Post Likes

supco m500 megohmeter

Is the Supco M500 a good megohmeter? There sales information on their sight is not overly insightful either.

It is defiantly on the cheaper side comparatively speaking, which makes me wonder. Something I anticipate only using a handful of times a year, so dont feel the need to get the $1000 ones. Or do I?

Mostly be testing 3 phase 30 horse and smaller motors. max voltage I work on 480. If any of those number matter when shopping for a meter.

Thanks for your input.

Post Likes
    Get a Fluke 1507 instead....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Is the Supco M500 a good megohmeter? There sales information on their sight is not overly insightful either.

It is defiantly on the cheaper side comparatively speaking, which makes me wonder. Something I anticipate only using a handful of times a year, so dont feel the need to get the $1000 ones. Or do I?

Mostly be testing 3 phase 30 horse and smaller motors. max voltage I work on 480. If any of those number matter when shopping for a meter.

Thanks for your input.

Is it a good one? No it isn't although for spot readings it was accurate enough given the ranges it showed. It was more of a sales tool imo. IMO do not get the Fluke that many have instead go for the Megger 410 or 420 it outshines the Fluke by leaps and bounds. Megger is a brand name not just a slang term.
    Unlike the Fluke it will actually complete the PI and DAR tests.
    Last edited by pageyjim; 01-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Is it a good one? No it isn't although for spot readings it was accurate enough given the ranges it showed. It was more of a sales tool imo. IMO do not get the Fluke that many have instead go for the Megger 410 or 420 it outshines the Fluke by leaps and bounds. Megger is a brand name not just a slang term.
    I will look it up.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I have the Supco M500. I know it is low grade, but for the handful of times I need it each year I can't justify a more expensive one. I do mostly residential.

Not saying you should go with that one, but it has worked OK for me.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    More importantly is to know how to use a megohmeter, what the limitations are, and how to use it in preventative or predictive maintenances. If memory serves, I think Chops first showed this to me. Very good read if you want to properly use a megohmeter.

Megger-Stitch-new.pdf
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    More importantly is to know how to use a megohmeter, what the limitations are, and how to use it in preventative or predictive maintenances. If memory serves, I think Chops first showed this to me. Very good read if you want to properly use a megohmeter.

Megger-Stitch-new.pdf
    Im halfway through it and thus far a top notch read. Thank you for the link to the article.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Im halfway through it and thus far a top notch read. Thank you for the link to the article.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??