Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

UPGRADED FURNACE NOT HAPPY

I have had a contract with company X for 14 years. They do a semi-annual tune up and I have had them do duct replacement a furnace replacement Condesing unit replacement and attic insulation. They are a little pricy but a very reliable. My problem is I am 85 with cancer and my son is disabled. I thought I would replace my furnace with a 2 stage. I had the semi-annual service on Thursday and I asked about the new unit. A supervisor came by Friday PM and we made a deal for the new LennoxSL28UH. He told me that would match the condenser. After the install next day I said to the installer "well now I have a complete 2 stage system" onlt to have him inform me the Condensing unit was not 2 stage. It is a Lennox Signature MNXC15 single stage. I called the company and they said someone would contact me Monday and not to pay anything until we had an agreement. This company also has in the contract a not happy clause that says if your not happy they will remove the unit and refund all money. So far that's fair. My question is Should Isince I found out I way over paid furnace only. Should I ask for a variable condensing unit or just have them take bak the furnace? I found out I can get a complete new system for what I paid elsewhere. I am also concerned about the evaporater coil. I found out Lennox was having a problem with leaks. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

PRICING REMOVED BY ADMIN

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tico Tiger View Post
    I have had a contract with company X for 14 years. They do a semi-annual tune up and I have had them do duct replacement a furnace replacement Condesing unit replacement and attic insulation. They are a little pricy but a very reliable. My problem is I am 85 with cancer and my son is disabled. I thought I would replace my furnace with a 2 stage. I had the semi-annual service on Thursday and I asked about the new unit. A supervisor came by Friday PM and we made a deal for the new LennoxSL28UH. He told me that would match the condenser. After the install next day I said to the installer "well now I have a complete 2 stage system" onlt to have him inform me the Condensing unit was not 2 stage. It is a Lennox Signature MNXC15 single stage. I called the company and they said someone would contact me Monday and not to pay anything until we had an agreement. This company also has in the contract a not happy clause that says if your not happy they will remove the unit and refund all money. So far that's fair. My question is Should Isince I found out I way over paid furnace only. Should I ask for a variable condensing unit or just have them take bak the furnace? I found out I can get a complete new system for what I paid elsewhere. I am also concerned about the evaporater coil. I found out Lennox was having a problem with leaks. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

PRICING REMOVED BY ADMIN
    So, you told him you wanted a new 2 stage furnace. He gave you a new furnace, that’s 2 stage.

You found out your existing air conditioner isn’t, so you want your money back, or demand a new condenser?

Sounds like your furnace matches the condenser, but there was a misunderstanding of what “matching” means.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    So, you told him you wanted a new 2 stage furnace. He gave you a new furnace, that’s 2 stage.

You found out your existing air conditioner isn’t, so you want your money back, or demand a new condenser?

Sounds like your furnace matches the condenser, but there was a misunderstanding of what “matching” means.
    What he said.

Who said, or how did you determine, you "way overpaid" for the furnace?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Your not paying for the name on the box, your paying for the best contractor you can afford. Finding a cheaper job isn't hard, finding a company that does good work and stands behind it even if they loose money to keep a happy customer, that's hard. Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor ain't cheap. Sounds to me like you misunderstood what the sales person meant by matching, a furnace has to be matched to the condenser to ensure correct airflow, if you have a 4 ton condenser then you need a furnace capable of moving 4 tons worth of airflow. As far as coil leaking goes, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE of the manufacturers had class actions lawsuits against them for leaking coils a number of years ago but that's been mainly resolved (for now) as everyone started going to coated or all aluminum coils. Sounds like you have a pretty good company trying to keep you happy to me, but go ahead and find cheaper, works out well for everyone coming on this site

Post Likes
    I feel for you and your situation, but I wouldn’t say the company did you a disservice by installing what you asked for.

Buyers remorse is a huge part of this industry because someone always has a neighbor or friend that knows a guy that installs equipment for 1/2 the cost. Well after being in this industry for some time, I can tell you, a good deal is only a good deal if RELIABLE, is not what you’re looking for.

I think that I’m pretty fairly priced, and sometimes I get blown out of the water. I don’t try to match prices, because I don’t want that customer. I don’t sell refrigerators. I install and service HVAC “systems”. They are “systems”, not just equipment.

You led the post with how reliable your current contractor is. So, I have to ask, what happens when you find out that 1/2 price guy is not going to answer your call on Christmas Eve when it’s freezing and your furnace is out? If your answer is, I’ll be calling my previous contractor back, then you’re doing them a disservice. Why? It costs money to be reliable and knowledgeable.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    He sold you a new furnace, not a new A/C condenser.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Matching to me sounds like “it will work with” existing condenser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post

He told me I had a 2 stage condenser and it is a one stage. He said the new furnace would be a two stage LIKE my condenser.

Post Likes
    OK! I told him I wanted to take out my old Goodman and match my condensing unit. He looked at the condenser and told me I needed a two-stage because my condenser is a two-stage. The problem is my condenser is only one-stage so he oversold. Because this company has been good for 14 years I trusted him. The installer informed me my condenser was one stage. I then started looking at different install costs from several sources.
    Last edited by Dad; 01-13-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Post Likes
    True about the old coils. It just so happened they used my old Lennox coil that has been there for years.

Post Likes
    OK! I told him I wanted to take out my old Goodman and match my condensing unit. He looked at the condenser and told me I needed a two-stage because my condenser is a two-stage. The problem is my condenser is only one-stage so he oversold. Because this company has been good for 14 years I trusted him. The installer informed me my condenser was one stage. I then started looking at different install costs from several sources. After doing that I figured $ was a little high for just a Lennox SL280V furnace costs about$.
    And I think $15 for a hamburger, fries and drink is overpriced when it is nowhere near that cost if I buy the stuff in the store.

So many things go into the customer cost and the customer rarely takes that into account!!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-14-2020 at 04:33 AM.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    OK! I told him I wanted to take out my old Goodman and match my condensing unit. He looked at the condenser and told me I needed a two-stage because my condenser is a two-stage. The problem is my condenser is only one-stage so he oversold. Because this company has been good for 14 years I trusted him. The installer informed me my condenser was one stage. I then started looking at different install costs from several sources. After doing that I figured $****** was a little high for just a Lennox SL280V furnace costs about$*****.
    Once again pi$$ed off because the consumer sees a price on line and doesn’t have a clue

Next time buy it on line and get someone to install it and see how really messed up a install can be

Post Likes
    OK! I told him I wanted to take out my old Goodman and match my condensing unit. He looked at the condenser and told me I needed a two-stage because my condenser is a two-stage. The problem is my condenser is only one-stage so he oversold..
    I thought I would replace my furnace with a 2 stage. I had the semi-annual service on Thursday and I asked about the new unit.
    At first you said you asked him about replacing your furnace with a 2 stage.

Now it’s that you wanted the 2 to match the same staging, and he oversold you?

Sounds like you wanted 2 stage equipment. He has given you the ability to install a 2 stage air conditioner in the future. Since you wanted 2 stage AC, it sounds like they did the right thing.

What if you found out that the only single stage units manufacturers make now are on the lower end of the spectrum of equipment?
    Would you demand a 2 stage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast