Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Oh I agree this is way over blown. Yep It's bad that people have died due to this new disease, but it's no worse than many other things. I know if walked into a office area carrying a plastic bag labeled LEAD or ASBESTOS people would get up leave rather quickly.
    What is overblown? Feel free to cite examples from credible sources and appropriate remedies.
    Last edited by pageyjim; 03-18-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    You might find this interesting. Received this in an email a few days ago:

Thought you might find this interesting how our ancestor was involved in the 1918 flu epidemic.

The attached photo is probably from the period of 1917-18, one of the many times when Effie put down her paint brushes long enough to take up civic roles in her community, including as a founder and President of the Sulphur Springs Valley (AZ) Red Cross. She is 2nd from the right in the group photo attached.

Effie lead the formation of this Red Cross chapter by 1917 as the US entered WWI. The women first went about knitting socks and making personal care kits for the local young soldiers who were going off to the front in France. She put small paintings of Arizona desert scenes inside each kit, as well.

Yet by 1918, Effie and her sister Red Cross volunteers had been pressed into service caring for influenza pandemic victims in Southeastern Arizona. The Tucson newspapers in October 1918 were begging for volunteers to relieve the shortage of nurses and physicians who had quickly fallen ill with flu. And these women answered the call to care for their friends and neighbors and strangers, as best they could.

Effie's son, who had just graduated from the San Francisco Presidio Military Academy in May of 1918 had command of an Army unit slated to go to France as soon as their brief basic training was complete. But his role was shifted to Los Angeles to be in charge of a military hospital overloaded with flu victims - and many of these young soldiers would never see France.

This, at a time when the treatment for flu (in the city or the desert) was to administer whiskey as if it were medicine, to apply vapor rub to the chest, and perhaps take aspirin, then stay in bed. Hand washing? It wasn't much talked about. Transmission of the flu was not yet well understood. And there was no guarantee of running water in many remote Arizona desert communities in 1918 - much less hot water from a tap in the bath or kitchen.

Despite this - Effie and her husband in Pearce, and her son in Los Angeles - got through this. And with care, so shall we!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    Here is where the bigger problem is going to be. Health care workers. My wife is a RN. They had a union meeting yesterday before they started shift. Normal precautions are being thrown out the window and the new ones are less then standard. A normal mask to prevent against airborne infection “which then don’t have” is good for 4 hours. Now they tell them it’s good for a 12 hour shift. If they had anyone positive for this virus they don’t get proper equipment to protect them once entering the negotiable pressure room. So there options are quit, or stay and help. So they stay because they want to help. Get sick. Come home and quarantine with there family who also gets sick. So who takes the healthcare workers place then? The CDC is a joke. And frankly America has fallen on its face because once again we don’t produce for our own needs and rely on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    . . . . The Coronavirus = Nobody has any natural immunities against it.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    If I made a bet that I would get this virus - I don't think I could win the SOB. I have no idea where I could go to get this thing.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    If I made a bet that I would get this virus - I don't think I could win the SOB. I have no idea where I could go to get this thing.
    You would have a harder time getting tested to prove it I think

Post Likes
    Yes; I have a lot of medical-business friends and none of them can even get Themselves tested so long as they are asymptomatic. Doctors, OR nurses and techs, ICU, nobody.

Luckily I have a bet with a neighbor that I can't install a new metal roof all by myself - at least I can win that one. <g>

PHM
    --------

You would have a harder time getting tested to prove it I think
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Yes; I have a lot of medical-business friends and none of them can even get Themselves tested so long as they are asymptomatic. Doctors, OR nurses and techs, ICU, nobody.

Luckily I have a bet with a neighbor that I can't install a new metal roof all by myself - at least I can win that one. <g>

PHM
    --------
    Many people with symptoms still cannot get tested.

Post Likes

PHM
    --------
    Are you getting a permit? <g>

Post Likes
    Nobody has any natural immunities against it.
    How do you know that?
    While technically Pagey is correct, the other side of the coin is that a healthy person will develop an immunity, and may never even have any symptoms.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    No pagey

I'm quite certain any source I might site is not credible in your eyes. I have never once said actions are not needed. In fact I agree people should stay home and stay away from large congregating places. My wife is a high risk person (Heart, COPD, Diabetic, Blind, on oxygen 100% of time), I've had her sequestered for the last month just because of the regular flu.

The CDC stated in 2018 we had somewhere between 1 and 2 million "reported" cases of the flu and over 30,000 deaths. Why don't we have the run and panic buying in the grocery stores every year for the flu? Who/what caused the panic? Looking at recent numbers (less than 12 hour old) for the COVID-19, the US has 7300 sick and 117 dead, world wide 207,000 sick and 8200 dead. Not even close to our normal USA flu year. So where was the call for national shutdown for the flu?

Yep I believe at some point in the next year almost all of us will get the Covid-19 disease and most will go on just fine, sad thing is yes more will die. And yes we need to take precautions to help limit the peak number of cases at any one time. Bloomburg reports there have been more than 40,000 deaths in the USA due to car accidents in the past 3 years, where the outcry for protection against car crashes. Where's Ralph Nader when you him?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    No pagey

I'm quite certain any source I might site is not credible in your eyes. I have never once said actions are not needed. In fact I agree people should stay home and stay away from large congregating places. My wife is a high risk person (Heart, COPD, Diabetic, Blind, on oxygen 100% of time), I've had her sequestered for the last month just because of the regular flu.

The CDC stated in 2018 we had somewhere between 1 and 2 million "reported" cases of the flu and over 30,000 deaths. Why don't we have the run and panic buying in the grocery stores every year for the flu? Who/what caused the panic? Looking at recent numbers (less than 12 hour old) for the COVID-19, the US has 7300 sick and 117 dead, world wide 207,000 sick and 8200 dead. Not even close to our normal USA flu year. So where was the call for national shutdown for the flu?

Yep I believe at some point in the next year almost all of us will get the Covid-19 disease and most will go on just fine, sad thing is yes more will die. And yes we need to take precautions to help limit the peak number of cases at any one time. Bloomburg reports there have been more than 40,000 deaths in the USA due to car accidents in the past 3 years, where the outcry for protection against car crashes. Where's Ralph Nader when you him?
    Comparing this with the flu so flippantly makes no sense. There is no vaccine for the Coronavirus. There is no approved treatment for it yet either. We do not have built up immunities against it like influenza. It is more contagious than the flu. It takes longer to present symptoms than the flu also endangering more people along the way. The mortality rate is estimated to be be between 10-34 times higher than the flu. The flu does not have the ability to overwhelm our hospitals like the Coronavirus.

If you don't have credible sources that is not my fault.

There is protection for car crashes and many people ignore them. When some were enacted there was an outcry against them

Post Likes
    Pagey
    Most of the time I find many of you comments and posts knowledgeable and of good judgement. I have said nothing different than others in this thread have stated, but you are not questioning their comments. What I have noticed is every now and then you decide your going to pick on someone just to show them they are wrong and you're correct. I guess I'm that person today. You are wrong in your perception of me and my comments. Yes I have agreed that the normal flu has about a 0.1% mortality rate (but it is still over 30,000 death in the USA) and the Covid-19 is more like 3.0% mortality, yes I get it. If we have 2 million get Covid-19 we could have over 60,000 dead out of a population of more 350,000,000. No we do not have vaccine for this which is why we need to keep the peak rate low, so we don't overload the medical system with those that are really in need of help

Covid-19 is not the flu, yep I get it, it's an upper respiratory disease (not the flu) but treatment is pretty close to the same as the flu, Ibuprophen and Tylenol to keep the fever down, stuff for diarrhea if you get that, fluids if you become dehydrated, Oxygen if needed, ventilator if needed, heat monitor if needed, isolation if needed, medicine to reduce inflammation if needed, anti-biotics if you get a secondary bacterial infection. Been there, had it, been in the hospital for the flu and pneumonia can be bad stuff, just like Covid-19 can be bad stuff. but the projections are the overall numbers sick and dead will likely be no worse than the flu. So why the panic that was the comment.

But that is the beauty of this I can have my opinions and you can have yours in the end this is all opinions

13. Likes pageyjim liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    I honestly think my sister had it almost a year ago, in Washington State. Same symptoms, not responsive to medicine, lasted 6 months from fever/upper respiratory infection to dry cough.
    What city/county?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast