Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Western Enterprises Nitrogen regulator for brazing, purging and testing

Just bought a new N2 regulator from WE and was playing with it. I'd be interested in any comments from those who use them. I did a search and read all I could, but it seems to me that on braze it puts out a WHOLE lot more N2 than a flow meter or other way of regulating flow. I admit I haven't brazed with it yet, but it sure looks like too much.
    Any help before I use it would be appreciated, as I can still return it.

Post Likes
    I had one, and I didn't like it because it does NOT limit the amount of pressure when in braze mode. If you don't have somewhere for the gas to go, the pressure will just build up really slow until it reaches whatever the set pressure limit is for the test mode, in my case 500 PSI - this caused an accidental explosion on me.

Instead, I recommend the ESAB/Victor PFH-800. It allows you to set a low level purge flow which also won't exceed a safe pressure limit. I got mine from Airgas for around $130.

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot for the info. I was leaning that way and you convened me to go ahead.
    Really appreciated.

Post Likes
    I like the victor edge 2.0 regulator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes, that is the one I was referring to, I couldn't remember the trade name, just looked up the part number from when I bought it. It's nice because it has both gauges built in, but they don't stick out the top and get in the way.

Post Likes
    I’ve got the 500 psi version of the western enterprises regulator. I haven’t had any issues with it. I always pull the schrader cores before I start brazing. It does seem to flow a little more than my old school flow regulator but I haven’t had any problems with sealing the joints.

Post Likes
    I have always used a separate nitrogen regulator and a separate nitrogen flow regulator.Works fine.This is the first regulator i have seen that does both pressure and flow meter.

Post Likes
    Not sure if either of these mentioned were the ones, but I seem to remember a thread that stated that the high pressure/test pressure was slow to achieve. It was as if it was regulated flow and did not "fill" fat like a standard regulator with wide open flow based on knob opening.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I'll give 5$ to the first person to give me one of those Victor edge's. I have the one the OP posted about, and i am having the same experience.

Post Likes
    Yes. Both the edge and western are slow fill. Its better than slamming 600psi to a valve.

The edge 2.0 has 2 regulators built in it

Post Likes
    My western flows way too much on braise.

Post Likes
    Yes. It can be an issue. I had that problem with mine as well if I didn't have a big enough hole for it to vent. As long as the shrader is pulled. You should be good to go.

The edge will never pressurize higher than what you set on the knob.

If you restrict the western in braze, it will fill up to 500psi when on braze setting

Post Likes
    I use a separate flow regulator when brazing ,and a separate regulator when pressurizing a system.Since I already have two separate regulators,This is of no interest to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast