Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Locally we have 3 Johnstones and less than a mile from one of them is Lute Supply, I think it is an Ohio chain, that sells it too. We also have Goodman's own distribution but Johnstone warehouses it for them.

Post Likes
    I welcome HVAC Vegas or other local Pros to contact me at my email - listed in my profile. If I can purchase a Goodman locally with an HVAC Talk Pro, or a Carrier/Tempstar once my concerns re: the poor HE engineering are ameliorated then I am open to going that route. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid79 View Post
    I welcome HVAC Vegas or other local Pros to contact me at my email - listed in my profile. If I can purchase a Goodman locally with an HVAC Talk Pro, or a Carrier/Tempstar once my concerns re: the poor HE engineering are ameliorated then I am open to going that route. Thanks again.
    The new secondary heat exchangers are all stainless, so delamination is no longer an issue, across the carrier/tempstar lineup.

If your stuck with goodman, two dealers locally that sell Goodman would be Apollo, or recker and boerger.

As a former Goodman dealer, at a previous company, I would stay away from the GMVM. Just my experiences. Especially on propane.

Not saying I support those companies in any way, shape or form, just that they are larger dealers for that product line.

Our company would not be able to compete with the previous bid you've received.

Company at your house wouldn't happen to be a 2 last names, with the salesman being Wilson would it?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Sorry Cincinnatikid, my company also would not be able to compete with the cost of bid you got. Now if it the company that I think Vegas is talking about, Goodluck with them- they are slam bam thank you mam get err done company that it is a roll of the dice if you get a quality job and long life without headaches.

A word of advice: if you are shoppping on price, you will always get what you pay for which is not much.

Goodluck cincinnatikid.

Post Likes
    Also as stated by Vegas, the secondary’s now are stainless which is no longer an issue.

And yes I have seen some of the old ones that had issues early in life but I can tell you from experience that my own unit was a bryant that was over twenty years old when I replaced it and never had a failure of the h/e. And almost every family member had the same system that all lasted over 20years and several still going.

I have seen far more of other manufactures have issues in the past than carrier/Bryant in my area with h/e but it was just carrier settled a lawsuit is the only difference so it helped some of their customers that had the issue.

Post Likes
    If you want long term reliability get a 80% furnace, but at propane costs, if the furnace only lasts 15 years at 95% efficiency your still ahead of the game I'd imagine

Post Likes
    Now I'm really confused. Last year you replaced the upstairs system with a Carrier system, but this year you are worried about Carrier reliability and the "class action suit"? What are you going to do when you need service or warranty, call two different companies?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    18 months ago I replaced my upstairs system that had been mixed with an all Carrier solution; at the time I was NOT aware of the HE issue and associated lawsuit. From the rust/corrosion I can now see that my downstairs unit was showing signs of the problem for years but it wasn't brought to my attention - despite the firm I was using being a Carrier Rep. Hence why I didn't even ask for a quote from them, not giving them my business. I have one quote for 3 system options, just furnaces, to replace my basement system with an American Standard product. They range from $4100-5200 - two are S9 other AUH series- some 2 stage one modulating, Variable speed blower or ECM. That quote came from a single-owned operator in the Centerville, OH area

I am a small businessman myself, worked hard and got lucky sold a business now building another one and I value owner/operators. My sense is my last HVAC solutions provider has owners now far removed from the field and they were much more concerned with sales volume then looking out for their customers.

-Burning propane should I shy away from modulating burners altogether?

Thanks again

Post Likes
    HVAC Vegas (sorry, I don't see a way to contact him directly and privately) how should I handle reaching out to Carrier? You mentioned they may be willing to issue a credit on a new system and indeed if they have fixed the HE problem then I would rather go with them as opposed to Goodman.

Post Likes
    HVAC Vegas (sorry, I don't see a way to contact him directly and privately) how should I handle reaching out to Carrier? You mentioned they may be willing to issue a credit on a new system and indeed if they have fixed the HE problem then I would rather go with them as opposed to Goodman.
    No manufacture will discuss this directly with the consumer. You need your service provider to contact the dealer.

Post Likes
    They (my prior HVAC company which happens to rep Carrier) didn't even offer to contact them, they just suggested I give them $$$$$ for a new top of the line system - again I fired them and have moved on, not necessarily from the brand but from that company. The American Standard quote came from friend of a friend, not opposed to giving him business but aside from that connection don't know how thorough he is and I agree it does make sense to keep it all in one family of brands if possible.

Post Likes
    Any hvac contractor can do warranty work on any manufacturers system. You want a contractor that will size the homes load using Manual J and design a ducting layout using manual D. You'll want the equipment to be an AHRI match for any rebates and to know what efficiency it is on paper. A commissioning report left with the equipment, this shows temperature rise across the exchanger, measured gas and static pressure, amp draw, etc. Most importantly it shows that everything was checked to spec before they left and they didnt just plug it in and run. Ask friends, family and employers who they trust and use

Post Likes
    They (my prior HVAC company which happens to rep Carrier) didn't even offer to contact them, they just suggested I give them $$$$$ for a new top of the line system - again I fired them and have moved on, not necessarily from the brand but from that company. The American Standard quote came from friend of a friend, not opposed to giving him business but aside from that connection don't know how thorough he is and I agree it does make sense to keep it all in one family of brands if possible.
    Make them aware that a Valid Manual "J & D" will be required before signing a contract then a complete Start up and Commissioning report when finished. This will add costs to the overall job simply because it adds a lot of extra labor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12