Thread: Make up air

Post Likes

Make up air

Wanted to reroute my make-up air duct to get it out of the way....same connection and ducts just moving it over a beam.

Took apart the cold air return end ...looked and felt down the duct and there was zero air flow.

Went up to the wall where it went up into the floor joist area and started feeling around. Got my hand in an open end of the duct there too. Pulled it down and it wasn't connected to anything....just kinda buried up against the wall in the floor joist cavity.

This house was built in 2004...and I'm the 3rd or 4th owner and no one had caught this.

So I guess since this has been operating for 15 years without makeup air I'm just gonna get rid of the duct.

The high efficiency furnace has outside air intake for combustion....does this makeup air really need to be there?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What about your hot water tank ?

Post Likes
    Or your fireplace? Or your range hood?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hot water tank has its own combustion air intake.

Fireplace is gas direct vent.

Range hood strangely enough isn't vented outside...another thing that needs fixing someday. It just blows into a cabinet above.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Most occupants become accustom to higher levels of the indoor pollutants and reduced levels of oxygen during calm weather and closed windows.
    Bath fans and close driers can suck air in from some place.

Many codes, ASHRAE, Am Med Ass. and indoor air quality experts are now requiring or suggesting mechanical fresh filtered whenever a home or space occupied. Like a Fresh Air change in 3-5 hours.
    Also humidify or dehumidify to maintain 30-60%RH for comfort and control of biological growths 24/7.
    Why are some getting sick in their homes or even dying?
    For a test, try living inside of a large plastic bag for a while.
    I have a home in a green grass climate with fresh air ventilation and humidity control. When the outdoor dew point goes above 60^F, dehumidification is needed to keep the home <50%-55%RH with about 80 cfm of fresh air when occupied. After you get accustomed to this, you will notice the difference if something goes wrong.
    Get mechanical fresh air into your home and keep us posted on your reaction.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"