Post Likes

Heat Pump w/ AUX Boiler

I don't want to break any forum rules so I'm just going to ask for some general advice because the contractor who installed my system seems to think what he did is "good enough". Anyway I just had a 3 ton 16seer carrier performance series heat pump installed, and I already have oil hotwater baseboard heat. The way the installer hooked it up boiler is the 'AUX'. Which is fine however the air handler runs no matter what. Heat pump or AUX. Is there a thermostat where I can run both systems simultaneously when needed, say at 32 degrees, and then say at 25 my balance point my air handler goes off, and my boiler takes over? Right now with my T5 I can set the balance point but the thermostat thinks the AUX is up in the air handler so I constantly have cold air blowing around. I don't know if I made myself completely clear but there is not too much info on automating a system with a boiler and heatpump everything is HP and furnace or HP and electric strips. The only reason I am asking all this is because I received a new electric bill and think I can do a lot better if my system had better automation. Right now I don't think the boiler kicks on unless the thermostat senses 2 degree drop? My current thermostat is a honeywell t5. I hope I made myself somewhat clear. I do have a basic understanding of how all this works I am no expert. I also just want to make note that there is a RIB RIBU1C up in the attic because both systems are 24v... sound right?

Thanks guys

Post Likes
    It can be done. However, I know of no thermostat that will turn off the fan when auxiliary heat is energized. Does your current set up turn off the heat pump at a given outdoor temperature? If the heat pump remains on you must have the blower running too.

Your contractor doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable or helpful. You'll probably have to get a better tech. They will have to add some inexpensive components to do what you seek.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarinello489 View Post
    I don't want to break any forum rules so I'm just going to ask for some general advice because the contractor who installed my system seems to think what he did is "good enough".

Anyway I just had a 3 ton 16 SEER Carrier Performance series heat pump installed,
    and I already have oil hotwater baseboard heat. The way the installer hooked it up boiler is the 'AUX'.

Which is fine however the air handler runs no matter what.
    Heat pump or AUX.

Is there a thermostat where I can run both systems simultaneously when needed,
    say at 32 degrees, and then say at 25'F my balance point
    my air handler goes off, and my boiler takes over?

Right now with my T5 I can set the balance point but
    the thermostat thinks the AUX is up in the air handler so I constantly have cold air blowing around.

I don't know if I made myself completely clear but there is
    not too much info on automating a system with a boiler and heat pump
    everything is HP and furnace or HP and electric strips.

The only reason I am asking all this is because
    I received a new electric bill and think I can do a lot better if my system had better automation.

Right now I don't think the boiler kicks on unless the thermostat senses 2 degree drop?
    My current thermostat is a honeywell t5.
    I hope I made myself somewhat clear. I do have a basic understanding of how all this works I am no expert.

I also just want to make note that there is a RIB RIBU1C up in the attic because
    both systems are 24v... sound right?

Thanks guys
    I doubt you will see much of a decrease, if any, in the overall cost of heating
    WHEN using heating oil at < ~22'F and no use of the heat pump.

EXAMPLE
    BASIS: Heating Oil $ 2.30 / gallon
    _________ $ 0.13 / kw-hr

Location = Not provided
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I have done it and was able to turn off the HP blower. You might need a better thermostat. I used the Vision Pro 8000. Worked just fine.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    I'm dual fuel with a Prestige IAQ. If Aux or Emerg. heat is called for, the blower is not.

Post Likes
    Have you considered making the Baseboard Primary and the HP aux heat? Just to try it out.
    Jason J Saylor
    Johnson Controls

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
    Have you considered making the Baseboard Primary and the HP aux heat? Just to try it out.
    That seems to be ' upside down ' logic
    regarding the desired use of a HP at higher temperatures.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    That seems to be ' upside down ' logic
    regarding the desired use of a HP at higher temperatures.
    Well think about it this way, He has Oil fired boiler that serves his Perimeter Baseboard Heaters, and the oil is cheaper than the electricity ( unless I looked at his spreadsheet wrong) the base board works for create a "Heated Air Curtain", once the T-stat senses the temp has dropped couple degrees the HP Forced Air will kick on...Was just a thought and would be a an easy check/modification to try out, I would be interested how it performed.
    Jason J Saylor
    Johnson Controls

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”

Post Likes
    Oh wait, I did look at his spreadsheet wrong, But I also noticed on the spreadsheet, the Heatstrips are used 22%...So, if you still go with my theory, and use the baseboard as primary, HP secondary and Electric heat strips as 3rd Heat Source, he may find a saving and comfort improvement.
    Jason J Saylor
    Johnson Controls

Post Likes
    Where is oil cheaper then electric?

If that were true you wouldn't need a heat pump.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
    Oh wait, I did look at his spreadsheet wrong, But I also noticed on the spreadsheet, the Heatstrips are used 22%...So, if you still go with my theory, and use the baseboard as primary, HP secondary and Electric heat strips as 3rd Heat Source, he may find a saving and comfort improvement.
    I think that if you set it up tyhis way, you would never need the second or third source of heat. Unless the boiler was way undersized.

I have never seen a boiler not keep temp.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop