Post Likes

Why home warranty companies are BAD!

Thought of sharing:
    When buying this home was offered a 5 year home warranty with a very low service charge / call. With seller providing 50% of upfront cost. Anyways took it.

My preferred HVAC guy was unavailable and suddenly found HVAC blowing air but no heat. Decided to with the warranty company who promptly sent a guy who fixed it in 15 min and left.

As I troll this site a lot and learn a lot from it after few days I decided to open up the panel and take a look. I found wires jumper together and I suspected there has been a bypass. I took photos and sent to my HVAC guy who immediately confirmed that the other guy bypassed my rollover / roll-something switch which is a serious safety hazard. He walked me via Facetime and I took of this switch went to Grainger and bought a new one and installed it under his supervision. He told me to carefully watch the flame upon HVAC starting for about 30 odd minutes. (I trust him - didn't want to go in depth why). If always blue and I don't notice ANYTHING odd then good -otherwise IMMEDIATELY shut down the unit and wait for his return...thankfully all was blue and nothing hinky.

Lesson learnt: they will bypass / hack and leave. That switch apparently has a significant role in ensuring safety.

Post Likes
    Does the new one say 'L180-30' or L200-40 or something like that on it, and did the old one also have that on it? Is it still tripping on the r/o switch?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Does the new one say 'L180-30' or L200-40 or something like that on it, and did the old one also have that on it? Is it still tripping on the r/o switch?
    Most likely not.

What you wrote would be found on the high limit, not the roll out!!

Roll out is a manual reset, single temp device.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Ah yes round shiny thing, grainger said its a roll-out switch fixed temp with manual reset. Apparantly there are those that can auto re-set. My unit takes the manual one.