Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Is this even possible?

Purchased a new water heater 3 months ago. Propane went out in the home. Not knowing the propane was out I tried to light the pilot. The HVAC company comes back out. They said that because I tried to reignite the pilot with the propane out it built up pressure, and propane came back and was ignited it caused a combustion inside the unit. Therefore it voids the warranty.

Jersey in the winter I just need it fixed. They couldn't in a timely manner, so I called another company... I let them know what was up. They said impossible. I then asked another person I knew and he said it did not sound right to him at all.

My question is.. Is this possible under any scenario?

Name:  IMG_1308.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  95.0 KBName:  IMG_1305.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  97.3 KBName:  IMG_1306.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  56.3 KBName:  IMG_1307.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  90.1 KB

Post Likes
    Built up pressure? How so? Did it blow up on you or them?

The bad part about propane is it puddles at the lowest point. It could potentially sit in the bottom of the unit, but if you were attempting to ignite the unit and that gas did not ignite, then there is potentially an issue with the gas valve or igniter.

That unit is also equipped with FVIR “flammable vapor ignition resistant” safety control.

I think they are full of sh&t.

Besides, you don’t need the installing contractor to perform the repairs. Warranty parts can be acquired by anyone. They are just trying to get out of their labor warranty.

Sounds to me like Rheem should be offering a new unit before ending up with a lawsuit.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mantanque View Post
    Purchased a new water heater 3 months ago. Propane went out in the home. Not knowing the propane was out I tried to light the pilot. The HVAC company comes back out. They said that because I tried to reignite the pilot with the propane out it built up pressure, and propane came back and was ignited it caused a combustion inside the unit. Therefore it voids the warranty.

Jersey in the winter I just need it fixed. They couldn't in a timely manner, so I called another company... I let them know what was up. They said impossible. I then asked another person I knew and he said it did not sound right to him at all.

Aren't sediment traps required in NJ?

Overflow Pans?

Was a Permit pulled, job inspected?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Aren't sediment traps required in NJ?
    There is one on the water heater.

Overflow Pans?
    Looks like an unfinished basement. Does it still require one?

Was a Permit pulled, job inspected?
    How about the poor draft indicated by the melted rings around the water nipples.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I'm still confused as to the question.

Did the company say that there is a failed part and if so what part?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    That is exactly what the second HVAC company said. He said that there is no way this unit would pass inspection. He also mentioned a pip being too short. The original HVAC company was sent through my home warranty company. I was trying to be neutral to good feedback.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    How about the poor draft indicated by the melted rings around the water nipples.
    Missed that.

Post Likes
    That is exactly what the second HVAC company said. He said that there is no way this unit would pass inspection. He also mentioned a pip being too short. The original HVAC company was sent through my home warranty company. I was trying to be neutral to good feedback.

Post Likes
    The second company addressed that. Also had the chimney inspected.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Built up pressure? How so? Did it blow up on you or them?

The bad part about propane is it puddles at the lowest point. It could potentially sit in the bottom of the unit, but if you were attempting to ignite the unit and that gas did not ignite, then there is potentially an issue with the gas valve or igniter.

That unit is also equipped with FVIR “flammable vapor ignition resistant” safety control.
    This is what I was told

I think they are full of sh&t.

Besides, you don’t need the installing contractor to perform the repairs. Warranty parts can be acquired by anyone. They are just trying to get out of their labor warranty.

Sounds to me like Rheem should be offering a new unit before ending up with a lawsuit.
    I did not know that the installing contractor didnt have to perform repairs.

Post Likes
    I'm still confused as to the question.

Did the company say that there is a failed part and if so what part?
    I was told that because I tried to ignite the unit with no propane it cause pressure in the tank. When it was ignited there was a combustion in the tank that ruined the unit. Voided warranty and I need to pay for a new unit.

Post Likes
    How did propane pressure build up while there was no propane? <g>

If you have stated it accurately - what they told you is nonsense.

Whereabouts are you in NJ?

Oh sorry: the answer to your question is: Impossible to have happened as described.

PHM
    -------

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Home warranty companies tend to get the bottom of the barrel techs because they don't pay well.......ditch the home warranty company and their garbage tech.

The second company out sounds like a legit honest company so far.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast