Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Can the intake thermistor in a window a/c be replaced with a much longer one?

Hi, new member here.

I'm building a small indoor garden (sealed-room) and I'm trying to decide what to purchase for my cooling needs. Given the size of my space and the wattage of my equipment, I'll need a little more than a ton of ac to be safe.

When gardening under lights, the ambient temperature should be measured at canopy-level, under the lights (but shaded, of course); not at the window or wall. There are probably some single-zone mini splits which would allow for the installation of an external thermostat/sensor--or perhaps even have an extendable sensor included, but my wife has vetoed the proposal of cutting a hole in the stucco for its installation. Most small indoor gardeners accomplish what I'm trying to do by purchasing a temperature controlled outlet with a remote sensor, which cuts power to the unit in order to maintain the desired temperature. This route is sub optimal. Probably leads to a lot of short-cycling and who knows what other problems. For $ I can buy a wifi-enabled, fully programmable unit which does everything I need except measure the temperature exactly where I need it to be measured.

If I were to buy said $ window shaker, could I have someone replace the 6-8" long thermistor with one that is, say, 10' long? (Assuming I could obtain the thermistor's specs from the manufacturer.) This would enable full functionality of the unit and a proper measurement of ambient temperature.
    Thanks!

EDITED by Admin for pricing not allowed.

Post Likes
    Indoor grow rooms are a different animal and if not done right will cause damage to the house structure.

Sorry I have no experience in indoor grow rooms, except I know they need cooling but also humidity control.

Best to get ahold of a proefessoinal that understands indoor grow rooms and the problems associated with such a grow room.

Post Likes
    Hope you make a lot of money your going to need it.

Grow rooms need large amounts of outside air that then needs to be heated / cooled to maintain temperature. Huge equipment with even higher utility costs.

That 1 ton wouldn’t do a small closet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    Indoor grow rooms are a different animal and if not done right will cause damage to the house structure.

Sorry I have no experience in indoor grow rooms, except I know they need cooling but also humidity control.

Best to get ahold of a proefessoinal that understands indoor grow rooms and the problems associated with such a grow room.
    Hi, thanks for the response!

Yes, I'm aware of the many, many environmental variables for which I must account in an indoor garden. Not my first rodeo.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't the existing sensor work if the wiring was extended to the length you need?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Chaunceygardene View Post
    Hi, new member here.

I'm building a small indoor garden (sealed-room) and I'm trying to decide what to purchase for my cooling needs. Given the size of my space and the wattage of my equipment, I'll need a little more than a ton of ac to be safe.

When gardening under lights, the ambient temperature should be measured at canopy-level, under the lights (but shaded, of course); not at the window or wall. There are probably some single-zone mini splits which would allow for the installation of an external thermostat/sensor--or perhaps even have an extendable sensor included, but my wife has vetoed the proposal of cutting a hole in the stucco for its installation. Most small indoor gardeners accomplish what I'm trying to do by purchasing a temperature controlled outlet with a remote sensor, which cuts power to the unit in order to maintain the desired temperature. This route is sub optimal. Probably leads to a lot of short-cycling and who knows what other problems. For $ I can buy a wifi-enabled, fully programmable unit which does everything I need except measure the temperature exactly where I need it to be measured.

If I were to buy said $ window shaker, could I have someone replace the 6-8" long thermistor with one that is, say, 10' long? (Assuming I could obtain the thermistor's specs from the manufacturer.) This would enable full functionality of the unit and a proper measurement of ambient temperature.
    Thanks!

EDITED by Admin for pricing not allowed.

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Hope you make a lot of money your going to need it.

Grow rooms need large amounts of outside air that then needs to be heated / cooled to maintain temperature. Huge equipment with even higher utility costs.

That 1 ton wouldn’t do a small closet.
    Hi, thanks for your response!

Grow rooms need outside air because they need co2. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

That one ton will will, in fact, do a small closet (depending on the BTUs your lights are putting out) and I know this because I've done it and I've seen hundreds of other growers do it on gardening forums over the last 15 years.

With all due respect, I'm not asking whether or not my choice of air conditioner is up to the task, I already know the answer. I'm asking about the viability of my idea to make it more precisely controllable. I've used a window AC without a controller at all, relying solely on its on board thermostat and in my experience, there's always a lot of trial and error involved figuring out where to set the thermostat in order to maintain 85° at canopy level. I want to eliminate that trial and error.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Wouldn't the existing sensor work if the wiring was extended to the length you need?

PHM
    --------
    I have no idea. That's why I'm here asking you fine folks.

Post Likes
    What you want can be done done a couple ways. Call a contractor and ask for their best controls tech. They will know the best approach based on the space and specific unit you have.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Is the sensor just a small molded 'thing' with a wire pair running over to / into the control panel area?

PHM
    -------

I have no idea. That's why I'm here asking you fine folks.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    A ductless split would be the best option, something that would do low ambient cool control. Most units just use a 2 wire thermistor that i would just extend the wiring for it. Also make sure the fan stays on all the time mixing the air, should be no issue.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Is the sensor just a small molded 'thing' with a wire pair running over to / into the control panel area?

PHM
    -------
    I'm only assuming so. I haven't made a purchase yet. It's an LG LW1517IVSM 1400btu window unit. If anybody knows this model, please chime in!

It's one of the most powerful units that will fit in my tiny basement window. My choices are either a) buy this unit or something similar, or b) wall-up one of the windows so as to install a mini split in front of said window, thus working around my wife's edict that I put no holes in the stucco.

Post Likes
    I think a mini split offers a lot more benefits, the cost may be little higher, but the right model will support cooling at low OD temps, lower operating cost and a lot more protection, Window units, unless designed for it, will not do low temp cooling, have much protection built in.noisy and in your case a larger hole to outside, that in a grow room is an easy way to get in.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    What would happen if you just made the holes in the stucco?

Really; what would happen?

PHM
    -------

I'm only assuming so. I haven't made a purchase yet. It's an LG LW1517IVSM 1400btu window unit. If anybody knows this model, please chime in!

It's one of the most powerful units that will fit in my tiny basement window. My choices are either a) buy this unit or something similar, or b) wall-up one of the windows so as to install a mini split in front of said window, thus working around my wife's edict that I put no holes in the stucco.
    PHM
    --------

14. Likes Core_d liked this post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast