Post Likes

Combo unit AC is fine heat pump not so much

Hi all,

New home owner here (yay!)(Sacramento area so temps are pretty mild lows around 32f and highs around 60f)

I have an all-in-one Carrier model: 50EZ-A36---30-- serial: 1810C77239 (so 2010 right?)

I noticed that when my heat turns on, I am getting some airflow at warmer temps than the house, great! However, the condenser and top fan (don't know what to call this) NEVER turn on. The blower seems to be cranking away with the electric strip heater. Though I haven't cracked into the the panel that houses the electric coils, I figure this is the case based on airflow, temp and my RIDICULOUS power bill that just came after only two weeks living here.

An HVAC guy is coming in a few days but I am trying to speed his visit along with all pertinent info that I can have ready and I'd like to be able to know a little about what he is talking about. Also, I'm the type that, though I can't do much on my own, I like to understand what I own (I army-crawl around under my raised foundation house to follow the water, electricity and gas just so I know where everything is).

The big check I did today was to turn my thermostat to off for a few mins, then turn on the AC. The condenser and top fan both kicked in right away and started cooling quickly.

My thermostat claims to be able to work with heat pumps (Honeywell RTHL2310B)

My two ideas are that the pressure switch is "stuck" or that it is stuck in defrost mode. If it's the former, might the fix be to replace the switch and/or blow out the lines?

Again, just trying to understand some of the most probable things he might suggest to help me be conversational and trying to give him any info I can upon arrival - time is money!

Thanks all!

Post Likes
    Could be the thermostat, its not listed to be used on heat pumps with aux heat.

Could be the defrost board.

Could be an over charge causing it to quickly lock out in heat mode.

Could be an air flow issue causing it to lock out on high head pressure.

Often when a home owner tries to save the tech time by giving suggestions. It actually adds time. As the suggestion is wrong. And then the tech has to go back to his normal service procedure, and start over.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Built 18th week of 2010. Packaged unit is a common term to what you have ( one piece ) You don’t mention how long it runs after resetting, ( the A/C )

Post Likes
    Stat says works on heat pump without backup so my guess is someone wired it for straight electric. My bet is needs the right stat. Won't take long for a tech to figure that one out.

Post Likes
    SHOULDNT take long

Post Likes
    Yea, I forgot there's some rocket scientists out there that couldn't figure out low voltage wiring if they had to
    Like the one who wired this up upon installation.

Post Likes
    It doesnt bother me that they wired it wrong or they grabbed the wrong home cheapo tstat, we're all human and make mistakes. Finishing the job and never test firing it to make sure it even works correctly or at all, boy, that's just pure laziness. I can forgive mistakes but not laziness

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    It doesnt bother me that they wired it wrong or they grabbed the wrong home cheapo tstat, we're all human and make mistakes. Finishing the job and never test firing it to make sure it even works correctly or at all, boy, that's just pure laziness. I can forgive mistakes but not laziness
    We’ve all made mistakes, that’s how we learned. This is beyond mistakes!