Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tornadohvac View Post
    The 22 number is an average. The bounds are between 15-30.hour
    That a pretty unbelievable number.....You need to check your math.

Your telling us that after all your fixed and variable expenses that it only costs you 22 per hour to run an HVAC business.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The company I work for uses somewhere around $80 per hour cost per tech.

Post Likes
    Has he told us what part of the globe he lives and works in?

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    That a pretty unbelievable number.....You need to check your math.

Your telling us that after all your fixed and variable expenses that it only costs you 22 per hour to run an HVAC business.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Has he told us what part of the globe he lives and works in?
    He has told us the name of one company they do work for.....US based...filled in the blanks.

Post Likes
    Not sure how they're gonna make it with that low of an income.

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    He has told us the name of one company they do work for.....US based...filled in the blanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Not sure how they're gonna make it with that low of an income.
    The idea of our current jobs is to focus on speed and efficiency. That is the only way to make profits. Obviously it doesn't always work to perfection but we are getting there slowly.

Meanwhile, we are trying to branch out to residential jobs because margins are way higher... My original post was how to attract the clientele. What do people on this forum use ? is it only home advisor , facebook, SEO, word of mouth strictly ? How do you successfully target the end-user ?

Thanks

Post Likes
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a tech was thinking about going out on his own, he'd be developing a great rapport with those at his service calls and gathering names and addresses.

There's another member on here named Jacob-K, he made a thread some time ago about how to use SEO's (I think they are called). Has to do with getting to the top in an Internet search. Might have been in a Pro Forum, which means you wouldn't have access to that yet.

I also think I remember reading something about how the Googler was going to mix things up so those SEO's wouldn't work any where as good as they used to. But don't have a clue what the status is of that tool is.

There used to be a guy that lived across the street, and when he broke out on his own, he did one of those home warranty companies. It was years ago, I think he said he only got paid $35 per initial call, but he wrote it off as cheap advertising to get his foot in the door. Then sell himself. He was a real hard worker though. As a child, he made a goal to be a millionaire by the time he reached 30, and he achieved that goal.

Direct mail is another way. I keep getting a letter from this one company maybe three times a year. For years. If it wasn't making him money, those mailers would've stopped. Typically, you can target the recipients any number of ways.

Be sure to sticker the unit after you service it. Even stickering the water heater if it is a more visible sight.

As far as social media goes, I don't know anything about that stuff. I'm not even on Facebook. This site here is the extent on my social media.

But word of mouth is the best.

The idea of our current jobs is to focus on speed and efficiency. That is the only way to make profits. Obviously it doesn't always work to perfection but we are getting there slowly.

Meanwhile, we are trying to branch out to residential jobs because margins are way higher... My original post was how to attract the clientele. What do people on this forum use ? is it only home advisor , facebook, SEO, word of mouth strictly ? How do you successfully target the end-user ?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Being in business for yourself
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes

Thanks
    Hay OP, what happen to "speed and efficiency" when a pretty girl walks by? Or the day after Super Bowl? Or a crazy hot/cold day happens by? Etc,etc. Not happening!!!

Post Likes

Thanks
    How about instead of focusing on speed and efficiency, focus on quality. Then you’ll not have to go back and fix screw ups because someone tried to hurry through something.
    At the cost of $22/hr I’m guessing your not offering healthcare or benefits?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Yeah, getting it right the first time is really where it's at.

Had a call earlier this week. Was a real head scratcher. Took me four hours. Bottom line, I knew I had to identify every single problem in the unit. That way there is only one return trip after the repairs are approved. Otherwise, there could have easily been multiple return trips wringing out the problems.

Funny thing is, I had no idea I was there for four hours till I was done. I was so busy, and my head was so into it, more like an Easter egg hunt than anything else, the time was just flying by.

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    How about instead of focusing on speed and efficiency, focus on quality. Then you’ll not have to go back and fix screw ups because someone tried to hurry through something.
    At the cost of $22/hr I’m guessing your not offering healthcare or benefits?

Post Likes
    I am definitely learning but we are actually having less trouble with the private residential customers then we are with the big development jobs. Right now, I am just trying to generate enough business to keep us afloat while we get our bearings. In terms of residential jobs, how do you go about in generating leads and how successful is it ?
    Website, Google Pay Per Click, Post Cards, Hand outs, Flyers in newspaper ... ect.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes

Thanks
    The margins might be high, but it will cost you more to get the business.

The best way into that market is to offer an equipment maintenance at a reasonable price and offer a one year "no breakdown" guarantee, or you fix for free.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast