Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 23 of 23

Thread: Good company

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    So far I've seen attempts to repair equipment considering it's commercial. Can't answer the other questions becuase we have not done that type of work yet.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Are you given the:

    Time to complete tasks or hurried to move on

    Assistance when needed or your on your own

    Offered training or do you have to beg
    From what I've seen so far the techs are giving the amount of time to complete tasks. But there is a sense of rush to finish from the tech himself

    The techs seem to talk alot to eachother. I'm doing a ride along for the first few months so I always have someone to ask questions to.

    Every one is giving training once a year for a weeks at a time. Encourage to go to training at supply houses. Just know of that

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Do you get paid commission or otherwise offered bonuses for selling parts or equipment.
    No, not that I'm aware of

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I feel like I am a add on since I'm new to the industry with no previous experience. I might need to check with a few more techs to get their years.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OscHvacr View Post
    From what I've seen so far the techs are giving the amount of time to complete tasks. But there is a sense of rush to finish from the tech himself

    The techs seem to talk alot to eachother. I'm doing a ride along for the first few months so I always have someone to ask questions to.

    Every one is giving training once a year for a weeks at a time. Encourage to go to training at supply houses. Just know of that

    So far I've seen attempts to repair equipment considering it's commercial. Can't answer the other questions becuase we have not done that type of work yet.

    It sounds like you may be concerned with what you hear the other techs talking about to each other.

    It sounds that you are being given a decent opportunity with what I read. Even if it isn't the best company there is still a lot you can learn. If you have some schooling you may be able to tell what is proper procedure and what isn't. Even if it isn't I wouldn't correct your trainer but just learn and observe and do what is right when you are on your own. It is easy to pick up bad habits so be careful of that.

    The "attempts to repair equipment" was funny. Are you saying that the attempts are failing?

    Be a good helper and learn where parts and tools go. Clean up the work site and don't leave trash in the truck etc. Questions are always good but learn when to ask them. Sometimes it is better between calls to go over the previous call. If you are lucky they will explain as they go along.

    Good luck
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    11,673
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I have seen many a technician fix things that were better off replaced. A customer deserves options and to be educated, it is a good service tech that offers that to them. And a tech deserves to be compensated for their skills. They both are skills and many techs cannot do both well or even appreciate that fact.
    Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you a commercial tech? This is rarer in commercial applications and rightly so imo. Just because some companies abuse this aspect does not mean that all do and that it cannot be done right.
    Correct, Im commercial/industrial.
    And I do agree that the customer deserves options and advice. Its our responsibility to help them with the problem and solution.
    But the commission based pay I see flawed. The push for sales as well.
    Ive never seen it done right, as you say. As in ever.
    The guys push for sales and dont get enough training to diagnose themselves out of a wet paper bag.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

    Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    11,673
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OscHvacr View Post
    I feel like I am a add on since I'm new to the industry with no previous experience. I might need to check with a few more techs to get their years.
    We were all there once. Take a breath. Ask questions. Be a good helper and learn from every mistake.
    Things will start sticking and light bulbs will start going off with how things work.
    Are you enrolled in any sort of class or school?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

    Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Correct, Im commercial/industrial.
    And I do agree that the customer deserves options and advice. Its our responsibility to help them with the problem and solution.
    But the commission based pay I see flawed. The push for sales as well.
    Ive never seen it done right, as you say. As in ever.
    The guys push for sales and dont get enough training to diagnose themselves out of a wet paper bag.
    So you are a commercial tech where it isn't common and you say that you haven't seen it. That doesn't really mean that much. Do you have to see everything to believe it? I have worked both commercial and residential but mainly residential and I have seen it done right. I have seen many good residential techs that educate and give the customer options and get compensated for it. There are companies that take advantage of this and if you read my posts in this thread you would see that I address it. I asked if meetings are about sales only and I say that there should be a repair replace option to the customer.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    11,673
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    So you are a commercial tech where it isn't common and you say that you haven't seen it. That doesn't really mean that much. Do you have to see everything to believe it? I have worked both commercial and residential but mainly residential and I have seen it done right. I have seen many good residential techs that educate and give the customer options and get compensated for it. There are companies that take advantage of this and if you read my posts in this thread you would see that I address it. I asked if meetings are about sales only and I say that there should be a repair replace option to the customer.
    I don’t mean to start an argument or anything, perhaps we should continue this conversation in a separate thread or via PM to avoid hijacking the OPs thread.
    But that’s my experience via 19 years in the trade working for both residential and commercial companies, and the direct words of close friends working long term in the trade.
    I also like to educate the customer. But I don’t want or need a bonus if a service call sells a new 3 ton unit. That’s just part of my job covered by my hourly wage.
    Maybe we can agree to disagree.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

    Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    I don’t mean to start an argument or anything, perhaps we should continue this conversation in a separate thread or via PM to avoid hijacking the OPs thread.
    But that’s my experience via 19 years in the trade working for both residential and commercial companies, and the direct words of close friends working long term in the trade.
    I also like to educate the customer. But I don’t want or need a bonus if a service call sells a new 3 ton unit. That’s just part of my job covered by my hourly wage.
    Maybe we can agree to disagree.
    I agree, start a new thread. Please do. Not arguing just pointing out what I see as facts and standing up for a segment that gets ridiculed more than it should.

    It can and is abused by some but it isn't by all techs and companies that offer incentives. Incentives are more common now than ever and there is a general point it seems to me that techs are underpaid in general. Except of course by owners. I don't see how one can reconcile those two points. You can turn down money if you want because you are probably paid differently than the than most residential techs. Many feel the way you do because they find it hard to educate and offer the customer options. It is rare to find techs who have both skills. Your point would be no different than a so called salestech saying they deserve as much as you do because they are as if not more valuable to the company.

    In this thread and others I have brought out points that need to be talked about with this trend but to say it is wrong outright is just as wrong. You seem to think that because you feel you aere paid properly that others shouldn't want to be compensated better for their skills.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •