+ Reply to Thread

Thread: desert aire dehum issue

Post Likes

desert aire dehum issue

was called out today to look at dehum in (natatorium) pool room. unit wasn't running.

desert aire unit probably 16 yrs old, has digital interface where the lcd display doesn't light up, so can't do anything there. can see some faint figures when push buttons.

also has bacnet? I think control board will series of relay connections across top.

the compressors, fan, condensor fan on separate condensor coil all work. seems to be a control issue. also has two sensors in the intake in pool room.

anybody have any input on this setup. no diagrams or manuals w unit. sensed he wants to fix vs replace, not sure if you can still get the parts, or can retrofit new for the old.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Inspect the inlet side of the coils, if they are trashed, recommend unit replacement. They are looking at 20-30k for equipment only, depending on size. BUT...life expectancy of a pool unit is only 10-12 years.

Desert air has some decent support...utilize them and their recommendations.

Post Likes
    The coils didn't look eaten up, but told cust at 16 yrs old, was likely service life or unit. also, that's good for any heat pump as well/

went to DA site, got ph number to call. their discontinued stuff isnt readily available on the site.

Post Likes
    I had the similar issue with the controller on my customers unit as well, it ended needing a new display and board. The controller was made by Carel, not sure if it's the same or not. You can contact them at 2629467400, they we're pretty helpful.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    thanks both, I got the same # off site. it was a johson controls branded disply, tied into unit w short phone cord tyoe connector.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Inspect the inlet side of the coils, if they are trashed, recommend unit replacement. They are looking at 20-30k for equipment only, depending on size. BUT...life expectancy of a pool unit is only 10-12 years.

Desert air has some decent support...utilize them and their recommendations.
    My customer coils are shot like you've said. They are too cheap to replace the unit though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    replacing the unit is still cheaper than rotting out the pool structure.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    thanks both, I got the same # off site. it was a johson controls branded disply, tied into unit w short phone cord tyoe connector.
    I had an issue with one of those controllers mounted remotely. We got a replacement that worked, but there was something different about it from the original, which I don't remember. This was about 5-6 years ago now.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    As long as the system is mechanically/electrically good install a hard wired control system including over the counter controls. I've done this many times if the original control manufacturer gives me any static. It's a dehumidification system first so it needs a good mechanical humidity sensor and not an electronic sensor. If it also heats the pool primarily or secondary then you need to figure out the sequence of operation. Most Desert Aire do not heat the pool water as a primary function but uses a boiler of some type located in the building. Then if it has the option of A/C then that sequence needs to be taken into consideration.

I've rebuild a number of these systems & you can find the parts typically from the original manufacturer. I have systems in the field now that are going on 25 years & still working almost like new.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in