Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Brazing 3 1/8 pipe

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions on brazing big large copper pipes such as as 3 1/8 and 2 5/8 ? It's for an air conditioning system I will be installing in the next few weeks. Also any advice for brazing in sight glass's "

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Full sized oxy acetylene rig with a rosebud and lots of patience and lots of silfoss. It takes a long time to heat up and braze pipe that big. A second set of hands and another torch would also be helpful.

Keep the torch(es) slowly moving between the pipe and the fitting and when the silfoss starts to melt try to draw it into the fitting as much as you can.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

3. Likes lzenglish, VTP99, Pnasty, Cagey57 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Oxy rig.
    An air rig will do it with a 32 tip but you’ll be draining bottles fast not to mention you’ll need ear protection for that tip-it’s loud when lit.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I use 1/8” X 1/8” silphos rods.

6. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For sight glasses...wet rag and point the flame away from the sight glass. They can be copper plated steel, so don’t burn the copper plating off. On Sporlans you can remove the moisture indicator so you don’t burn it up.

Post Likes
    Thats some big suction line. What refrigerant?

Post Likes
    Make sure joint area material is really clean. Use full size Oxy rig, I would use a little flux, get a dual head torch. I don't like the ring torches. Have a helper tap the tube as you are adding filler metal it will help break any surface tension in the filler metal and capillary action will work better. From having worked on a lot of 3" copper for air systems it takes lots of patients and it's hard to get the filler metal to flow evenly into the whole joint. I've cut several apart to see how well my technique allows the filler metal to penetrate and fill the joint. I suggest you try that too.

Post Likes
    Only tip in particular other than of course using the proper sized tip is what Redman said, the square beefier rod is much nicer to use on large pipe.

11. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When we brazed a section of 8inch we had one guy holding two large B tank tips and the other feeding the rod. It took forever to heat it up to where it would flow.

Post Likes
    I’ve used a cutting tip just don’t hit the air
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Just a question...

Would it not be better to use stay-brite 8? That would limit how much heat you would need for that size pipe.

The biggest I have brazed was 1-7/8" and that took a lot of heat. Even with nitro I was afraid of the damage I was doing to the inside of the copper.

Seems like it would be better for the sight glass for sure.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Just a question...

Would it not be better to use stay-brite 8? That would limit how much heat you would need for that size pipe.

The biggest I have brazed was 1-7/8" and that took a lot of heat. Even with nitro I was afraid of the damage I was doing to the inside of the copper.

I would definitely go with silphos brazing, even for that size pipe that is fine. At that pipe size I'm pretty sure the sightglass is typically removable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Just a question...

1 7/8”...I don’t think that’s a pipe size. Larger pipe takes more heat, but the pipe temp isn’t any different. Just need a larger tip so you can heat it up fast enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast