+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indoor air quality - filters to remove smoke

Post Likes

Indoor air quality - filters to remove smoke

Hi all,

I need some help with a choice of components for a custom air purification appliance.
    Currently, myself and some other guys started working on a simple purifier, that can be made for peanuts on a mass scale with local panel cut shops, use locally available fans and HVAC filters to help us get through the fire season in our area and associated air quality issues.
    We're working with local filter manufacturers to complete the specification of the filters, but I have some concerns around selection of fans and a combination of the filtering media. As we're planning to produce about a hundred kits for the affected areas, we don't want the kits to be underperforming.
    The appliance we're designing will be constructed as a single flap pack kit to hold a pack of 3 different filters and a decent domestic grade fan. Since the appliance is being designed for residential uses, power consumption and noise level are very important. At the same time, the HVAC filter are relatively inexpensive and while we have a shortage of fans, various filters are available in abundance.

The plan is to have filters with the following specs:

- prefilter - F7/MERV13 grade
    • 508*508*51 or 610*610*51
    • filters resistance chart starts as 472 l/s at the 40Pa mark.

- HEPA option #1
    • Rated Airflow:245 l/sec
    • Pressure drop initial 250 Pa
    • Pressure drop final 500 Pa
    • Size(actual) 495x495x149mm
    • Class H14
    • Weigth 6.4

- HEPA option #2
    • FMHE-MP-H13-610.610.69
    • Size 610x610x69mm
    • Class H13 (99.99%@0.3um)
    • Pressure drop initial 150 Pa (1.5m/s face velocity.)

- carbon filter
    • 508*508*51 or 610*610*51
    • rated to 2.5 m/s () at 73Pa pressure drop

We aim at providing improved air for environments up to 150-200m3. The fans we want to use for the appliance are inline mixflow fans and available in 125mm/345m3/140Pa and 150mm/550m3/250Pa. When I speak to the manufacturer's engineers, they say our design will do the job as the fans do not create enough air velocity (I was told we can get a maximum of 0.6m/s with these fans) for the filters to create any sort of a reasonable pressure drop. This for sure underutilizes filter media capabilities, but we can live with that.

I don't want to blindly follow manufacturers' suggestions and want to confirm with someone who has a lot of experience with that type of application that our estimation are correct and we can use these domestic fans with that filter configurations.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. the project doesn't interest professional HVAC engineers due to the small scale and absence of commercial margin.

Post Likes
    Filters by them selves are not the best at getting rid of smoke. Try an Engineered air system which has a variety of air cleaning systems

Post Likes
    I was a rep for this unit years back. It really works! Had a person who had one in the baby's room to kill the diaper pail odor and was very pleased..

Sun-Pure Ultra Sun SP-20C

That said, it is relatively noisy at 68dB and the blue light is bright in a room if you are trying to sleep.... I have one I use in conjunction with my whole house Merv 15 filters during wildfire season or when very windy and high pollen.

The developer/mfg was a good dude. Had his own private YAK-19 airplane.. Do not know if he is still involved or not.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes

HELP

Hello I am new here but was wondering if anyone knew what kind of Air conditioner Air Filter is the best to use for getting the best Air flow I always buy terrible ones which seem to stop my air flow in house and can get very hot in here can anyone help me with Suggestions ?

Post Likes
    The plan is to have filters with the following specs:

- prefilter - F7/MERV13 grade
    508*508*51 or 610*610*51
    filters resistance chart starts as 472 l/s at the 40Pa mark.

- HEPA option #1
    Rated Airflow:245 l/sec
    Pressure drop initial 250 Pa
    Pressure drop final 500 Pa
    Size(actual) 495x495x149mm
    Class H14
    Weigth 6.4

- HEPA option #2
    FMHE-MP-H13-610.610.69
    Size 610x610x69mm
    Class H13 (99.99%@0.3um)
    Pressure drop initial 150 Pa (1.5m/s face velocity.)

- carbon filter
    508*508*51 or 610*610*51
    rated to 2.5 m/s () at 73Pa pressure drop
    I think this is your best option Kimberly

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in