Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Automotive Problem Scanners

When the scanners first came out I had one for fords. It gave me 10 or 12 possible problems on a van that was new and run perfectly. The present scanners appear to be a lot better. Does anyone know that for sure?
    If so what does a good one cost and are the vehicle specific?
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    If so what does a good one cost and are the vehicle specific?
    $ to $$$$$ .....really depends on what you want to do and to what vehicle.

Yes there are vehicle specific.

Can you be more specific....pretty broad topic.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was wondering mainly if it makes sense to buy one for my van. The local parts store will hook up and tell me the codes but if the van will not start big problem.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    If you just want to check OBD2 codes get an ELM 327 adapter, which is dirt cheap, then get the Torque app.

If your van is a Ford as alluded to above, then take a look at this

https://www.obdadvisor.com/ford-scan-tool/

If you want to actually be able to run component tests and do adaptations to modern vehicle systems, you will need something that starts at a minimum of a few hundred dollars.

This is why I like VW/Audi vehicles. A company makes a scan tool called VCDS often referred to as Vag Com. For $500, I got one. It can access many advanced vehicle functions. Probably saved me thousands in repairs so far.

Other vehicles can be more difficult. You can get a clone of the Mercedes vehicle diagnostic tool, but you also have to get a specific old laptop to run it on and apparently the program is a bit clunky as a user interface, although apparently the BMW clone is way worse.

Post Likes
    Thanks I'll check this out. Sounds like one like I want for my Ford van may be good enough at a reasonable price. All I want is something that will tell me what the likely problem is if the van runs bad or will not start.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    If the van runs that bad or wont start then a scanner won't help.
    Obd codes are basically emissions only. So they will let you know you have a misfire or lean\rich condition.
    They can help pinpoint which cylinder is misfiring and possibly give you live data on your sensors.
    However if something is not starting or it's running like a bag of hammers then a scanner won't help.
    Reading 99 codes that are in the system won't tell you anything. If it doesn't start or it runs horribly then you need a good grasp on the basics.
    You need to check fuel, spark, compression and timing. And the scanner hasn't been invented that checks those for you....
    Although they actually can check timing but only based on cam\crank position sensor.
    And doing a timing check through a sensor when things aren't proven right is asking for trouble as sensors go bad...

Post Likes
    The van is running great now. A while back is started running really rough. The local parts store scanned it and gave me 4 things that could be wrong. One was the coil for cylinder number 7 and another was no 7 spark plug. It started running rough so quick the plug seemed unlikely so I replaced the coil. It instantly ran better but didn't totally straighten up for a couple of days. That's the type of thing I want a scanner to tell me.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Your making a lot of assumptions. It depends on the scanner and the vehicle manufacturer.

My VCDS scanner can read a hell of a lot more than 99 points on an Audi/Volkswagen vehicle including numerous live data points. You can easily narrow down or pinpoint the problem on a poorly running or non-starting vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    If the van runs that bad or wont start then a scanner won't help.
    Obd codes are basically emissions only. So they will let you know you have a misfire or lean\rich condition.
    They can help pinpoint which cylinder is misfiring and possibly give you live data on your sensors.
    However if something is not starting or it's running like a bag of hammers then a scanner won't help.
    Reading 99 codes that are in the system won't tell you anything. If it doesn't start or it runs horribly then you need a good grasp on the basics.
    You need to check fuel, spark, compression and timing. And the scanner hasn't been invented that checks those for you....
    Although they actually can check timing but only based on cam\crank position sensor.
    And doing a timing check through a sensor when things aren't proven right is asking for trouble as sensors go bad...

Post Likes
    I am leaning toward the AUTOPHIX 7710. Looks like it will do most of what I'm thinking I need.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    If you have a Ford you really should check this out. For free it basically gives you an equivalent dealer scan tool. You could program keys and much much more.

https://forscan.org/home.html
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    How does that work pageyjim? Is it an adapter you hook to the vehicle and your computer?
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Phone or computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O21QhyXnLRQ

Need an ELM adapter. There are good ones and bad ones.

Basically plug in the ELM adapter then connect that to phone or computer. Hardwire or bluetooth.

Lots of info vids online etc... This one seems pretty good to start.

13. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have the one that is the "editor's pick" in the link below. I actually haven't used it yet but I believe it to be a good one. It appears identical to the one BALloyd posted but unsure if the functions actually match up.
    I got mine for a troublesome issue that ended up being the PCM so didn't need it ultimately.

https://www.obdadvisor.com/best-forscan-adapter-review/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast