Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

You Are The One Responsible, To Protect Youself

A warning to hot heads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAv9BO2VQQ

Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

Post Likes
    Guy in the pick up got what he deserved. Someone threatening you in the dark.. even if they raise their bare hand at you could look like they were drawing down on you and you should be justified into sending them back to their maker or next of kin.

Post Likes
    Good study and good video...

Tuff to make that decision that quickly...

Glad I was not the one that had to make it.

OTOH... sorry for both parties; the deceased, and the soon to be new officer.
    The deceased does not have anything to think over...
    However the soon to be officer of the law... probably is gonna start his first day with a badge... more mature than his peers.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Maybe I missed something in the video but i didn't see any sign that the guy in the truck had any weapon on him at all.
    I'm all for the Uber guy's right to carry & his right to defend himself so I would agree that what he did was legally justified.
    That being said it also shows how wimpy our society has become when so much support & even admiration for the Uber driver's actions is given.
    Instead of the Uber guy being looked down upon for not having the guts to fight the guy with his bare hands, he's being applauded for pulling out a gun & shooting him.
    I'm not defending the guy in the truck & maybe he got what he deserved but where is the pride we used to have for people standing up for themselves without the odds in their favor.
    It doesn't take courage to shoot an unarmed man whether he is a bully or a hot headed drunk. So I'll stand up for the Uber driver's right to stand his ground, but I'm sure not going to
    admire what he did & say he did the right thing.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    It does not matter if the guy from the truck had a gun or not...

The guy from the truck SAID he had a gun and was gonna shoot the Uber driver...
    That is criminal intent... which is the key.

Might want to go back and listen to the Sheriff again (maybe a few times)...
    The law is not what we think it is... and when we are discussing legal matters... what we think is not important... what the law says, is.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    It does not matter if the guy from the truck had a gun or not...

The guy from the truck SAID he had a gun and was gonna shoot the Uber driver...
    That is criminal intent... which is the key.

Might want to go back and listen to the Sheriff again (maybe a few times)...
    The law is not what we think it is... and when we are discussing legal matters... what we think is not important... what the law says, is.
    I'm not disputing the law. I agree that legally the Uber driver was within his right to shoot the guy. I'm just saying that he didn't have to shoot the guy to resolve the situation. The fact that the truck driver did say he had a gun makes him fair game to get shot but it sure looked pretty obvious that he didn't have one in his hands. The Uber guy didn't have to stop, I didn't see any other cars on the highway so he could have just pulled away. He could have kept his gun on the guy & told the truck driver to get on the ground. He could have gotten out of his car & fought the guy like a man. He made a split decision to shoot an unarmed, loudmouthed, jealous, bully type guy. He had every right to do so but that is no reason to make him out as a poster boy for the right to carry. I'm all for the right to carry but guys like him give people reason to want to control firearms.
    Gary
    -----------

7. Likes davidadavis liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Maybe I missed something in the video but i didn't see any sign that the guy in the truck had any weapon on him at all.
    I'm all for the Uber guy's right to carry & his right to defend himself so I would agree that what he did was legally justified.
    That being said it also shows how wimpy our society has become when so much support & even admiration for the Uber driver's actions is given.
    Instead of the Uber guy being looked down upon for not having the guts to fight the guy with his bare hands, he's being applauded for pulling out a gun & shooting him.
    I'm not defending the guy in the truck & maybe he got what he deserved but where is the pride we used to have for people standing up for themselves without the odds in their favor.
    It doesn't take courage to shoot an unarmed man whether he is a bully or a hot headed drunk. So I'll stand up for the Uber driver's right to stand his ground, but I'm sure not going to
    admire what he did & say he did the right thing.
    I can't believe what I'm reading.
    He nearly ran the guy off the road. He flew out of his car, raised his right hand with his black phone in it and said he had a gun and asked if the Uber guy wants to get shot. He raised it in a motion mimicking how you would draw a weapon.

Are you freaking kidding me Gary? I'm truly worried about you. Not a joke, Gary.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    He nearly ran the guy off the road. He flew out of his car, raised his right hand with his black phone in it and said he had a gun and asked if the Uber guy wants to get shot. He raised it in a motion mimicking how you would draw a weapon.

Are you freaking kidding me Gary? I'm truly worried about you. Not a joke, Gary.
    You're wasting your time. He's the guy who carries a knife to a gunfight and then complains about fairness.

Post Likes

Gary is totally out to lunch on this. As a former deputy and academy grad with two son's currently serving as officers I think I know a little about this topic.

AOJ normally stands for administration of justice. Academy attorney instructors taught us to think of AOJ as

1. Ability
    2. Opportunity
    3. Jeopardy

You are cleared to shoot if an assailant has the ability to harm you, has the opportunity (at that instant) and you are in immediate jeopardy. All three elements were clearly present plus the assailant stated his intention to harm the driver and stated he was armed with a firearm as he held a handgun like item in his hand as he approached in a threatening manor after having forced the driver off the road.

The uber driver is a recent graduate of a police academy and I can tell you he performed as he was taught and as was practiced. These types of scenarios are presented in officer training over and over under classroom created stress conditions to simulate the real thing as much as possible. This exact situation was I am sure one of the dozens of example scenarios practiced under the "Shoot, Don't Shoot" training program. Every liberal ought to go thru that program. It is a real eye opener to face the reality of a real life shooting where your own life depends upon your actions or in another similar scenario you make a incorrect (instant) decision and take the life of an innocent.

Gary, I hope you come around and smart up some day.

Gary, you can't actually be serious?
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Post Likes

I wasn't always the pacifistic guy you assume me to be so you don't have to worry.
    I've had my share of run ins on the street. I've had guns & knives pulled on me a few times in my life & lived to tell about it & i didn't think this loud mouth guy was that much of a threat. You never know who or what you're up against so I can't blame anybody for getting scared & shooting but i surely don't admire someone for doing it.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    Gary,

What right did the guy in the truck have to tailgate and run the Uber driver off the road, 100% none. That action by itself signaled the guy in the truck did not want to just wish the Uber driver well and shake his hand. The driver of the truck yelled: Do you want me to shoot you? As for the Uber driver fighting the truck guy, was the guy in the truck bigger or smaller than the Uber driver you do not know. Was the guy in the truck jacked up on some drug you don't know. Had the Uber driver gone around the truck do you really think the guy in the truck would have said: "Shucks he got away, and gone home?"

Yes I think I would have tried to go around, but that road looked awfully remote and dark, we do not know how far the Uber driver was from someplace he could have gotten help from. Driving around could have escalated into the guy in the truck actually ramming the Uber driver and potentially being in a worse situation.

The very first time and every time I see the video I see something shinny the truck guys right hand and holding it gangster style. I could not tell if it was a phone, knife, flashlight, wrench … or a pistol. The guy in the truck was threatening harm to the Uber driver. In those 2 or 3 seconds the Uber driver had, if he did not have a gun he should have neutralized the guy, like driving over him. Same end results. The guy in the truck had no right to cut him off and attempt to do anything. The Uber driver had the right to protect himself from any injury.

Post Likes
    Folks need to watch the video a few more times... until they get the whole story...
    The (leftist) comments seem to focus around missing some important things the Sheriff said... wonder if we are back to 'selective hearing' again...
    (Oh, and GA is waiting for how someone is gonna spin this to be Trumps fault... )

This was potentially a 'life vs death' situation...
    There simply was NOT time to determine whether the guy had a gun or not...
    Being sure... at ones own expense... is just not smart... in reality, it is dumb!
    And make NO mistake... folks in most of the rest of the world (other than some liberal nests of un-reality) have the common sense to understand: one protects their own life FIRST!
    Now back on topic:
    That extra few seconds to 'be sure' has cost dozens of police officers their lives... and probably hundreds of CCW folks their lives also.

This is why the Sheriff repeatedly told folks:
    Do NOT get aggressive... you may well get shot (GA comment: legally shot)

IMO it is not a bad thing at all when 'street justice' is administered... it reminds folks to remember to use common sense BEFORE they make a dumb choice they may regret (or that may cost them their health or even their life).

There is NO risk free life... we are all responsible to protect ourselves from idiots...
    And the more idiots that realize they may well end their lives with a bad choice...
    The more respectful a society we will live in.

Note that NONE of us who carry...
    WANT to EVER have to draw and use it... NEVER WANT TO HAVE TO DRAW AND USE IT.
    OTOH... we also do not want to be victims... which is why we carry.
    Opinion: those of us who are serious about CCW... train and train and train and train... and did I say train...

This subject, IMO, reminds us all that there are two edged swords, which are just part of life...

Gary... for your sake... I hope you have good instincts, adequate to keep you out of harms way...
    Even though you and I disagree most of the time (it is my opinion you are more of a pot stirrer than a flaky liberal)...
    I would hate for anything to happen to you... if you actually followed your naive ideals in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Need to go run a call... not that I want to do this one... it is a soda machine...
    However it does pay the same call rate as a no heat... and the customer needs a new AC this Spring...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

14. Likes Brian8383 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Gary,

What right did the guy in the truck have to tailgate and run the Uber driver off the road, 100% none. That action by itself signaled the guy in the truck did not want to just wish the Uber driver well and shake his hand. The driver of the truck yelled: Do you want me to shoot you? As for the Uber driver fighting the truck guy, was the guy in the truck bigger or smaller than the Uber driver you do not know. Was the guy in the truck jacked up on some drug you don't know. Had the Uber driver gone around the truck do you really think the guy in the truck would have said: "Shucks he got away, and gone home?"

Yes I think I would have tried to go around, but that road looked awfully remote and dark, we do not know how far the Uber driver was from someplace he could have gotten help from. Driving around could have escalated into the guy in the truck actually ramming the Uber driver and potentially being in a worse situation.

The very first time and every time I see the video I see something shinny the truck guys right hand and holding it gangster style. I could not tell if it was a phone, knife, flashlight, wrench … or a pistol. The guy in the truck was threatening harm to the Uber driver. In those 2 or 3 seconds the Uber driver had, if he did not have a gun he should have neutralized the guy, like driving over him. Same end results. The guy in the truck had no right to cut him off and attempt to do anything. The Uber driver had the right to protect himself from any injury.
    Not only what you said about the goofball, but as he was aggressively charging he was saying he had a weapon threatening to shoot the guy!!! he ALSO!!! raised his right hand to simulated pulling a gun and aiming at the Uber guy!!! Watch the video again. There is no way to see that coming at you and not fear you are going to get shit in the next couple seconds.

Gary, you really need to get away from the people your paling around with, turn off CNN, etc. And take a vacation. Get you mind back. Because you've lost it. Nearly none of the opinions you've spouted in the last year or two on ARP can be logically defended. Not you support of 3.5+ Trillion dollars per year single payer, not you stance on the harassment the President of The United States is receiving from the press and the democrats, and not this idiotic stance you've taken.

Gary, get some new friends. Ones with their heads on right.

Gary, your in South Carolina. Right? Is anyone around Gary?.........maybe take him under your wing. Help out a really good guy who is obviously in need a some guidance.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast