Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Best HVAC filters

I read a lot of the thread here before getting our new HVAC installed and appreciate all the knowledge!

I have a simple (I hope) question: What is the best filter for our HVAC system. It's a TRANE XL16C package unit. We have a single air return in the hallway. (previously a 20X20, but today they came back and made it larger: 20X30)

I really want something that has a higher MERV and filters odor, too; BUT even moreso I want the best filter to make the new unit run at it's best for us.

In the past/old unit we've been using the Filtrete Odor Reduction.

Post Likes
    What does your installing contractor advise?
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    The air filters purpose isn’t to act as an air cleaner and odor remover for the home. It’s to protect the equipment against dust and debris.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pink toaster View Post
    I read a lot of the thread here before getting our new HVAC installed and appreciate all the knowledge!

I have a simple (I hope) question: What is the best filter for our HVAC system. It's a TRANE XL16C package unit. We have a single air return in the hallway. (previously a 20X20, but today they came back and made it larger: 20X30)

I really want something that has a higher MERV and filters odor, too; BUT even moreso I want the best filter to make the new unit run at it's best for us.

Then you need extra equipment!

Filtrete Oder Reduction is like Military's Intelligence, doesn't exist.

Post Likes

I have a simple (I hope) question: What is the best filter for our HVAC system.

It's A TRANE XL16C package unit. We have a single air return in the hallway. (previously a 20X20, but today they came back and made it larger: 20X30)

I really want something that has a higher MERV and filters odor, too;
    BUT even moreso I want the best filter to make the new unit run at it's best for us.

= MERV 11 __ Could create excessive dP
    Recommend MERV 8 MAX for 1" pleated filters.

Maintaining a low electrical load on the blower motor will increase the probability of an extended service life.

20" x 30" = 600 SQ INCH [ 4.17 Sq Ft ]
    should be able to handle about 1,200 CFM at < ~ 0.16"
    _______________________ 300 FPM ___

IF dP is not consistently < 0.16", then 4" or 5" thick is necessary.

How does that actually works within your # [?] TON system
    depends on The XL16C Blower and THE DETAILS of the duct layout.

_ _ _ ACCA MANUAL D = EVALUATION PROCEDURE
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Analogy. Chinese have been wearing paper masks to block diseases lately. Probably is helping but would sure cause problems if they were to run a marathon.
    Point is a piece if cardboard is great at stopping dust odors but sucks at allowing air flow.
    Have your contractor design an adequate airflow system that creates little pressure drop.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    What does your installing contractor advise?
    They put in a glasfloss zl 1"

Post Likes
    They put in a glasfloss zl 1"
    Just get a simple blue filter. One you can see light thru. That's all the static pressure the system can handle.

Post Likes
    and here I thought I had an easy question that wouldn't get a lot of nasty answers since it's the one thing that I assumed homeowners were allowed (REQUIRED) to do with their HVACs....

Silly me for thinking you all could be nice!

Post Likes
    and here I thought I had an easy question that wouldn't get a lot of nasty answers since it's the one thing that I assumed homeowners were allowed (REQUIRED) to do with their HVACs....

What because you didn't get the answer you wanted? Sorry but the system is not designed for what you want. it can be but costs go up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    What because you didn't get the answer you wanted? Sorry but the system is not designed for what you want. it can be but costs go up.

You'll notice that while I said I would like odor reducing... in my original thread I also said that I wanted what was best for the system. If that means no odor reducing, so be it.... But everyone, other than you, gave me grief and DIDN'T TELL ME THE BEST FILTER TO GET. Which is really all I need to know: brand, merv, whatever info I need to buy a few filters to have on hand (since I don't think anyone including you guys thinks I need to call the HVAC company every time I need to change my filter.)

"I really want something that has a higher MERV and filters odor, too; BUT even moreso I want the best filter to make the new unit run at it's best for us."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    And yes, truthfully I am upset I didn't get the answer I wanted... which was a simple what's the best filter?

Post Likes

Confused

and here I thought I had an easy question
    that wouldn't get a lot of nasty answers since
    it's the one thing that I assumed homeowners were allowed (REQUIRED) to do with their HVACs....

__ MERV 8 MAX.
    __ Most appropriate filter = one where the ESP is maintained < 0.5"
    __________________________ External Static Pressure

In other words, MERV 10 and > will NOT WORK WELL in nearly all systems.
    Blower motors do not like high pressure ( say, ESP > 0.7" W.C.) environment.

REALITY CHECK :
    _____ There are several informative responses here.
    ______________ i.e. Post # 3

It's an Easy Question --
    _________ Resolution is not soo Eazy.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast