and blaming those that report it, are frivolous at best

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    44,204
    Post Likes
    Yeah...

    TDS folks do not care where China Virus came from...

    Because to them... it is nothing more and nothing less...
    Than a tool to try to take down Trump.

    Such a lack of dedication to FIXING the problem...
    More interested in USING the problem for an agenda advancement.

    Wonder how that attitude (previous 2x sentences)
    HELPS Americans (ALL of us, not just the TDS folks)???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,734
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    I remain a skeptic. Let me explain. I have never doubted the existence of CV, it is real. And, it is a more potent version of a flu. That said, I have real doubts as to just how severe this actually is.

    What do we really know about CV? Actually, not all that much. What exactly are the symptoms? What are you looking for if you catch something? How would you suspect that what you have is CV or something else? I find it interesting that these questions are not actually addressed. Why are the expected symptoms not the BIG topic of the news?

    People have always died during a flu season. Is the current death rate actually far greater than past flu seasons? How do we actually know what someone died of? Given the lack of test kits for this particular flu, how do we know? Are the numbers actually accurate?

    Sure, any flu season is a concern but, is this one being manipulated and used? I have not been able to trust any news agency now for several years and they keep getting worse and less trustworthy. Same for our government.

    I suspect something else is also going on. An orchestrated global political reset. A mass redistribution of wealth and a directed, orchestrated change in governments. Purposeful losses in personal freedom and loss of economic stability to force us to depend on government.

    Science and Skepticism? Clearly CV exists. Clearly in my view much more is going on here. This crisis is being used and manipulated and not to our benefit. Expect gun control to be part of the equation.
    Perhaps you should Google or YouTube David Icke. I just learned of him today and it turns out that he is saying the same thing I have been thinking and posting here in ARP.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    21,092
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Perhaps you should Google or YouTube David Icke. I just learned of him today and it turns out that he is saying the same thing I have been thinking and posting here in ARP.
    I googled him. Preposterous at best but not completely implausible. Shape shifting does not exist, but others are here. And their book has many fixated on false hope.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    15,047
    Post Likes
    ...

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    832
    Post Likes
    I haven't seen the science questioned. It's the media driven panic that's in question. "No cure". There isn't one for the common cold or the flu either.

    Even if this turns out as bad as the swine flu it's no where near deserving this panic.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    10,738
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    This Corona Virus has jumped from Animals, probably from a Bush Meat market in China, but it is not a stronger version than the flu. It is different and there is no know cure.

    That is the source of panic, in my opinion, no cure.

    We have vaccines that work sometimes for the flu and medicine to relieve symptoms for flu. But still, there is no proven cure for this virus.

    But the RNA, think DNA for humans, has been sequenced and that is the beginning of a cure. I do believe in time someone doing research on it will discover its Achilles heel. Who knows how long that will take.

    In the meantime, rumors about who is responsible and blaming those that report it, are frivolous at best
    The source of the panic is the media. They had the choice of portraying this in a clinical manor or hype the hell out of it and the chose the latter. I would speculate that the reason for this is it try and damage the Trump presidency or maybe they just don't know any better as true journalism is all but dead.

    We will never know if this was a good thing or not as the public may not have reacted in a constructive manor had they not been scared. The other side of that coin is panic seldom makes for a good reaction so maybe thoughtful consideration would have resulted in a better outcome. The down side of that coin is that it seem few possess the brains God gave a goose now days or maybe they stopped cognitive thinking and have reverted to thinking in sound bytes.

    In the end it will be interesting to see how history shakes it all out.

  13. Likes Tool-Slinger liked this post.
  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    22,017
    Post Likes
    They are treating this thing so seriously because they think it could be 1918 all over again if we are not on top of it.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

    WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

    Oprah/Greta 2020

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    10,738
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    They are treating this thing so seriously because they think it could be 1918 all over again if we are not on top of it.
    Or it could be like 2018, the flu rolled through, some died, and people moved on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR