Thread: Impossible?

Post Likes

Impossible?

Hi everyone. I'm a long time reader, finally joined and am jumping in. I do mainly marine hvac/ and refrigeration but every now and then get tapped to do something odd. Long story short I got a call from a high end home contractor who I restored and converted an old ice box for years back who has what seems to me to be an impossible request from a homeowner on a new job.

Small walk in, 4'6 wide 5'6 deep 8'6 high, very well insulated, corian lined custom built. They want to use it for
    Fresh Caught Fish/ Meat / produce
    Flowers
    Making cheese..... – which means by my understanding 50-55 F and 75%-95%

So a system that can have variable temp/ humidity, seems like 35-55 degrees and humidity up to 90%

Really THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY WANT TO DO WITH IT!! but want as many options as possible

I have contacted my local johnstone rep and heatcraft rep and both have suggested a low velocity CWE050 evap. 10degTD. Johnstone is quoting a baseboard heater coupled with a steam humidifier running off a humidistat to make the humidity variable, heatcraft just says good luck on that end of things.

First of I want to know what the thoughts are about the idea of baseboard heat/steam humidifier for humidity control.

Second, is there a disadvantage to installing a low velocity evap, in a cooler who's owners can't decide on a specific application.....

Thanks everyone.....

Post Likes
    DT would dictate humidity and runtime to a certain extent.

They should figure out what they want first though, otherwise it'll be kind of dumb trying to make it a multi use walk in.

I mean, it's their money but I'd rather install something designed for something specific that will do THAT well rather than something that'll do OK in multiple things.

My 2 cents.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. I agree with you entirely, however I also can't help trying to find solutions to people's odd requests, especially if they are paying me.
    I once was approached by a yacht owner who wanted to bury bars of pure silver in the bilge of his boat as ballast, encased in paraffin and have a treasure map made......so this one is at least kind of sane....

I'm thinking about not doing a humidifier, and using a 10 TD low velocity evap. That should be ok for flowers I would think if they go in and hand mist them (say they ever do). Then if they want it dryer in there i'm tempted to recommend radiant electric in floor heat (rather than Johnstone's suggested baseboard) so there is more uniform temps to facilitate the dehumidifying....basically more run time without temperature increase equals less humidity if i'm thinking about it right. Certainly wont win any energy efficiency awards

Post Likes
    Removing less moisture would be a better option than adding moisture
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    I would agree with just not removing as much moisture.

You'd need 10* TD or less I would think, but you can always just get it all set up and play with the charge or the TXV.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your time guys. So we like the idea of starting with higher humidity box and dehumidifying. Any downside to going to an 8 or 9TD evap?
    Any thoughts on dehumidifying method?

Seems like desiccant styles are not controllable to the degree they would want, so i'm leaning towards adding heat to the room somehow (in floor or baseboard) but there are also stand alone dehumidifiers..... like ones made by mmair dot com (wont let me post the link)

Post Likes
    Use a standard low-profile unit cooler (like a Bohn ADT) sized for an 8°F TD and add a fan speed controller, essentially creating a variable capacity evaporator to allow adjusting of the evaporator TD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm a long time reader, finally joined and am jumping in. I do mainly marine hvac/ and refrigeration but every now and then get tapped to do something odd. Long story short I got a call from a high end home contractor who I restored and converted an old ice box for years back who has what seems to me to be an impossible request from a homeowner on a new job.

Small walk in, 4'6 wide 5'6 deep 8'6 high, very well insulated, corian lined custom built. They want to use it for
    Fresh Caught Fish/ Meat / produce
    Flowers
    Making cheese..... – which means by my understanding 50-55 F and 75%-95%

So a system that can have variable temp/ humidity, seems like 35-55 degrees and humidity up to 90%

Really THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY WANT TO DO WITH IT!! but want as many options as possible

I have contacted my local johnstone rep and heatcraft rep and both have suggested a low velocity CWE050 evap. 10degTD. Johnstone is quoting a baseboard heater coupled with a steam humidifier running off a humidistat to make the humidity variable, heatcraft just says good luck on that end of things.

First of I want to know what the thoughts are about the idea of baseboard heat/steam humidifier for humidity control.

Second, is there a disadvantage to installing a low velocity evap, in a cooler who's owners can't decide on a specific application.....

Thanks everyone.....
    Equipment selection is determined by what the box is designed for.

35 - 55°F and low too 90%RH

Not Going to Happen in one design.

When they decide what they want you can have it engineered