Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 44

Thread: Just Wondering

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hibbing, MN
    Posts
    823
    Post Likes
    For every 100 posts I read, I post to one. I usually don’t post unless I have something new or constructive to say. Usually, someone else has posted the advice I would have given. Every time I’ve posted a question or problem, you guys are so quick and willing to help out!

    This is my daily, go-to site for learning and helping others.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

  2. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
  3. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    For every 100 posts I read, I post to one. I usually don’t post unless I have something new or constructive to say. Usually, someone else has posted the advice I would have given. Every time I’ve posted a question or problem, you guys are so quick and willing to help out!

    This is my daily, go-to site for learning and helping others.
    Same!

    I read (and learn) more than I write. So many smart people here, there is rarely a time that I have anything to add.

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    4,110
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Lahrs we all feel the way you do. Many times if I were to add to a post it would just be a repeat of a comment already made. I like to ask technical questions because every time there are responses that amaze (not surprise) me.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  5. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
  6. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    78,530
    Post Likes
    Seems a lot of tradesmen lurk here. And just do searches here until they find a thread or two that leads them in the right direction.

    That way, they don't get the belittling replies that imply they shouldn't be in the trade.

    Lots of home owners also lurk to find the answers to their questions.

    Why join if your going to be belittled.

    And of course, who doesn't like checking out the Wall of Shame forum from time to time.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  7. Likes Spitz liked this post.
  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    26,599
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Ahhh...yes but there's no school for life experiences.

    I don't know about that, I'm a graduate from the School of Hard Knocks.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I don't know about that, I'm a graduate from the School of Hard Knocks.
    Congrats on your achievement. I'm still trying to graduate!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    26,599
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    Congrats on your achievement. I'm still trying to graduate!
    I got a hard knock coming up. Old Carrier heat pump. Forty years old. Two circuits, and each circuit has 4-6 check valves. No numbers on the wires. Bunch o' relays. Won't defrost. Mid level tech turned it over to me. Printed out the schematic last night, then taped the three pages together. Including the legend page and the component layout page (five pages total), that thing is four feet long. Didn't actually measure it, but it sure looks that long.

    You ever work on any of the old Carriers? They're famous for making you follow the circuits back and forth from high volts to the low volts. You get relays with two or three sets of contacts, and you start going off in all sorts of directions . . .
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  11. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil, EC
    Posts
    14,366
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Can't help but wonder why the guests visiting this site usually outnumber the members 100 to 1. Does anyone know the reason?
    "Guests" include much more than just unregistered members and lurkers. The majority of hits on the site are from search engine bots from Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. as they index the site. They help to generate new traffic and potential new members.

  12. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I got a hard knock coming up. Old Carrier heat pump. Forty years old. Two circuits, and each circuit has 4-6 check valves. No numbers on the wires. Bunch o' relays. Won't defrost. Mid level tech turned it over to me. Printed out the schematic last night, then taped the three pages together. Including the legend page and the component layout page (five pages total), that thing is four feet long. Didn't actually measure it, but it sure looks that long.

    You ever work on any of the old Carriers? They're famous for making you follow the circuits back and forth from high volts to the low volts. You get relays with two or three sets of contacts, and you start going off in all sorts of directions . . .
    Micro switch on electro mechanical timer. Good luck!

  13. #23
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    26,599
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    Micro switch on electro mechanical timer. Good luck!
    Could be, had that same problem on a Trane of the same vintage last Winter. Now that I have the schematic I can easily simulate a defrost. If it does not go into defrost with my jumpers, then the fun begins.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  14. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    4,110
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    BBeerme my dad always said he went to the school of hard knocks. He never claimed he graduated. That's the hardest school to graduate from on the planet. Does anyone ever graduate?

    There are a lot of members here but some probably don't join because they don't realize the wide range of resources here. I haven't done much car work in years and am out of touch with the control systems. I ask what scanner I should buy if any to trouble shoot my van. The answer was quick and on target once I clarified what I was after. Nothing to do with HVAC but the question was answered.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  15. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Seattle washington
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    I am new here and joined to fill the gaps in my HVAC knowledge. I have been in it for a while but will be the first to admit I don't know it all.

  16. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
  17. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    27,399
    Post Likes
    For some years I have recommended this website to guys who very clearly need the help available here. So far as I know; almost none have joined or at least not gotten/remained active.

    #1 reason given: I don't have time.

    Which may have some merit - they are probably screamingly busy doing all their call-backs.

    PHM
    -------


    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    This is a great site and you would think anyone remotely involved with HVAC would want to join after looking at it. I looked at other sites before I found this one and none of them hold a candle.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  18. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR