Post Likes

Issue with Lennox XP15

So this summer I figured I would change my 15year old goodman(CPLT30-1B)heat pump to a more recent one

I was suggested a Lennox XP15 which was installed and during the summer I didnt really have any issues with air conditioning

Come time to heat around Oct/Nov it seemed that the heat pump was not heating as well as my old one

I had a technician come 4 times

1st time seems there was a leak so they had to come back to find the source
    2nd time the found the source and the coil needed to be replaced
    3rd time they came and the coil was replaced but it still seemed like it wasn't heating well

So a few days ago they come for a 4th visit and they told me the heat pump is working fine and there is nothing for them to fix.

Yesterday it was around 1 degree Celsius and the heat pump still seemed to be under performing. Air felt rather cool and after a while my furnace kicked in

To my knowledge I should be able to heat via my heat pump exclusively from about -10c and warmer? This was about the threshold for my old one

Am I missing anything here?

Tech said that it possible the heat pump wont perform as good as my old one even if its brand new

I have been heating more with my furnace so im expecting my bills to be higher. Not sure if the savings are more from AC vs heat.

My furnace is electric as well and I have a fairly decent sized split home in Montreal Canada

Post Likes
    I don’t even see a XP15 Heat Pump listed on Lennox current site. XP14 and XP16. What the complete model number of OD and ID unit to see if it’s at least a matching system.

Possibly your final refrigerant charge is a little off, is your Air Handler or any part of your return duct in a cold environment, if so is the return duct sealed completely from surrounding air.

At -10 degree C is 14 degree F, you would really be pushing it getting warm air out of your supply ducts.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    What’s you ID coil number, you have a mismatched system ( does not mean it won’t work ) as you have a UTC furnace. I could not open up your google site. But anyway maybe it’s a Canadian thing but there is no current XP15 Heat Pump on Lennox web-site at least here in the USA.

Maybe your blower fan speed is set differently among other things from the Goodman.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...44wPR-Mb_IH6tb

Page 29 shows the expanded heating data at different OD temperature, as you can see when it gets into the teens the BTU is cut in half practically. Granted using a Goodman GSZ14 but it was much easier to find than Lennox. As an example only. That’s with a 21 degree C indoor dry bulb temperature.

I’m surprised your Goodman heated well at -10 degree C. I have a CPLJ Goodman it’s a 12 SEER system R22 I don’t run it much lower than -1 degree C
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-25-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    The top site is dated 4/2008 ( bottom of last page ) the lower site is dated 2009

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Search...2&ProgramId=69

The Bible for checking for matched systems, getting SEER, EER, HSPF among other ratings, enter only XP15 in the outdoor section, nothing shows, add XP14 or XP16 different story.

If you want,... provide serial number of the XP15 and someone here can tell when yours was manufactured, unless it states the year on the electrical data plate.

Looks like the OD unit comes with a factory drier inside the OD unit. With the system being opened several times, did they replace the factory drier or remove it from that location and installed a new one in the lineset? Is the existing lineset ( if reused ) the approved size that Lennox wants for your new system? Chances are it is.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-25-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Post Likes
    The serial number in your photo would indicate either a 2006 or 2008 unit.

This is from the indoor unit, air handler. When this "new" Lennox unit, provide photos of that data plate for us to see, was installed, what else did they change?

Using other than matched equipment, makes any promises or data all but useless!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I have no idea. Guess I may have to call someone to come and check cause I'm getting the feeling I'm getting screwed here

Post Likes
    Here is the only stick I found https://i.imgur.com/DafVS2m.jpg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidorulz View Post
    I have no idea. Guess I may have to call someone to come and check cause I'm getting the feeling I'm getting screwed here
    Says it was built January 2019 ( OD unit ) Reading the blower section built date was 8th week of 2006

You do not have a XP15, you have a EL15XP1 which is a current line.

https://www.lennox.com/products/heat...-pumps/el15xp1

All you need to provide is the model number and brand of the indoor coil, chance your system may be a matched system even with a older furnace. Doubt you will get 16 SEER thou.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-25-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    The top site is dated 4/2008 ( bottom of last page ) the lower site is dated 2009

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Search...2&ProgramId=69

The Bible for checking for matched systems, getting SEER, EER, HSPF among other ratings, enter only XP15 in the outdoor section, nothing shows, add XP14 or XP16 different story.

If you want,... provide serial number of the XP15 and someone here can tell when yours was manufactured, unless it states the year on the electrical data plate.

Looks like the OD unit comes with a factory drier inside the OD unit. With the system being opened several times, did they replace the factory drier or remove it from that location and installed a new one in the lineset? Is the existing lineset ( if reused ) the approved size that Lennox wants for your new system? Chances are it is.
    Looks like there is an EL15XP1 in the current products.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Looks like there is an EL15XP1 in the current products.
    Yes, looks like it. That part solved...