Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Appion valve core tool

Hopefully im using this wrong and its my fault but...

Im really not thrilled with these 2 bew core removal tools. They wont grab the shrader at all.

Is there a better core removal tool or am i perhaps using them wrong.?

Trying to upload a photo but having issues doing so on my phone. But theyre they appion valve core tools that you can buy at pretty much any wholesaler.

Post Likes
    Some valve cores are old and worn out and the tool won’t grab them. When this happens, I unscrew the core, then take the core remover off of the tool so the end is open. Obviously, the valve on the tool is closed at this point. Then, I crack the valve open for a second and system pressure shoots the core out. Just make sure the opening is aimed in a safe direction, or use something to deflect the valve core bullet.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

3. Likes UmmScott, BALloyd, Zman59, m singer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The first ones they came out with worked great. Then they came out with the new improved ones and they do not work nearly as well.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    The system nut is too tight smashing the oring. The core gets caught on the oring.

6. Likes rjk_cmh, Steve Max liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The system nut is too tight smashing the oring. The core gets caught on the oring.
    That makes perfect sense! I'll have to remember that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Supermarket Tech...and anything else the boss finds for me!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    Some valve cores are old and worn out and the tool won’t grab them. When this happens, I unscrew the core, then take the core remover off of the tool so the end is open. Obviously, the valve on the tool is closed at this point. Then, I crack the valve open for a second and system pressure shoots the core out. Just make sure the opening is aimed in a safe direction, or use something to deflect the valve core bullet.
    This is a trick I use on occasions with a known good VCRT. I had a CPS VCRT on a unit, last summer, and when I opened the valve to shoot the schrader out it became lodged in valve itself and I could not open or close the valve. Just spewing refer out like a flame thrower. At least it was on a 3 ton Bard unit so only a few pounds lost...welllll and a drowned polar cub, too. Once the unit was done blowing its load, I removed the VCRT and found an inner o-ring had dislodged and was partially jamming things up, too. I pay close attention to the condition of my O-rings now.

I could have just tried to cap the end, but I wasn't in the mood to play with frost-bite over a few pounds, if that.

Post Likes
    I too learned a lesson about using them. I won't bore you with the story, just say, that from now on, I don't tighten them like a gorilla, just snug and no leak, then they will either grab the core, or I'll let it blow it back against the puller, close the valve and remove. Once it's out and still in the crt, if I can close the valve, I'll blow it out, if not it goes back in for a second try.

I must say, I have a C&D CRT and it's worked flawlessly, holds a super low vacuum, and pulls cores no problem, I dunno, if they're all that much better than Appion, but I've not had any reason to throw it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Hopefully im using this wrong and its my fault but...

Im really not thrilled with these 2 bew core removal tools. They wont grab the shrader at all.

Is there a better core removal tool or am i perhaps using them wrong.?

Trying to upload a photo but having issues doing so on my phone. But theyre they appion valve core tools that you can buy at pretty much any wholesaler.
    My Appions grab the valve flawlessly. I have never had a problem with them.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    I have the new ones with the magnetic core remover fork (core grabber), and a pair of the older models. I don’t like the new forks either. I use the old forks with the new valves.

You can try to bend the new fork open or closed, but can’t ever seem to get it right. I think it has something to do with the recessed hole in the fork for the core depressor pin to go in. I think the hole is drilled too small. The older models worked well so long as you don’t over tighten and squish the o-ring.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I was having the same problem. itsiceman replied on another post to not tightened them down so much. I have not had problems since following his advice.

13. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Im gonna try this out.

And thanks to everyone for the replies! Much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The other potential reason is if the valve has a wrench on brass cap without the gasket. If the cap has been over tightened it can shrink the opening, making it harder to remove the cores.

Post Likes
    I have one of the new appion valve core removers and I had the same problem. I push the core remover all the way in and get it where I believe it should grab the schrader and lightly popped the handle. It did grab the schrader and worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast