Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I haven't done any of the 3 1/8 yet, this week we did some 2 1/8 using a oxy acetylene torch with a rosebud tip, next week we will be doing the big pipe. The refrigerant is 407C for a 60 ton air conditioner, the liquid line is 1 3/8.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evad102 View Post
    I haven't done any of the 3 1/8 yet, this week we did some 2 1/8 using a oxy acetylene torch with a rosebud tip, next week we will be doing the big pipe. The refrigerant is 407C for a 60 ton air conditioner, the liquid line is 1 3/8.
    Stay Brite #8

Post Likes
    Always go with safety firsy. That said - Saw a couple old school techs who carried two oxy/ace setups and would run two rosebud tips in the same hand. Not ideal for every situation or every tech... but I’ve learned how to do it and it makes large pipe take the silphos quickly. Like others have said - clean joint and flux won’t hurt either.

Post Likes
    For anything over 2 1/8" with StayBrite I would tin both the fitting socket and the pipe end first. Then fit the joint and finish soldering it. I've done up to 6" copper that way.

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Just a question...

Would it not be better to use stay-brite 8? That would limit how much heat you would need for that size pipe.

The biggest I have brazed was 1-7/8" and that took a lot of heat. Even with nitro I was afraid of the damage I was doing to the inside of the copper.

Seems like it would be better for the sight glass for sure.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I use my turbo torch. No oxy. The big muffler size tip will heat it up nice

Post Likes
    2 1/2 inch suction with SB#8 - online 6 years and running. That's just the biggest line. Many more on this site, and not a single issue. All 407C. Such a HUGE time saver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12