Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EnergyOasis View Post
    I didn’t do electrical on the site - his buddy is electrician and ran 12/2 on a 20amp breaker to indoor and 8/2 on a 40 amp breaker to outdoor unit.

The guy had the unit & wanted to utilize it rather than a mini split... I prefer mini splits for the modulation that they give. I do a lot of DAIKIN mini splits in VRF installs in my commercial career.

http://www.thecomfortzone.com/heatin...ifications.pdf

The condensing unit is VSX130601BC - shipped with 0.086 orfice which is being used. The 7/8” line can accommodate an 8 foot lift (45 degree uprise).

I know this system is not optimal, and the next system (identical) I will try to setup as down-flow it possible. I’m using the 4” filter rack because I know it will load up the filter like crazy. This has been a learning experience & the client knows I’m a 3rd year apprentice (my Journeymen referred me this job).

Today I’m putting 6.5lb refrigerant in system & adjusting charge from there. I’ll get SH & SC, Compressor discharge temp & Amp Draw, and Evap delta T to post in follow ups, as well as better pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What do you have, a new OD unit and used AH, both parts are used? and just has a holding charge? One part new, other part used, both parts new, as you mention customer supplied.

How did you determine 6.5 lbs refrigerant charge for starters?

How long is your lineset?

If new OD unit, this is a updated 2018 specifications sheet, as you referenced a 2012 sheet. Factory charge looks to be different for the 60 from the 2012 to the 2018 spec. sheet by a good amount.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hGDdzq8IKt6Ptq

Shows all the AHRI matches starting on page 49. Does not mean your system won’t work, if not a match.

I’m with pecmsg, weight in charge, you can check subcooling in summer months once OD fan runs full throttle, once you install the required TXV.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-28-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Post Likes
    @EnergyOasis

You have enough posts now to sign up for Pro status (it’s free). Why don’t you get that process started so you can have access to all the info you need next time before you start the project.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

3. Likes EnergyOasis liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Every grow op i've ever been involved in has been sketchy AF. They are like minimart owners, bare minimum hack everything together and hope it works. $5 says when it all goes to $#!t they call and scream at you.

(id have passed on this one, but I know how tempting side work can be when youre new.)

Was there really not enough floor space to run it horizontal? would have made life a lot easier.

If youre not going to add any other duct, what not dispense with the supply plenum entirely and just put a metal deserter on the ceiling?

Grow rooms have very dirty air. your filter is going to need to be changed constantly. based on what you've already told us, I'm gonna guess that these guys aren't going to spring for a new 4" filter every other week(ill bet the one you leave them is the last that system sees, then its all 1" from home depot.) this is going exacerbate your airflow issues.
    -"There always seems to be enough money to do it right the second time"

5. Likes EnergyOasis liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Condensing unit: VSX130601BC
    Air Handler: ARUF60D14AC
    Lineset: 25ft {3/8 | 7/8} with a total rise of 6ft at 45degrees from Air Handler to Condensing Unit above. Piston orifice size 0.086.
    Air Handler rated at 1825CFM w/ .7” static pressure. Using 4” 20x25 MERV10 filter at bottom of return.
    Entire system evacuated to 340Microns holding (10min).
    Nameplate calls for 100oz (6lb 4oz). Will be adding that and seeing what system runs at this evening.

Post Likes
    BB
    Lineset: 25ft {3/8 | 7/8} with a total rise of 6ft at 45degrees from Air Handler to Condensing Unit above. Piston orifice size 0.086.
    Air Handler rated at 1825CFM w/ .7” static pressure. Using 4” 20x25 MERV10 filter at bottom of return.
    Nameplate calls for 100oz (6lb 4oz). Will be adding that and seeing what system runs at this evening.

so what are you saying? Your right were wrong?

Post Likes
    Finished my Pro Status application this afternoon.

9. Likes thatguy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EnergyOasis
    If the supply plenum has an opening of 24x11” & return filter is 6” off floor open on all 4 sides, do you think it will get enough air flow to deliver close to 5 tons?
    I vote yes...there are no "duct losses" involved.

The total return area is about 4 sq ft which will move 1800 cu ft at 450 ft/min which ain't crazy fast. Don't have a clue what the drop across a 4" filter might be.

If it turns out sour, you can always add turning vanes in the discharge plenum to reduce some of the turbulence.

Post Likes

So the OD unit has a holding charge and is used as why would you add 6 lb 4 ounces. Your other post said you plan on adding 6.5 lb, to me I read that as 6 lb 8 ounces. I would remove the factory drier and put a stub there then add a drier in the lineset if you have not already did that, talking used OD unit with a holding charge. Your only 10’ over ( in lineset ) over the 15’ that the data plate is good for, ( OD unit, ID matched unit, and 15’ of properly sized lineset ) There is a certain amount of refrigerant you add for every feet of LL over the 15’. I read it as adding 6 ounces to the 6 lb 4 ounces, so 6 lb. 10 ounces.

The new 2018 web-site spec. sheet the GMC VSX13060 says the ARUF60 is not a AHRI match ( should work thou ) your 2012 web-site spec. sheet looks to show it’s also not a AHRI match.

Used a Goodman GSX13060 install guide dated 2017, showed 7/8” OD tubing was acceptable for up to 24’ of lineset, your real close to that with 25’.

To bad no TXV and freezestat on your unit, as Goodman wants Contractors to follow those guidelines when they install low ambient kits on their units. If your GMC13 has a Reciprocating Compressor needs a start assist kit also, well I suppose if you install the required TXV.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-28-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Post Likes
    I would add a SG ,charge, maintain the proper head press and finish charging to a full glass. You can put the freon drum on a scale and see what the weight is then.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I would add a SG ,charge, maintain the proper head press and finish charging to a full glass. You can put the freon drum on a scale and see what the weight is then.
    I don’t think he is using a TXV...

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I don’t think he is using a TXV...

Does that mean that an orifice/piston is allowed to have a mixture of liquid/hot gas (activity)going thru the SG AND the metering devise?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Does that mean that an orifice/piston is allowed to have a mixture of liquid/hot gas (activity)going thru the SG AND the metering devise?
    Yes. Under some operating conditions that will occur while other conditions would result in a full sight glass. Both would be properly operating and normal if the charge is set correct. More often than not the sight glass will cause techs to over charge a system because they see flashing through the glass. Because he is using a piston type metering device he should be charging the system by using the calculated required suction superheat as the point of reference and guide (determined by the operating conditions at the time of charging), paying little to no attention towards the subcooling or what would be going on in the sight glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12