Post Likes

MERV 13, 4" pleated filter and furnace fan concern

Hello,

I hope that I'm posting to the right forum section- I'm a homeowner and not a HVAC expert. Rather, I need some advice from people who understand this subject.

I have been diagnosed with cat allergies, and have just started taking allergy immunotherapy shots. The cats belong to my wife and we need to keep them. So, as my therapy has just started, I'm taking all the mitigation steps possible in using Dyson HEPA filters, and vacuuming with a HEPA unit.

I wonder if I could use a MERV 13 filter, pleated, 4 inch thick for my furnace. My furnace is a Kenmore NTC6075HFA1 (attachment below)

Can my furnace filter fan take a MERV 13 4" pleated filter? Could anyone offer me some guidance?

Thanks for any help!

ntc6050fba1_manual.pdf

Post Likes
    Furnaces dont come with a recommended filter size or MERV, that's up to how much airflow your ducting can flow at 0.5" wc static pressure. Is your current filter 4" deep? You need to find out what your current static pressure is at the fastest speed you use (usually, but not always, it's your a/c speed) with your current filter and then find out what the pressure drop is for the MERV 13 and see if you have enough play in there to accommodate it

Post Likes
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer! My current filter is 4" deep.

Being a complete layman, I admit that I don't know what 0.5" wc pressure means.
    Is there a way to get that from the spec sheet that I've attached for the NTC6075HFA1 unit? There is a chart there for "Air delivery in Cubit Feet per Minute (Furnace rated @0.5" WC ESP)". Would this refer to the information you asked about?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    The furnace must overcome the resistance of the duct system, coil, and filter. Most duct systems are undersized. No chart can tell you what the static pressure is. It must be measured.
    A qualified tech can make the measurement and advise you about filters or other improvements.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    That HVAC unit was not instant designed as a whole house filtering system.

Post Likes
    OK, thank you, that helps me understand more. I'll have to contact a tech to help me out.

Post Likes
    Portable Residential True HEPA Filtration

https://air-purifier-ratings.org/air...-air-purifier/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    If you have health issues that are serious, consider adding fresh air ventilation to your central air handler. Also monitor the fresh air change rate and %RH levels in the home. In most green grass climates, home also have allergens from mold and dust mites. By maintaining <50%RH during mild weather conditions, mold and dust mite allergy are much reduces. The fresh air change will purge indoor pollutants and renew oxygen.
    In green grass climates, your a/c must be setup correctly to maintain <50%RH during significant sensible cooling. During evenings and and rainy days a small whole house dehumidifier wilth fresh air option will deal with all the issues.
    Units like the Ultra-aire include the fresh air ventilation and merv 13 air filters. These units connect to your current a/c.
    Here to discuss the issues that are sure to comeup.
    keep us posted on the questions.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    What brand of filter?

I compared a 20x25x4 Aprilaire MERV13 and a 20x25x1 generic pleated MERV8 on our system. The Aprilaire was under 1/2 the airflow restriction of the 1". Even a plugged Aprilaire wasn't that restrictive.