Thread: Payne vs. Luxaire Brand Compare

Post Likes

Payne vs. Luxaire Brand Compare

Hello - I am replacing a 20 year old system (1 of 3 zones - all currently Yorks), and two different well-known, reputable contractors have given me some quotes that I am struggling to compare across brands. I will not provide exact pricing because I know that is against the rules.

The space requires a 60,000 BTU furnace and 2 Ton A/C.

Cheapest quote - by a decent amount is a Payne, 96% AFUE furnace 13 SEER AC - Contractor 1
    Next is for York Luxaire 95% AFUE furnace, 13 SEER AC (30% more expensive) - Contractor 2
    Then is the carrier - 96% AFUE, with a bit higher SEER, 2 stage... another 10% more expensive than the York - Contractor 1

My understanding is that the York and Payne are comparable, so I am surprised such a difference between contractor 1 and contractor 2.

What do the experts think?

Post Likes
    Choose the contractor Wisely. I don't care woes names on the box's.

The contractor makes or breaks a system!

Post Likes
    Payne is bare bones Carrier, A/C made in Mexico. Usually sold to anyone with green in their hand.

What models York?

What models Carrier? 2 stage A/Cs are pricey, surprised only 10% over York.

Post Likes
    May want to post model numbers of furnaces and A/C units, could be several reasons for the price differences, least of not profit margins, labor warranties, types of blower motors, overhead cost, etc. etc. they quoting AHRI matched systems. One is one isn’t?

Those furnace probably would qualify for any rebates if your state or local gas company has any.

How was it determined you need a 60K furnace and a 2 ton system, someone did a accurate load calculations?

Post Likes
    Thank you all for your quick replies

Well, I just double checked with contractor 1 and I think I explained the difference in price. Contractor 1 took measurements and quoted a 40000 BTU (he said 60 too big). Contractor 2, who installed the original system 20 years ago, just quoted me 60000 BTU to replace the same size as the 20 y/o furnace. So the carrier and Payne are @ 40K and the York @ 60K BTU. So I guess I can ask Contractor 2 to quote me the 40K BTU York, though he now loses some credibility. I am getting one more quote tomorrow (contractor 3), I'd like to see what sizing he suggests!

Regardless, it doesn't seem like people have a major opinion of York vs. Payne (if I assume a same sized of each brand is price similarly)

Post Likes
    Not really about brand name. The installation will determine how well the unit runs, not the name on the unit.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Manufacturers make very few components. Either furnace will probably have the same gas valve, same ignitor, control boards and blower motors made by 1 of maybe 3 suppliers, so ignore the brand name, your shopping for the best contractor you can find. What is the btu input and efficiency of your old furnace?

Post Likes
    Hi - thanks again.

The existing A/C is 10 SEER 2 ton. The existing furnace is 60,000 BTU, but I don't know the efficiency. It's close to 20 years old and installed by the previous owner. Can't imagine the efficiency is great!

Post Likes
    If your existing furnace has metal flue approx. 5”- 6” diameter then you have a basic 80% furnace, if you have a furnace with white PVC pipe(s) for flue exhaust then you have a condensing furnace at probably somewhere around 92% or higher efficiency.

Chances the existing 60K furnace is input, not output.

Post Likes
    Hi - it's definitely a condensing furnace. I have the PVC exhaust, but also I know that the condensation drains to my sump well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoldste5 View Post
    Hi - it's definitely a condensing furnace. I have the PVC exhaust, but also I know that the condensation drains to my sump well.
    “It's close to 20 years old and installed by the previous owner. Can't imagine the efficiency is great!”

I would consider a condensing unit even rated at around 92% pretty efficient compared to the 80%

If you want to know the rated efficiency of current furnace post model number and brand.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoldste5 View Post
    Thank you all for your quick replies

Well, I just double checked with contractor 1 and I think I explained the difference in price. Contractor 1 took measurements and quoted a 40000 BTU (he said 60 too big). Contractor 2, who installed the original system 20 years ago, just quoted me 60000 BTU to replace the same size as the 20 y/o furnace. So the carrier and Payne are @ 40K and the York @ 60K BTU. So I guess I can ask Contractor 2 to quote me the 40K BTU York, though he now loses some credibility. I am getting one more quote tomorrow (contractor 3), I'd like to see what sizing he suggests!

Regardless, it doesn't seem like people have a major opinion of York vs. Payne (if I assume a same sized of each brand is price similarly)
    I would immediately disqualify contractor #2 because he failed to determine what size is needed. This is the reason I don't do a load calculation prior to getting a signed contract. If he doesn't think his customers deserve getting equipment properly sized he should stop doing business.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in