Post Likes

Hmm Shrader Valve Leak after Condenser unit relocation. Contractor responsible?

Hello everyone,
    Thank you for reading my thread. I have recently engaged an HVAC contractor to relocate my condenser unit around the corner of the house where it was previously located and upgrade my heat strips. After the work was completed (which cost me), there were some issues with the unit, and the contractor came out to resolve the issue (I wasn't present, as this is a vacation home). I was billed an additional $ because, according to the contractor, the shrader valve had a leak, and they had to refilll the refrigerant.
    It seems to me that it was the contractor's responsibility to check for leaks after moving the condenser unit and re-routing the refrigerant line. Even if the old shrader valve was used, and replacing it was not included, it appears that most of the cost in the new bill was to refill the refrigerant and troubleshoot the problem, which would have been avoided if the contractor had checked for leaks before leaving the property. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

Pricing removed by Admin
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-25-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Post Likes
    We probably would cover it or at least work with you on the cost. Techs SHOULD check schraeders for leaks after taking their hoses off but many don't.

Post Likes
    Schrader valves are only to provide access, not to prevent loss. The caps are for preventing leaks. If they put the caps back on and they were not defective, then no refrigerant should have been lost by a leaking Schrader valve.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We probably would cover it or at least work with you on the cost. Techs SHOULD check schraeders for leaks after taking their hoses off but many don't.
    Thank you so much, that helps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Schrader valves are only to provide access, not to prevent loss. The caps are for preventing leaks. If they put the caps back on and they were not defective, then no refrigerant should have been lost by a leaking Schrader valve.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. My impression from watching this video, is that, from time to time, when you use the shrader valve for access, it may start leaking refrigerant and may need to be replaced. My question was if it is a best practice, and should be the responsibility of the contractor, to check and make sure the valve doesn't leak when working on the refrigerant line:

(Sorry, looks like I can't post a link to the YouTube video... It was the first video that showed up when searching for "ac condenser unit shrader valve")

Post Likes
    BTW, this is the exact info from the invoice:
    "Performed leak search & found a schrader valve to be leaking and tightened the valve".
    The other item was to re-add the refrigerant that had leaked out.

Post Likes
    It may have not been leaking when the tech left, impossible to say. Personally I replace the cores anytime the system is opened because I've been bit before just like that. Everyone I've worked for would have worked with ya on the bill like BL said

Post Likes
    FYI lots of techs put down a leaking Schrader core as the cause because they are to lazy to leak search