Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Walkin cooler This will work.. Just need someone to do it for me

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Float'N Vally, MS
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Likes
    Let's look at this (as if it works)
    1) HP C.U. inside of a walking is taking up valuable real estate.
    2) Equipment NOT designed for the parameters it is operating in will use way more power. Very inefficient.
    3) Is there a better way to do this... Yes

    Then why??

    Oh, you got stuff laying around that you want to put to use... Go for it!
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    30,178
    Post Likes
    I can get a new 1/2 HP refrigeration condensing unit and evaporator for around $1500.


    What are you doing about the heat generated by the compressor inside the WI?

    Never seen a WI with extra space for a condensing unit.

    Don't forget that HPCU is not NSF certified so cant keep food in there.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,724
    Post Likes
    Not gonna happen or you'd have seen it done already. Anyone here seen this done ?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    30,178
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Not gonna happen or you'd have seen it done already. Anyone here seen this done ?
    Ive seen A/C condensers hooked up to W I Evaps. They somewhat work.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,724
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Ive seen A/C condensers hooked up to W I Evaps. They somewhat work.
    Yes and even window shakers but a heat pump inside a walk-in cooler ?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    30,178
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Yes and even window shakers but a heat pump inside a walk-in cooler ?
    Wasn't Kramers Thermo Bank a Heat Pump?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,724
    Post Likes
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    30,178
    Post Likes
    *
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    28,171
    Post Likes
    Probably on the Wall of Shame.


    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Not gonna happen or you'd have seen it done already. Anyone here seen this done ?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  10. Likes Core_d liked this post.
  11. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,049
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    The thing you call a heat pump condensing unit is actually going to be an evaporator. The real condenser (the thing you will be putting in the kitchen) is designed to have a return air temperature of about 70°F.

    You state that this kitchen will be 80°F? That's pretty good as far as kitchen temps go, but it's pretty horrible for a heat pump air handler. That's right on the ragged edge of where that thing will be able to function without tripping it's high pressure switch (if it has one).

    Hey, I just came up with an idea for you. Instead of a "condensing" unit and an air handler, Why not get yourself 2 "condensing" units? One inside of the box and one on the outside. That way you will be good for a kitchen temperature of around 110° or so (and you'll have a spare compressor for "just in case").

    Just make sure you have really high ceilings in that kitchen (and inside of the cooler) to avoid recirculation issues.

    Great idea!

    Get a 2 ton cu and a 5 ton ah..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    28,351
    Post Likes
    I don't think so - and there was no reversing valve. They just saved up (banked - get it? <g>) some heat to help maintain hot gas for defrost.

    PHM
    --------



    I
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Wasn't Kramers Thermo Bank a Heat Pump?
    PHM
    --------
    Socialism is a zombie. It never dies - even though it is constantly decaying and decomposing.

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    28,351
    Post Likes
    The other way. The low suction is going to reduce compressor capacity - not increase it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Get a 2 ton cu and a 5 ton ah..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    Socialism is a zombie. It never dies - even though it is constantly decaying and decomposing.

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,594
    Post Likes
    Just think …. no more cleaning nasty walkin coils , just replace the air filter and go home !

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    28,351
    Post Likes
    I don't know how he is going to deal with the R-410 charged HP.

    But let's toss around some general numbers -

    A 2 ton R-410 compressor (not condensing unit!) running a 30º suction will be pumping about 17,000 BTU's per hour. Charge it with R-407C and it will pump about 12,000 BTU's.
    A 10 by 20 by 8 working walk-in box at 34º will have a load of about 12,000 BTU's per hour.

    If the AH and the CU have pistons - that will work.

    TXV's will have to be changed to match the refrigerant.

    Stay with R-410 and it will short cycle.

    So??? What is this box going to be like?
    PHM
    --------
    Socialism is a zombie. It never dies - even though it is constantly decaying and decomposing.

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    30,178
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I don't know how he is going to deal with the R-410 charged HP.

    But let's toss around some general numbers -

    A 2 ton R-410 compressor (not condensing unit!) running a 30º suction will be pumping about 17,000 BTU's per hour. Charge it with R-407C and it will pump about 12,000 BTU's.
    A 10 by 20 by 8 working walk-in box at 34º will have a load of about 12,000 BTU's per hour.

    If the AH and the CU have pistons - that will work.

    TXV's will have to be changed to match the refrigerant.

    Stay with R-410 and it will short cycle.

    So??? What is this box going to be like?
    More like 24 - 36K BTU's depending!

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,049
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The other way. The low suction is going to reduce compressor capacity - not increase it.
    Nothing you can do about “low suction pressure” in a cooler... but, a larger air handler or “kitchen unit” would eliminate any concern about high head and get the most capacity possible out of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,049
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Nothing you can do about “low suction pressure” in a cooler... but, a larger air handler or “kitchen unit” would eliminate any concern about high head and get the most capacity possible out of it.

    Did i read this correctly? The outdoor unit is setting on the floor in the cooler and the indoor unit is keeping the cooks nice and toasty in the kitchen?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    30,178
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Nothing you can do about “low suction pressure” in a cooler... but, a larger air handler or “kitchen unit” would eliminate any concern about high head and get the most capacity possible out of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know many commercial kitchens that are much below 100°f but over sized condenser will help............….Until it gets packed with grease.

  20. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    2,434
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    Let's look at this (as if it works)
    1) HP C.U. inside of a walking is taking up valuable real estate.
    2) Equipment NOT designed for the parameters it is operating in will use way more power. Very inefficient.
    3) Is there a better way to do this... Yes

    Then why??

    Oh, you got stuff laying around that you want to put to use... Go for it!
    OK Use larger walk-in box.
    #2 "Equipment NOT designed for the parameters it is operating in will use way more power." Only parameter that may be off is AHU temperatures may be 75 to 80 ambient. Not that far off. CU is within parameter.

    I have free HPCU from jobs all the time. same with AHU.

    Not all applications are restaurant and health code. Hunting camp, beer storage, morgue

  21. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    2,434
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Compressor motor heat is rejected through the condenser on a refrigerant cooled compressor.
    Hey, Tesla didn't do a study of drive time listenership to determine how powerful the first transmitter needed to be. I just need someone with a spare cooler box- maybe a florist?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •