+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who makes a reliable deep fryer

Post Likes

Who makes a reliable deep fryer

Im so tired of replacing thermostats and high limits

Your typical 800 - 900 dollar fryers all have the same stat , and it seems everyone has them in the kitchen.

Does the more expensive fryer have a better stat ?

Post Likes
    Killer for stats is the folks cleaning them. Breaking the cap at the sense bulb. At least that is my story.....

Not sure if any of the available fryers have a way of protecting the bulbs....
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post

Does the more expensive fryer have a better stat ?
    Of COURSE! That's why they're more expensive!

I take it you're talking about basic gas millivolt fryers. They all pretty much all use a RobertShaw RX Series K-body thermostats, which are "assembled" in Mexico. An exception would be budget Frymaster uses a Sunnes thermostat, which are made in China.

The best mechanical thermostat is the strut and tube Fenwal that Frymaster also uses, but they have an entirely different mounting point in a frypot than the gas charged thermostats.

Otherwise, all other more expensive fryers use their own, (usually) proprietary electronic temperature controls.

Post Likes
    Ive only seen a few of those mechanical stats , has the 1/4 alum tubes going in and out the sides , then a cap tube with bulb , yea they last 10 years or more

Does any manufacturer offer those anymore ?

I spoke with my local food equip supply and they didn't know the answer …. largely because they don't stock the 1600 dollar fryers to take a peek at …. everyone wants elcheapo 700 - 900 ones , so all they have is 12 elcheapos on hand

Then he brought out some literature that said the " tstat" on the Pitco 40 gallon 1600 dollar one is Solid State

What ?

So does it have a computer ?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Then he brought out some literature that said the " tstat" on the Pitco 40 gallon 1600 dollar one is Solid State

What ?

So does it have a computer ?
    NO. Like most cooking equipment manufacturers, they offer basic mechanical controls, solid state...and computers.

Solid state is just a step above mechanical controls, but usually require 115v power in, then transformers to step voltage down for a solid-state board to operate from.

Computers get more complicated. Electronic timers. Product cook settings. Hysteresis. User interface.

Solid state is just a board, with a potentiometer, with a temp probe.

Here's a video to take you through all of that. CAUTION: It gets really BORING.

Sorry, but...YES - I did that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    NO. Like most cooking equipment manufacturers, they offer basic mechanical controls, solid state...and computers.

Solid state is just a step above mechanical controls, but usually require 115v power in, then transformers to step voltage down for a solid-state board to operate from.

Computers get more complicated. Electronic timers. Product cook settings. Hysteresis. User interface.

Solid state is just a board, with a potentiometer, with a temp probe.

Here's a video to take you through all of that. CAUTION: It gets really BORING.

Sorry, but...YES - I did that.
    EC, that’s a VERY impressive video you put together. The content is better than I’ve ever seen on the subject on temperature controls in our industry. I’ve forwarded it on to my... well I don’t know exactly what his title is as the position was newly created but he’s in charge of all of our in house training classes, setting up all of the mfg trainings and CFESA certs. He will love this.

Post Likes
    @ectofix you sir are a wealth of knowledge nice video.
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in