Post Likes

advice on new package unit

hi, thank you for the add.
    little about me, i own 2 restaurants and am also the maintiance/repair guy haha.
    one of my stores has 2 rooftop package units which i believe to be York units that may be original to the building (mid 80's). Ive done work on them in the past but was never able to actually ID them because the labels are long gone. So my first question is, is there any other way to ID them? they are 2 condenser 6-10ton units but from the research ive done, it could be a few different models.
    anyway, the heat went out on one of them and it looks like it my need a gas valve. i'm not 100% sure on that so i'm just going to call my HVAC guy but that leads me to the next thing.
    at some point this year i think i'm going to replace the unit. this one is for the kitchen and in the summer it doesn't cool well and right now its obviously not heating so i think its time.
    before i start getting estimates i wanted to my own research. my HVAC guy is great but i always like doing my own research aswell.

at my other store i have 2 units, one being a Trane YSC120E which also has no heat right now. other than that its pretty solid. i've studied this unit and come to learn a couple things like its variable speed indoor fan motor and control or that its a PITA to replace the heat exchanger.
    great features, but I, being the guy that has to pay for repairs also has to think about what it would cost if i ever need to get it fixed + down time because of specialty parts.
    so with that said, what brands/models do you guys recommend? I'll know more about sizing once I figure out what the York unit is but it would be right around 10tons.
    I love the Yorks, simple solid machines but they just wore out.

thank you and sorry for the long read.

Post Likes
    Most units have mod numbers inside the elec compartments for that reason.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. I've checked all over that thing but I'll look again.

Post Likes
    May try google the wiring diagram number on the bottom of label also.

Post Likes
    About the only thing left on one of them is a wiring diagram and believe me I've tried running every number I could find on it.

Post Likes
    If you can post pics, someone on here will have worked on them. Also compressor tags can be a source of size for the cooling, Might be wise to pay or have a heat loss/gain done . At least you will have a idea what unit you need.

Post Likes
    To save money on the changeout and keep the units from sticking another 1-2 feet on the roof, I like to quote customers something that will sit on the existing curb. York is good that they haven't changed their footprint in some time so last 5 ton we replaced we stayed with a York brand and that saved considerably not having to charge the customer for a curb adapter. Some matches the curb adapter can be 2' tall making getting to the top of the unit to take the top off or change a fan motor very difficult.

Replacing a Carrier from the mid 80s on (with a few exceptions) besides another Carrier brand unit, about everyone else sells a Carrier clone so you can get a better product without an adapter.

Funny one was a 20 ton Carrier. Another Carrier family product needed an adapter but Trane has a unit that fits their curbs and slide a panel to fit on this unit's curb. Go figure.

Post Likes
    thank you, thats exactly the type of info i was looking. funny you mention the height. the first thing i noticed about the trane unit was how high it sat. off the top of my head i'd say about 12-15" and the unit itself is MUCH taller than the York. changing the condenser fan motor will require a ladder. on the other hand, working on everything else is eye level haha. guess you can win them all.
    My old York is a beast of a machine, are the new one just as reliable?

as far as the heat loss/gain, is that something any good HVAC tech can do?
    is there any where i can go to get ballpark numbers for a change out? i know price will all depend on whats needed but i've never done this before so i dont know if it will be $5000 or $25000. this is another reason i want to know what unit would be best for me so i can do apples to apples comparisons when i get estimates.

thanks again guys.

Post Likes
    I would throw the sizing on the companys giving you bids, although it may be hard to find one that does the extra work. I would ask them upfront what you expect. Most will just come out and get the info from the unit and do a like for like replacement.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I would throw the sizing on the companys giving you bids, although it may be hard to find one that does the extra work. I would ask them upfront what you expect. Most will just come out and get the info from the unit and do a like for like replacement.
    Yup, and this is exactly why i want to do my own homework and why i do a lot of work myself. thanks again for the help.