Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast
Results 118 to 130 of 310
  1. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    1,033
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    You might find this interesting. Received this in an email a few days ago:



    Thought you might find this interesting how our ancestor was involved in the 1918 flu epidemic.


    The attached photo is probably from the period of 1917-18, one of the many times when Effie put down her paint brushes long enough to take up civic roles in her community, including as a founder and President of the Sulphur Springs Valley (AZ) Red Cross. She is 2nd from the right in the group photo attached.

    Effie lead the formation of this Red Cross chapter by 1917 as the US entered WWI. The women first went about knitting socks and making personal care kits for the local young soldiers who were going off to the front in France. She put small paintings of Arizona desert scenes inside each kit, as well.

    Yet by 1918, Effie and her sister Red Cross volunteers had been pressed into service caring for influenza pandemic victims in Southeastern Arizona. The Tucson newspapers in October 1918 were begging for volunteers to relieve the shortage of nurses and physicians who had quickly fallen ill with flu. And these women answered the call to care for their friends and neighbors and strangers, as best they could.

    Effie's son, who had just graduated from the San Francisco Presidio Military Academy in May of 1918 had command of an Army unit slated to go to France as soon as their brief basic training was complete. But his role was shifted to Los Angeles to be in charge of a military hospital overloaded with flu victims - and many of these young soldiers would never see France.

    This, at a time when the treatment for flu (in the city or the desert) was to administer whiskey as if it were medicine, to apply vapor rub to the chest, and perhaps take aspirin, then stay in bed. Hand washing? It wasn't much talked about. Transmission of the flu was not yet well understood. And there was no guarantee of running water in many remote Arizona desert communities in 1918 - much less hot water from a tap in the bath or kitchen.

    Despite this - Effie and her husband in Pearce, and her son in Los Angeles - got through this. And with care, so shall we!
    I also do believe we will get through this. Frankly Im not worried about it. But what genuinely pisses me off is stupidity. If one of my guys needs something lets say safety related they get it if I cant get it, then we change the situation to make it safer. They want to keep the health care workers safe but apparently there is no way to help them? Im sorry I dont buy it. Here is the kick in the pants through. The hospital staff at the door screening the nurses coming in have the N95 masks on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,696
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Pagey
    Most of the time I find many of you comments and posts knowledgeable and of good judgement. I have said nothing different than others in this thread have stated, but you are not questioning their comments. What I have noticed is every now and then you decide your going to pick on someone just to show them they are wrong and you're correct. I guess I'm that person today. You are wrong in your perception of me and my comments. Yes I have agreed that the normal flu has about a 0.1% mortality rate (but it is still over 30,000 death in the USA) and the Covid-19 is more like 3.0% mortality, yes I get it. If we have 2 million get Covid-19 we could have over 60,000 dead out of a population of more 350,000,000. No we do not have vaccine for this which is why we need to keep the peak rate low, so we don't overload the medical system with those that are really in need of help

    Covid-19 is not the flu, yep I get it, it's an upper respiratory disease (not the flu) but treatment is pretty close to the same as the flu, Ibuprophen and Tylenol to keep the fever down, stuff for diarrhea if you get that, fluids if you become dehydrated, Oxygen if needed, ventilator if needed, heat monitor if needed, isolation if needed, medicine to reduce inflammation if needed, anti-biotics if you get a secondary bacterial infection. Been there, had it, been in the hospital for the flu and pneumonia can be bad stuff, just like Covid-19 can be bad stuff. but the projections are the overall numbers sick and dead will likely be no worse than the flu. So why the panic that was the comment.

    But that is the beauty of this I can have my opinions and you can have yours in the end this is all opinions

    Your perception is wrong imo. I found your posts in this thread to be just fine for the most part and much more reasonable than most. All I really asked was what was overblown in your opinion and why you thought that and what you thought would be reasonable to do instead.

    The projections for the reasons I stated and more make it much more potentially worse than a regular flu outbreak.

    You may have an opinion I have an argument.

    Argument Versus Opinion. ... An argument involves arriving at a judgement which is based on an evaluation of relevant ideas and evidence. An opinion, on the other hand, is a point of view formed without sufficient evidence to support it. It tends to reflect an individual's instinctive reactions and personal experience
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  3. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,696
    Post Likes
    Pagey
    You are wrong, no one appointed you to be the overseer of correct or incorrect opinions. This was my argument with you the last time, opinions do not require any proof. It's not up to me to prove anything concerning my opinion. There is no requirement that anyone must prove their opinion for this site. In the end your argument how you perceive facts is just your opinion. My opinion is based on evaluation of relevant information and I have a slightly different opinion than yours.

    What projections? The last US projection for Covid-19 I saw 2 days ago was something like 30,000 sick before the peak broke in about 3 weeks then started to flatten out. For conservation let say it's 90,000, like China there count is something 3000 dead. Still less than the flu for illness and death rates in the USA, so why don't the grocery stores sell out and all the panic buying happen every flu season

    Hope you have nice evening, it's almost time to leave for the day

  4. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,696
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Pagey
    You are wrong, no one appointed you to be the overseer of correct or incorrect opinions. This was my argument with you the last time, opinions do not require any proof. It's not up to me to prove anything concerning my opinion. There is no requirement that anyone must prove their opinion for this site. In the end your argument how you perceive facts is just your opinion. My opinion is based on evaluation of relevant information and I have a slightly different opinion than yours.

    What projections? The last US projection for Covid-19 I saw 2 days ago was something like 30,000 sick before the peak broke in about 3 weeks then started to flatten out. For conservation let say it's 90,000, like China there count is something 3000 dead. Still less than the flu for illness and death rates in the USA, so why don't the grocery stores sell out and all the panic buying happen every flu season

    Hope you have nice evening, it's almost time to leave for the day
    My post points out that an opinion requires no proof.

    One doesn't have to be an appointed overseer to point out their argument or find fault with another's opinion.

    As I stated it is not merely an opinion but a valid argument. You characterize yourself as having an opinion.

    Comparing us to China only makes sense if we act like China did. We are doing no such thing.

    I already explained how this is so much different than the flu.

    You have a good day too.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  5. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,696
    Post Likes
    Let's say we agree we disagree, if any of the bars were open I'd gladly buy the first round

  6. Likes pageyjim liked this post.
  7. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    3,542
    Post Likes
    People began withdrawing large sums from their bank accounts, chances are soon there will be imposed limits as how much one can withdraw, apparently the worst is still weeks away....the little voices inside my head are telling me "go and clean your guns"
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  8. #124
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    26,563
    Post Likes
    Just start hoarding toilet paper, it will be worth more than gold.


    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    People began withdrawing large sums from their bank accounts, chances are soon there will be imposed limits as how much one can withdraw, apparently the worst is still weeks away....the little voices inside my head are telling me "go and clean your guns"
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  9. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    3,542
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Just start hoarding toilet paper, it will be worth more than gold.
    Toilet paper is way overrated.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  10. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    1,033
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    People began withdrawing large sums from their bank accounts, chances are soon there will be imposed limits as how much one can withdraw, apparently the worst is still weeks away....the little voices inside my head are telling me "go and clean your guns"
    The same voices should also be saying double your ammo.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #127
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Medford, N.Y.
    Posts
    6,656
    Post Likes
    KindaSorta,pretty damn close!!!When did the word "living room" come into play? The (not RACIST) Spanish Flu of 1918 help coin the Living Room term.Prior to that flu the common family greeting room was the Parlor or Parlour. Welcome to our home,Dear Guest! Then MILLION's died and their bodies were presented in their homes in the Parlor Room. The association of DEATH and the Parlor Room became connected to a Funeral Parlour(home) that we know of in "todays" world. Then as a result, a better term was developed. Welcome to my home via my LIVING ROOM,Dear Guest!!!

    That info was presented to me thru the FAMOUS Mr. Dan Holohan,the Steam & Hydronics GURU!!!!!

  12. Likes VTP99, captube liked this post.
  13. #128
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    26,563
    Post Likes
    For you maybe. Not for those without and who have money to burn.


    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Toilet paper is way overrated.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  14. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    660
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Toilet paper is way overrated.
    Well Now, Just What do You use, up your hizzy valdodik, a corn cob? Plug your ears as i'm about to just touch on a quick war story, and you are Waaaayyy too little to hear it. The last time i ran into a toilet paper shortage, was In Vietnam. We were issued about 5 squares in our C Rats Meal Boxes, which lasted, for one good dump. After that, it was the biggest leaf we could find, without red ants attached to it. Ok uncover now. SO, i do have Money, and I do love the soft white stuff, on my soft white azzey, and it is Waaayyy underated if anything, (imo).

  15. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    448
    Post Likes
    All I want is a T6 that actually works as advertised.

  16. Likes Core_d liked this post.
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR