+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manufacture Defects

Post Likes

Manufacture Defects

I thought it might be fun to start a W.O.S. post of manufacture defects. I'm sure lots of you out there have stories and pictures of stuff that was messed up from the factory.

I just got a callback from a custom Randell chef's table that we installed (about a 30' long prep table with cold rails and hot wells). What I found was that one of the evap fans in one of the under counter sections wasn't spinning because they put the solenoid valve right up into it. This same unit was also leaking water from a solder fitting that has to do with the hot wells, and I'm pretty sure they put old school incandescent light bulbs in the cooler sections with no door switches to turn them off.

My boss doesn't believe me on that one and says there must be switches built into the hinges, but I don't think so. I think they are on pumping heat into those coolers 24 hours pre day.

Also, this thing was ordered with R22 expansion valves so that it could be hooked up to the existing old junker of an outdoor condensing unit from the old chef's table that we tore out.

That last one isn't the manufacture's fault though.
    Whatever.

Does anyone else have any pics or stories of manufacture screw ups?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Pretty much every unit I work on I look down inside the unit to check for tube or wire rubbing.

just replaced a txv this morning on ht pump, 6 mos old. rubbed through the small tubes off valve.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Should just post a pic of every unit with a smartvalve in it
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

4. Likes Achso017, Metalman0880, crazzycajun liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Had a sensor wire landed on the wrong terminal of a carel controller on a Dectron.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    i bet this was a new person on the line and it slipped past the Q checkers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    ... and I'm pretty sure they put old school incandescent light bulbs in the cooler sections with no door switches to turn them off.

My boss doesn't believe me on that one and says there must be switches built into the hinges, but I don't think so. I think they are on pumping heat into those coolers 24 hours pre day.
    No need to guess. Put an amp clamp on the wires supplying the lights then open/close the doors. That will tell you real quick if the lights are switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Randell equipment is garbage.

I live 30 miles from the manufacturer so I see a lot of their product.

When I worked at a local university we had a new dining facility renovated. It included about 20 cold pans built by Randell. Within 5 years over half of these cold pans began having refrigerant leaks in the static evaps which weren’t accessible.
    They basically extended our warranty with the first few which happened within the first 3 years but the university bit by the time I left there the university had to pay to replace an additional 6 or 8 while I was still there. The manufacturer rep admitted that if I were to attempt a repair I should look in the corners of the pan. Which is great, except I am not skilled enough to cut and repair stainless steel.

So much for MADE IN THE USA being quality

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Its made in the usa when the staff is paid well and takes pride in his or her workmanship to day the latter is gone.
    It's bam bam get it done move on to the next one mintaility

Post Likes
    I had a unit where the wiring for the HP switch was landed on the fan cycle switch, and the fan cycle wiring was landed on the HP switch. Took me a bit to find that one.

Post Likes
    I've got a basic 5k BTU GE branded POS window shaker here that I picked up by a dumpster. It had the usual case of bad ball bearings in the fan motor because they use shielded instead of sealed bearings in these things now and water gets in them. I fixed that and it was still noisy from the compressor straining and over-amping with audible gas going through the cap tube.

This thing had major non-condensables in it from the factory. It ran great once I R&Red the charge via a piercing valve. It's sitting empty now waiting for me to braze in service ports.

I know you usually don't fix these things but this is an "Eh, why not?" project for me.

Post Likes

Manufacture Defects

Quote Originally Posted by danielthechskid View Post
    I've got a basic 5k BTU GE branded POS window shaker here that I picked up by a dumpster. It had the usual case of bad ball bearings in the fan motor because they use shielded instead of sealed bearings in these things now and water gets in them. I fixed that and it was still noisy from the compressor straining and over-amping with audible gas going through the cap tube.

This thing had major non-condensables in it from the factory. It ran great once I R&Red the charge via a piercing valve. It's sitting empty now waiting for me to braze in service ports.

I know you usually don't fix these things but this is an "Eh, why not?" project for me.
    I would be skeptical of that. You may want to do a pressure test on it before you call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Had a 4 door Randell pizza prep table that was delivered to my customer the day before opening with all the refrigerant piping dry fitted, not one braze made. Stamped off by their QC staff as passing leak checks and operation. I thought the owner was going to stroke out, I couldnt help but chuckle

Post Likes
    Installed 2 10 horse Heatcraft units with 2 QRC evaporators for each at a job. All 4 evaporators had the wrong transducers installed from the factory.

Post Likes
    Bump

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvac-bullycheck View Post
    Bump
    Hmm, looks like you bumped yourself right into banned camp.

Anyways, here's another one.

This was a headmaster valve that ruptured and released the charge from a little process chiller that has something to do with distilling whiskey. The unit was made by a company called "Thermal Care".

I was sent there to install a new head pressure valve that took us two weeks to get, and I noticed right away that it was a 180psi valve on a R410A unit. I thought "well that can't be right" so I started making some phone calls to Sporlan and Thermal Care and to the tech who originally diagnosed the unit and ordered the replacement valve for me to install.

The customer wasn't very happy when he found out that he needed to wait 2 more weeks without his chiller because apparently this is an oddball size headmaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in