Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Post Likes

    Question Safe to use fewer heads than an outdoor mini split unit supports?

    I'm trying to select the right combination of parts for a new mini split system. I'll need 20-24K BTUs of cooling, but the layout of the building makes it difficult to install more than 2 heads indoors. For the brand I'm currently considering, there isn't a two-zone outdoor unit with enough BTUs, but there is a three-zone option (Pioneer YN030GMFI22M3D).

    If I bought the 3-zone unit (24K BTUs) and had 2 indoor units (12K BTUs each) installed, could that work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    11,847
    Post Likes
    What does your installer suggest doing?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

    Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  3. Likes sonnyspop liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    9,969
    Post Likes
    What does YOUR MANUFACTURER Recommend?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  5. Likes sonnyspop liked this post.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    I'm trying to select the right combination of parts for a new mini split system. I'll need 20-24K BTUs of cooling, but the layout of the building makes it difficult to install more than 2 heads indoors. For the brand I'm currently considering, there isn't a two-zone outdoor unit with enough BTUs, but there is a three-zone option (Pioneer YN030GMFI22M3D).

    If I bought the 3-zone unit (24K BTUs) and had 2 indoor units (12K BTUs each) installed, could that work?
    For posterity, this was the reply from Pioneer:

    Yes you can install the 3-zone unit which is 27,000 BTU with 2 of the 12,000 BTU units and leave the 3rd circuit closed. This will work fine with just 2 indoor units and you can always have a spare circuit available if desired later on.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    7,288
    Post Likes
    It appears you'll be buying the equipment online. That's cutting corners. Warranty for that often does not exist. Finding a qualified contractor willing to install it may be impossible. Getting an unqualified contractor (or DIY) has the potential for huge disappointment or disaster.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

    Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/


    There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    9,969
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    For posterity, this was the reply from Pioneer:

    Yes you can install the 3-zone unit which is 27,000 BTU with 2 of the 12,000 BTU units and
    leave the 3rd circuit closed.

    This will work fine with just 2 indoor units and
    you can always have a spare circuit available if desired later on.
    _ SAFE, Reliable AND Expected Equipment Life
    are probably NOT similar endpoints.

    : Enter this SCHOOL-OF-HARD-KNOCKS to discover YOUR Ultimate Frustrations.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    9,969
    Post Likes
    PIONEER _ _ YN030GMFI22M3D
    _______________ GMCC Rotary Compressor
    ___ https://www.pdhvac.com/site/downloads/YN-M22-2016.pdf

    Where is the production of GMCC products located?

    Parts distribution is through what entities?

    What is the Warranty?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    It appears you'll be buying the equipment online. That's cutting corners. Warranty for that often does not exist. Finding a qualified contractor willing to install it may be impossible. Getting an unqualified contractor (or DIY) has the potential for huge disappointment or disaster.
    The warranty does exist: it's 5 years.

    I've already talked to multiple licensed contractors who are perfectly willing to install factory-sealed equipment purchased by the owner.

    If I had a little more time and a little less money, rolling the dice on "disaster" just might make sense. When the cost of labor exceeds the cost of the equipment, you have to understand why some people would take the risk.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    7,288
    Post Likes
    You're looking for a way to lower your cost. We have costs as well and that's why we charge for our time, our tools, our training, our vans, our insurance, our office, our taxes, etc...

    The internet won't replace those things for you. If your contractor can't be found in 6 months or 1 month then he didn't make enough and you'll be left high and dry.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

    Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/


    There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    9,969
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    I'm trying to select the right combination of parts for a new mini split system.

    I'll need 20-24K BTUs of cooling, but
    the layout of the building makes it difficult to install more than 2 heads indoors.

    For the brand I'm currently considering,
    there isn't a two-zone outdoor unit with enough BTUs,
    but there is a three-zone option (Pioneer YN030GMFI22M3D).

    If I bought the 3-zone unit (24K BTUs) and had 2 indoor units (12K BTUs each) installed, could that work?
    One 12,000 BTU/HR head in ~900 Sq feet should NEVER be AN ACCESS NOR SPACE CONCERN.

    It may well be an air distribution issue.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    622
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    The warranty does exist: it's 5 years.

    I've already talked to multiple licensed contractors who are perfectly willing to install factory-sealed equipment purchased by the owner.

    If I had a little more time and a little less money, rolling the dice on "disaster" just might make sense. When the cost of labor exceeds the cost of the equipment, you have to understand why some people would take the risk.
    The 5 year parts warranty exists but what kind of warranty support are you going to get out of the contractor that installs it? If you paid a contractor to purchase and install it you'd get at least a one year labor warranty and possibly an extended parts warranty if it's registered online. It's your house and if you can find a decent contractor to put it in, more power to you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR