Post Likes

Nothing like phosgene in the evening

I was searching for a leak in this Zero Zone sandwich display cooler tonight. The TXV was encapsulated in ice, so I got my MAPP gas torch out to melt the ice so I could check the valve for leaks.

When I lowered my torch into the bottom of the cabinet, a couple of big orange flame balls formed from side to side, and front to back. Now, I dont know if burning 404a still makes phosgene, but it sure burned my lungs. I dont think Ive had that pleasure for over 10 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    In addition, according to my wife, I don’t have very many brain cells to spare.

3. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A torch leak detector never lies be it for refrigerant or combustible gas. Maybe not the "approved" way to leak check, but...
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Halide leak detector.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I like the dinosaur. Not a lot of Sinclair gas stations left in this world. Also not a lot of small self contained Zero Zone refrigerators out there either I don't think. Most of the ones I've seen have about 20 glass doors on them. Actually, is that self contained, or is it hooked up to a small rack system? Being hooked up to a rack would make more sense considering the amount of refrigerant that was allowed to just hang out in the air near that expansion valve like that.

Just be glad that thing wasn't running on propane.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Yep. Sinclair station with a giant dinosaur outside. This was a self contained unit which took 6lbs of refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Burning HFC refrigerants cannot produce phosgene because HFCs contain no chlorine, however they do contain fluorine and so produce hydrogen fluoride (hydrofluoric acid) which can be as bad or worse than phosgene.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/hydr...sics/facts.asp

Post Likes
    Now if you were running hydrocarbons there would have been a flash and at worst your eyebrows would have had to grow back. But no toxic fumes.

Sent from mars using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thought that 410a was non flammable? Orange fireballs speak to me of propane or mapp...
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Thought that 410a was non flammable? Orange fireballs speak to me of propane or mapp...
    He said 404A, not 410A.

As for EITHER ONE concerning flammability, Google says:

• R404A is non-combustible, but toxic gases can be produced by thermal decomposition in a fire.
    • R410A is not flammable at ambient temperatures and atmospheric pressure. However, this material will become combustible when mixed with air under pressure and exposed to strong ignition sources.

I think oil in the system played a part for making the fire ball.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    It was 404a and I was using MAPP gas.