+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauges!

Post Likes

Gauges!

Hey guys, Been awhile since iv stopped by here. Been thinking about leaving the stone age gauge wise recently but just can't make a decision. Through my research and needs, I'm thinking about the testo 550s.

Some background. I do refrigeration as well as A/C. I have no issues with analog gauges except that they seem to have to be recalibrated often after a few months. No big deal. But then the clear plastic covers break or constantly fall off.... then the pins get bent... then i buy new ones. I can measure SH/SC just fine with analogs and a clamp on meter. Im just at the point where i really need a new set of refrigeration and 410 gauges/manifolds. For the price of two yellow jacket analogs im getting close to the price of a testo that could do it all.

Long story short, im hesitant to drop that kind of cash on somthing that may or may not have issues. The FP smart probes are intriguing as well but i think id have connection issues that would make them not worth it.

Thoughts? Experiences? All input is appreciated

Post Likes
    I use the newest FP sman. No wireless on my gauges, some models do. I use stand alone wireless probes when needed. I was very reluctant also to make the switch. But after 8 months of using these, I can’t go back. I do carry and use an analog set for when it’s raining or snowing. I take Extremely good care of all my tools. Batteries are still the original that came with mine. Field calibration for pressure. Both pipe clamps are also able to be calibrated. Micron gauge built in. I really thought I was gonna hate these gauges but I have been happily surprised. These do the job very well. I use mine almost daily. Good luck. I looked for months before I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Go with the yellow jackets

Post Likes
    You considered wireless? No hoses! ..and probably less money than a digital manifold.

Testo Wireless

Name:  LK3.JPG
Views: 979
Size:  95.9 KB

Post Likes
    I think if I had wireless I would lose the sensors all the time.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I think if I had wireless I would lose the sensors all the time.
    If they weren't in a little case, I would misplace or forget them for sure...

I like the absence of hoses and wires and the Bluetooth feature. I connect to an old iPhone I kept just for wireless tools. I can get the numbers leveled out, take a screen shot for posting on a forum or show the customer or whatever.

I just recently bought a wireless combustion analyzer...I'm liking it for all the same reasons.

Post Likes
    I had the sman 360 for 4-5 years, zero problems. Had to give those back to my old employer when I left and was going to buy the sman 380 but really wanted the wireless air probes, since they were the same price thru TruTechTools I bought the fieldpiece joblink probes. I've been using them at remote phone server sites without problem since last spring, the sensors will drop out for a brief second every now and then but reconnects real fast, at least with the MQ app. I was concerned about leaving the sensors on a job myself, but I found when I was done with them I'd take each one off and turn it off and put it in the carrying case, then check my phone before leaving to make sure they all showed off line. First time I used them I thought I had them all but an airtemp sensor was still transmitting from the return grille 100' from my van, also didnt have to stand in the 110* heat to read my gauges or go in the 150* attic to read temp probes!

Post Likes
    I also have the UEI wireless kit, HUB6. I absolutely love this kit for sure. And I use it often. But I use my SMAN way more. If I had to do over. I would probably get the wireless SMAN with the job link sensors and scale. All info is displayed on gauge screen. But having the wireless pressure probes are great for sure tho. Name:  IMG_3831.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  176.8 KB

Post Likes
    They need to make a wireless solenoid valve to attach to the charging hose so I can sit in the van with the ac running, make it look like a dead man's switch from the movie. Dont think anyone will come knocking on my window holding that

10. Likes Achso017 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For years I've been using Testos and love'em. I'm now at a rubber farm (tire plant) and bought the Fieldpiece wireless kit. I'd never go back to analog for troubleshooting and verification. They are just to accurate and convenient. I also switched to the Measure Quick app instead of the Fieldpiece app. It's much better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    O & M HVAC/R Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturatedpsi View Post
    You considered wireless? No hoses! ..and probably less money than a digital manifold.

Testo Wireless

Name:  LK3.JPG
Views: 979
Size:  95.9 KB
    A bunch of the chiller guys I know went to these.
    Don't need super long hoses and easy to carry.

ALso with stubby hoses attached they fit/clip on my tool bag.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    The wireless probes do look very neat to me. If money wasn't a issue, I'd buy them. Iv watched quite a few videos on YouTube of guys having connection issues though. I do alot of refrigeration. W/I in the basement, condenser on the roof. I feel like id run into issues making out not worth it.

And im not going to lie. Laugh at me all you want. But i havnt even looked at the smans because of the look. Just look bulky to me. Also think they look like a child's play thing. Seems alot of people like them though. Probably should get over it and give them a look.

Thanks for the input guys. Pretty overwhelmed with the options.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill_Guy View Post
    The wireless probes do look very neat to me. If money wasn't a issue, I'd buy them. Iv watched quite a few videos on YouTube of guys having connection issues though. I do alot of refrigeration. W/I in the basement, condenser on the roof. I feel like id run into issues making out not worth it.

Thanks for the input guys. Pretty overwhelmed with the options.
    I just saw a Testo 550 priced at $211...didn't realize they could be got for that price. I have one of those in the truck for back-up. The 550 has been a reliable tool for me...the wired temp sensor reliability was so-so. The "wire" loses conductivity somewhere.

Post Likes
    So far in an industrial setting, with lots of metal and concrete, the Fieldpiece wireless have performed very well. Two cinder block walls, metal roofs and in an electrical control room and I could still connect to my probes 2 rooms over! I was very surprised.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    O & M HVAC/R Tech

Post Likes
    I have the Testo 550's made in Germany still going strong, but get very little use since I bought the FP smart probe kit. I also have the iConnect kit, but....... ehhhhhhh, yeah, nuff said. The FP kit is just too easy to use; it comes with a very durable case so no issues with losing probes. No hoses to deal with is a huge benefit IMO.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    On a tiny bit of a tangent . . .

My last job was mostly refrigeration, and you'd have to gauge up on at least two out of three calls.

Now I'm doing mostly light commercial A/C, a couple of tons up to whatever the largest Intellipaks are. And I wouldn't be surprised if a whole month goes by when I don't need to gauge up. Other times, of course, I might be gauging up a couple of times a week.

Funny how things are; the difference between A/C and refrigeration.

Oh yeah, the newer analog gauges seem to not require much if any calibration at all. Not sure what they're doing different.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill_Guy View Post
    Hey guys, Been awhile since iv stopped by here. Been thinking about leaving the stone age gauge wise recently but just can't make a decision. Through my research and needs, I'm thinking about the testo 550s.

Some background. I do refrigeration as well as A/C. I have no issues with analog gauges except that they seem to have to be recalibrated often after a few months. No big deal. But then the clear plastic covers break or constantly fall off.... then the pins get bent... then i buy new ones. I can measure SH/SC just fine with analogs and a clamp on meter. Im just at the point where i really need a new set of refrigeration and 410 gauges/manifolds. For the price of two yellow jacket analogs im getting close to the price of a testo that could do it all.

Long story short, im hesitant to drop that kind of cash on somthing that may or may not have issues. The FP smart probes are intriguing as well but i think id have connection issues that would make them not worth it.

Thoughts? Experiences? All input is appreciated
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    i have the Testo i like them a lot
    i prefer test because not too big, FP a bulky and heavy
    only problem with theist is the temperature probe connector keep coming out
    quite annoying sometimes

Post Likes
    I have the Testo 550 set up, 2 of them actually. I hang them the same way I hang my analogs.

I mainly went with Testo for the small form factor, everything else on the market for a manifold set up is too big for my taste.

I hate 4 port manifolds, even on analogs.

I have had them a few years now with no real issues. Had one of the valves start leaking, but they sell replacements for cheap, so I bought a few extras.

I even bought a few sets for my apprentices, they all like them also.

For the price, you cant go wrong, and they have a decent warranty also.

Post Likes
    For what it’s worth, with two tee adapters you can use your existing analog gauges with stubby wireless gauges instead of investing in 550’s or sman380. This way you can enjoy the use of hoseless gauges on most units until you’ve got to add refrigerant.

Post Likes
    I didn't realize this but a co worker of mine actually has the 550s. He let me try then today. Im a fan. Light, small, easy to use. Think I'm going to pick one up.

The big selling point....i was working on a roof of a mall. Really narrow stairwell/hatch. With my bag slung over one shoulder and my gauges over the other, the handles would always catch the railing and hang me up. Annoying. Ther 550 was nice and slim, no catching.

Thanks for the input guys, it's very much appreciated

22. Likes heatingman liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in