+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: College Degrees Best and Worst

Post Likes

College Degrees Best and Worst

Just wondering what college degrees you all think are the best and worst. That includes marketability if you wish.
    My vote for the most worthless is the liberal arts degree. I have never been able to have a reasonable discussion with one of those people.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We do work at a liberal arts college.
    I overheard a conversation between two girls in the dining hall last year. It was set to the tone of a Kardashian episode, every other word was “like”.
    But the context of the conversation was one girl telling the other that once she graduated she was pretty sure she could get a job as a “Shakespeare expert” that would pay around $100-$120k a year.
    The whole conversation just gave me a headache. Neither of them had any clue what reality was.
    Unfortunately they chose to sit at the table right next to the fan coil unit I was working on.
    The whole rest of the campus had about the same grasp on reality.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    The most worthless degree goes to any from Trump University Best too many to list anything from Harvard University, Princeton University or Yale University.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Liberal arts is really the best choice for most things. You are learning how to think and present.

Unless you want to be an accountant.

Post Likes
    rider that reminds me of a court trial I saw on TV some time back. One young lady brought her girlfriend to testify on her behalf. The girl friend kept saying things such as it was like he did this or that. The judge ask her several times was it like that or did that happen. She couldn't understand her jargon was not acceptable as fact in a court of law. The judge got frustrated and finally threw the case out.
    Knowing her friends case was at stake she refused to speak in a legally acceptable manner. I took it being cool was more important to her than her friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Just wondering what college degrees you all think are the best and worst. That includes marketability if you wish.
    My vote for the most worthless is the liberal arts degree. I have never been able to have a reasonable discussion with one of those people.
    Hmm. "Liberal arts, also referred to as the humanities, includes the study of history, literature, writing, philosophy, sociology, psychology, creative arts, and more. More broadly speaking, students earning a liberal arts degree learn to formulate effective arguments, communicate well, and solve problems."

Post Likes
    pagey how do they learn to solve problems? Not picking on you just don't understand.
    Thomas Jefferson

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    As a successful 10th grade dropout who was raised by a successful college flunky whos childhood friend has a degree in marine biology and cleans toilets to make the payments on her student loans I may be a bit biased.

I think all degrees are useless paper and actual brains win every time.

Now if you have a strong interest in something and the brains to do it but a college degree is required like nuclear physics and engineering than it could be worth it.

Sent from mars using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    pagey how do they learn to solve problems? Not picking on you just don't understand.
    Key Skills of Liberal Arts Majors:
    Writing
    Speaking
    Foreign languages and cross-cultural knowledge
    Numeracy
    Research and information retrieval
    Analytical thinking
    Creative thinking
    Effective with ambiguity
    Learning and synthesizing new ideas.

It stands to reason that a broad based education makes a well rounded person with a wide skillset.

Why is it that you have a hard time to have a reasonable discussion with a person with good communication skills?

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    They don't that's why we get to charge those type for changing the batteries in there thermostats and plugging in the furnace and such.
    Sorry I have no respect for college or public school in the us. I hate it very much. I would rather work on goodman units on a roof in Texas all day every day for the rest of my life than re live 1 day of public school.
    I read the encyclopedia during class to prevent the inevitable death by boredom instead of doing the classwork or homework.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

12. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    R600a Looks you are biased but experience does that to everyone. I think some degrees are worth the effort and some are not. I'm mainly interested in which is good and which is not so good. I think you have a good point to a point.
    Glad you responded.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    R600a Looks you are biased but experience does that to everyone. I think some degrees are worth the effort and some are not. I'm mainly interested in which is good and which is not so good. I think you have a good point to a point.
    Glad you responded.
    What is YOUR criteria "good and not so good?"

Post Likes
    My aunt on the other hand graduated 10 years of college with a master's in computer science and 50000 in the bank and no debt and got a job with HP almost immediately and has worked there ever since. Now she is probably a millionaire and she has several patents.
    The main thing is she had the brain for it to begin with but she is the only person I know that got a college degree in the last 30 years that used it and isn't still in debt from it.

Post Likes
    The first chartered college in the United States of America was a liberal arts college. George Washington lent his name and a personal donation to start it.

Post Likes
    Every conversation I had pagey was concerning engineering. The problem I had was they seemed to think they had a good grasp of the subject but didn't have a clue.
    One guy was the head of construction at a company. I had to redesign a system that included superheated steam supply to a production machine. I needed to know the steam usage and he told me that information was a company secret. He told me the demand based on his calculations. His existing supply was short with a 2 inch pipe. The demand he gave me would easily flow through a 3/4 inch pipe. He gave me the information which required calculating the flow through a bunch of flow orifices. He needed a 3 inch pipe. That's just one stupid thing he did that he should have known better than to attempt.

Good or not is the opinion of all who respond to this thread.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Every conversation I had pagey was concerning engineering. The problem I had was they seemed to think they had a good grasp of the subject but didn't have a clue.
    One guy was the head of construction at a company. I had to redesign a system that included superheated steam supply to a production machine. I needed to know the steam usage and he told me that information was a company secret. He told me the demand based on his calculations. His existing supply was short with a 2 inch pipe. The demand he gave me would easily flow through a 3/4 inch pipe. He gave me the information which required calculating the flow through a bunch of flow orifices. He needed a 3 inch pipe. That's just one stupid thing he did that he should have known better than to attempt.
    You go to that from your opening post to where you said "I have never been able to have a reasonable discussion with one of those people."?

Do you think your opening statement was a reasonable statement with that post as your "reasoning?" Do you think it may have been misleading maybe? Where you now say "every conversation I had pagey was concerning engineering."

Post Likes
    Best degree right now in this current world we are in i believe is a toss up between software engineering and biomedical engineering. Both industries are seeing MASSIVE and EXPLOSIVE growth. Gene thereapy, related to DNA sequencing is looking to be a game changer in the biomedical field, when it comes to identifying diseases within our genes/DNA and eliminating them before symptoms occur. Software engineering for sure due to the growth of artificial intelligence, data science, and everything moving forward with technogy. I mean look at the market we have: Microsoft and Apple both with over a trillion dollars market cap EACH! If i had to do it over i would choose one of those two fields but alas i chose HVAC lol.

Worst degree would have to be philosophy/history degree. I mean unless you are going to become an author, the degree does not really give you any valuable skills besides pondering and having deep discussions. Its a cool topic to learn but the value is lacking the most IMO.

Post Likes
    In a thriving and well rounded society there is no best or worst degree. All are needed to have that kind of society.

Post Likes
    I don't believe there is a best or worst. I depends on the individual and their field of endeavor and interests. A BA generally covers a broader variety of education towards a particular major, a BS would be more specialized and in depth. Guidance counselors work towards individualizing a persons goals and interest and are more adept at finding the better route. Either way is a good experience in critical thinking and academic achievement.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    As a successful 10th grade dropout who was raised by a successful college flunky whos childhood friend has a degree in marine biology and cleans toilets to make the payments on her student loans I may be a bit biased.

I think all degrees are useless paper and actual brains win every time.

Now if you have a strong interest in something and the brains to do it but a college degree is required like nuclear physics and engineering than it could be worth it.

" I think all degrees are useless paper and actual brains win every time".

Okay so the millions of americans that graduate every semester in this country are all holding a worthless piece of paper? Thats quite a statement sir !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in