+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chiller COOLING TOWER STRAINERS Question

Post Likes

Chiller COOLING TOWER STRAINERS Question

We have a large cooling tower water Y strainer where I work installed installed after the pump on the condenser water loop for our chiller system. A young engineer there has installed a fine mesh screen around the original strainer to help catch smaller particles. It's causing the Delta T across the strainer to go higher. Was 1 to 2 psi diff now 3 to 4 psi dif and start up. After 24 to 48 hours it's about 10 to 14 psi. It's effecting the discharge pressure and causing the condenser flow control valve to open close to 90 percent. Just wondering if there is a recommendation out there somewhere about how large the filter screen holes should be. Standard strainer was close to 1/8th inch hole and the added screen is 1/32 of an inch. Any suggestions on strainer screen sizes? Thank you!! Chilly.

Post Likes
    If this is a large system you are better off going with a dual basket strainer with the 1/8" holes in the strainer. Either way the 1/32" is too small.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Do you mean it is installed before the pump?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They're installed on the pump's outlet Spitz. Also thank you Wayne3298 for the advice. I'll mention it at the meeting tomorrow.

Post Likes
    This whole condenser system is a poor design. Cast iron flapper valves for check valves. No seals. Water always falls back to the tank when the system is shut down. Start up, a wall of rushing water slams into the air eliminators. I had to put soft starts on the pumps to slow down the water when starting the system.

Post Likes
    I would want a low pressure drop strainer before my pump to protect it. There should be a triple duty valve after the pump. If you need a finer mesh filter I would put it on the outlet.

7. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Draining back to a tank is normally done to prevent freezing of the Tower basin and outdoor piping. Those check valves should be changed to non-slam. The 1/32" screens are called start-up strainers and are used temporarily for start-up of new systems. Soft start-up is a good idea even if you didn't have a problem.
    If they insist on having Y-strainers Sarco makes a scrapper strainer manual and motor driven. The motor driven one can be set up to automatically blow down. They now are running the risk of chiller trips due to the lack of condenser water flow.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I agree that 1/32 is too small. Have a site that had a basket with that size holes, and we’d get service calls every month or so, and have to clean the baskets. Changed to 1/8” and problems greatly reduced.

1/32” to 1/8” is almost a 20% increase in free area.

Anything that makes it through 1/8” is gonna make it through chiller tubes without getting stuck.

Post Likes
    Thanks Guys! Bringing this info to a meeting tomorrow. I will mention all three of you and your comments. Can't tell you where, but this is a system at a launch pad out at the space center in FL. I appreciate the thoughts.

Post Likes
    You are dealing with the operating contractor. My condolences.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Google search

"bac cooling tower pumping and piping"

There is a PDF that has really good info for you to read up on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post

That’s funny, how are you supposed to clean them when they are between the pump discharge and the check valve!? Usually the check valve is the triple duty valve.

Post Likes
    I always put a duplex basket strainer on the suction side of the pump. They are big but hold a lot of crap before needing cleaned. With open cooling towers that is important. You can also clean them without shutting the system down. I would never put two strainers in series on the pump discharge.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I would ask why the filtration needs to be that good. Perhaps there is something in the water? “Normally” you do not need such high filtration after start up.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    This is what I normally see.

Post Likes
    Funny too, they say fine mesh. What do they consider fine mesh. 1/8th inch holes??
    I removed one of the strainer screens this morning and it is way less than 1/32" More like a 64th. Thank you for all the good advice!

Post Likes
    Final action of the meeting on the fine mesh screens. Going back to the 1/8" ones that were designed to be in the system to begin with. The opposition was over ruled !!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    This is what I normally see.

That's not fair:

No leaking valves
    Rusted bolts
    4 Tons of crap in the way
    Grease and oil on everything
    Safety officer busting chops

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That's not fair:

No leaking valves
    Rusted bolts
    4 Tons of crap in the way
    Grease and oil on everything
    Safety officer busting chops

And the eyebolt didn't even pull out of the ceiling

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in